1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Q4 2019 Story Competition is kicking off!

Prompt:
    Foreign Magical Regions (Setting outside of Britain)
    Get writing Folks!
    Dismiss Notice

News (that doesn't deserve its own thread)

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Taure, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
  2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's not a new idea and considered fairly mainstream for the space enthusiast community. Compared to throwing comets at the planet (which is one of the ways to bring some water back to Mars) a few nukes is barely a blip.

3. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    1,826+3348
    IIRC Elon talked about detonating thermonuclear warheads at the poles of the planet to warm it up. Not sure what the chain reaction is supposed to be, given that a nuke is indeed nothing on a planetary scale (multiple nukes?), but warming up Mars is something you have to consider if you wanna build cities on it, because it's cold as fuck.

@Perspicacity any insight on this?

Edit: so I actually looked at the article and remembered there's CO2 ice on Mars. Greenhouse effect.

4. Agayek

Agayek Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

The idea is basically to melt the polar ice caps and free all the CO2 and water trapped in the ice. It goes up into the atmosphere and has a greenhouse effect, much like what Earth is going through now, which will hopefully bring it to a survivable temperature with a few decades.

5. ScottPress

High Score:
    1,826+3348
    When in doubt, just do to the next planet what we've already done to this one!

/s

6. Otters

Otters The Chosen One DLP Supporter

7. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Swastika ride shut down at German amusement park.

Now there's a sentence I never thought I'd be writing. (Even if it's essentially just copying the headline.)

Er, oops?

8. Nevermind

Nevermind Auror

High Score:
    a) How the fork did no one notice that?! “It wasn’t obvious from the manufacturer’s sketches…” I mean, c’mon.

b) Of course the name of the park director is Braun…

9. Agayek

Agayek Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Weren't eagles also a big symbol for the Reich? I don't want to assume ill-intent, but everything about this feels like a ride designed by someone on /pol/ for maximum lulz.

10. Longsword

Longsword Groundskeeper

The Habsburgs, the Hohenzollerns and the Romanovs ( plus a lot of little principalities from Old Germany ).

11. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Eagles have been a part of German heraldry for over a thousand years, but I think in this case we can attribute it to the Nazi side of things rather than the Holy Roman Empire.

12. Longsword

Longsword Groundskeeper

All borrowed from Roman themes.

13. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Headmaster

14. ScottPress

High Score:
    1,826+3348
  15. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Minister of Magic

Late to the eagle ride party, but damn that was lulz-worthy, even if the stupidity of it all is startling to say the least. In any case, the eagle is, to this day, on Germany's heraldry. For obvious reason we don't call it the Reichsadler anymore. Now it is the Bundesadler; and in the state of Brandenburg it's the rote/märkische Adler. Both of these have distinct looks though, which differentiate them from Hitler's favorite eagle; and the latter are usually what you can see on Nazi iconography and idiots tattooing shit onto their bodies.

#notalleagles

16. blob

blob Seventh Year

Say, DLP, what's your thoughts about the Amazon fires? What should the west do about it?

It's your classic tragedy of the commons. Were I somebody that had a chance to get a huge jump ahead in life in return for adding a tiny brick to some nebulous 'climate change' about which I barely even heard (ie your average potential farmer in Brazil) I likely wouldn't give the slightest fuck about any recriminations from abroad, especially from latte-sipping privileged fucks when I myself can barely feed myself or my family.

On the other hand, we might as well get ahead of the curve and nuke ourselves into extinction if we, as humanity, deliberately set fire to the hugely important forests during a time when the actions taken against climate change are so lukewarm across the board already.

I think that it's the Brazilian government that deserves the vast majority of the blame, not the farmers themselves. They're not the ones deliberately crippling environmental watchdogs and the like or even inciting stuff like the 'day of fire' in the first place. Should the west use a carrot or a stick in such situations? Should we simply tariff the hell out of beef and whatever resources Brazil intend to get from it? There'd be little point in destroying the stuff humans as a whole kinda need if there's not much profit in it. Maybe go beyond that and put economic pressure in general if a country goes full retard like that, even going as far as sanctions?

I've also heard that the developed nations could simply pay them instead, but I don't think that's a good solution since there's billions of people that could argue that if those guys get paid for not doing <insert catastrophically idiotic thing for relatively small gains> so should they for not doing <another catastrophically moronic thing>.

17. ScottPress

High Score:
    1,826+3348
    I think we should return to the noble tradition of colonization. Put Brazil back under European rule so we can enlighten them about the dangers of climate change and Russia.

18. Imariel

Imariel Headmaster DLP Supporter

Ironically lowkey support this.

19. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Headmaster

Pretty fucked up and super racist guys, gotta be honest.
    --- Post automerged ---
    This is exactly what the United Nations and the international community exist for. It's a good thing the United States has such a well funded and staffed Department of State.

20. Nazgus

Nazgus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

Oh come on, should be pretty clear that it's almost entirely a joke.