1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Q4 2019 Story Competition is kicking off!

Prompt:
    Foreign Magical Regions (Setting outside of Britain) Length: 2.5 - 5k
    Get writing Folks!
    Dismiss Notice

News (that doesn't deserve its own thread)

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Taure, Aug 27, 2014.

1. DR

DR Secret Squirrel ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    LOL

My take is that Brazil needs to get with it. And if they continue to deliberately burn the Amazon down, then they should be sanctioned.

2. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

Can't be worse than Bolsonaro to be honest.

As for what to do considering agro business(generally the people you would expect to be pushing and benefiting) is pissed about this and not making any headway I am not sure there is anything you can do.

Sure bring the sanctions, that is indeed the correct course of action from the rest of the world and the sooner you do it the more I will be impressed. But Bolsonaro and his minions are completely divorced from reality(You can compare Trump and his significantly positively that is how bad they are), so it won't impact them and the conspiracy of corruption that set things up for this whole mess(Moro and Temer are the names you might recognize) is fully aware and doesn't give a fuck.

From my view here the country is heading towards failed state territory, or worse, and the willingness to do anything about that is simply lacking. Maybe as we get closer people will react but at this point I am not very hopeful.

3. sonder

sonder DA Member

Scientists have found a way to examine the phonon, the smallest unit of vibrational energy that makes up sound waves. [x][x]

4. World

World Oberstgruppenführer Moderator DLP Supporter

5. Innomine

Innomine Headmaster ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wow, that's actually fascinating. Is there some sort of explanation you have for the youth vote going the way of the far right? I'm assuming AfD is the far right party here.

6. DR

High Score:
    You guys need to nip that shit in the bud, we don't need another Russian puppet government.

7. Innomine

Innomine Headmaster ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pot, meet kettle.

8. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Well if you want to generalize it is the typical mix of (perceived) lack of opportunity coupled with the typical unhappiness with the existing political system heightened by the bitter inheritance of the DDR and intensified by the fact that a lot of people, especially the well-educated, move(d) away from these regions for decades now, leaving mostly the old and the hopeless (an exaggeration of course but the difference in education for example is notable) behind. The sad is fact is that for the local economy to grow and the social system not face total collapse in many parts in the near future those states actually desperately need more skilled immigrants/people but good luck convincing the people of that or indeed of convincing people to move there.

9. DR

High Score:
    THAT'S MY POINT. Depressingly.

10. World

World Oberstgruppenführer Moderator DLP Supporter

The district where the right-wing AfD got 50% of the vote has a grand total of zero immigrants. It's almost like actually meeting people might put things in perspective ...

As for the youth, Erandil hit on the main points of economy, education and emigration (of the skilled and educated).

Just for fun: a part of Saxony is called Valley of the Clueless, because back in the day they couldn't receive western TV and radio.

11. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Auror

California has further tightened it's vaccination requirements.
    http://kcra.com/article/vaccine-exemption-sb-276-sb-714-california/28972651?src=app
    Now doctors that give more than 5 medical exemptions, or the children of schools where exemption rate is greater than 5% will be scrutinized by the board of health. All of the doctor's patients with exemptions, or all of the school's pupilsw whohave exemptions will be looked over. Any that are not backed up by medical science will be revoked.
    Old exemptions will be grandfathered in, but will lose that special status if a child changes schools, or enters kindergarten or 6th grade.
    Those who do not have a medical exemption cannot have their child in public or private schools.

12. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

In today's shitty news... A solid gold toilet has been stolen in the UK.

13. Microwave

Microwave Groundskeeper

14. Majube

Majube High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Holy shit, that's another scandal for him. Lmao though, he looks like such a creep in that pic, I thought this was the cosplay thread for a second.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  15. ThePinkTomato

ThePinkTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ten bucks says the dude who 'felt it should be made public' is whiter than rice. It'd be a lot easier to have a real discussion about this shit if it weren't blatantly curated and timed for political profit.

Also shit, how hard is it to do a Lawrence of Arabia costume.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  16. Majube

Majube High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Of course it is Wize, look at Scheer in the article already tutting about how awful and 'revealing' of Trudeau this is when Scheer's said homophobic stuff more recently in 2005.

It's a shame yeah but god, how stupid of Trudeau.

On a side note, I'm enjoying the memes coming out of this already [​IMG]
    --- Post automerged ---
    ..More photos came out a long with the fact that he did blackface a third time.
    [​IMG]
    Can't even make this stuff up at this point, I thought this pic was photoshopped at first lol.

17. Microwave

Microwave Groundskeeper

To add:

[​IMG]

18. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Hey, does anyone know what happened with the Storm Area 51 thing? I hadn't heard anything about it in a while.

19. Imariel

Imariel Headmaster DLP Supporter

Three people took the meme seriously and wondered where everyone else was.

20. Rehio

Rehio First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    150 ish people showed up. Two people were arrested for things unrelated to the event (Alcohol). They had a bunch of fun with guards, took pictures, and hung out for a bit.