1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Q4 2019 Story Competition is kicking off!

Prompt:
    Foreign Magical Regions (Setting outside of Britain) Length: 2.5 - 5k
    Get writing Folks!
    Dismiss Notice

News (that doesn't deserve its own thread)

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Taure, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Order Member DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Also, I assume you’re not dead legally when your heart stops, if it’s the same as the UK, but when you’re certified dead which is like half an hour later normally, when you’ve had a chance to cool.

2. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Moderator DLP Supporter

Its like if an SBer was in a whacky prison movie from the mid 90s.

3. Quiddity

Quiddity Unspeakable

Ignoring the rest of this, who at Vox was fired? The only reference I can find by Google is to Carlos Maza, but there's no sign that he no longer works there.

4. Majube

Majube High Inquisitor

High Score:
  5. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    1,826+3348
    @Quiddity

Majube has the right of it. I could have sworn this happened in 2019 though.

6. Trooper

Trooper Order Member

Yeah, so I'm kinda stocking up on supplies here. Hoping there will not be riots, but no harm in being prepared.

The Ram-Janmabhoomi/Babri-Masjid case (Ayodhya Dispute) verdict will be announced tomorrow at 10:30 AM.
    Hoping that whichever way the verdict goes, the following violence will be minimal. All educational institutions have been ordered shut till November 11th in Uttar Pradesh.
    While I expect any reactions that follow will be muted here down south...
    This has the potential to cause wide spread riots not seen in India since the 90's.

Anyone in UP, stay safe. stock up on essentials as soon as you can guys.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  7. Faun

Faun Third Year

High Score:
    I think we can be a bit more optimistic about law and order situation. The vast majority of people prefer things to stay peaceful. The only danger to public peace is Hindu fringe getting too enthusiastic with their celebrations. Muslim fringe has been defanged for a while now.

8. Trooper

Trooper Order Member

I... don't really believe so. Not about the fringe. Not about the Law and order.
    Case in point, I fully expect shit to hit the fan, in Old Hyderabad, Aligarh, Lucknow, Coastal region of Karnataka, Pockets in Tamil Nadu, etc. Not in any particular order...

And there's news pouring in that Sec 144 has been applied in Bangalore. I'll need to verify that in the morning of course. But it doesn't say anything good if Sec 144 has been implemented in Bangalore of all places...

But I hope that I'm wrong in this case.

9. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

10. Faun

Faun Third Year

High Score:
    I am optimistic. When the Allahabad HC pronounced judgement things were under control. There were similar apprehensions then as are now. Preemptive state action kept things under control and it can do so this time too.

I hope Section 144 CrPC is imposed and if need be internet is suspended to stop rumours and mobilisation. This Union Government has displayed its readiness and willingness to use the coercive might of the State and I hope it doesn't get cold feet when the law and order situation might take pan-India form. If they can do it in J&K and universities then they might as well do it in the rest of the country.

11. Quiddity

Quiddity Unspeakable

12. Majube

Majube High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Vox Media owns Vox.

Yeah, my bad I assumed some of the 50 people let go were from Vox. I'll double check.

I can't find anymore info on who was fired from Vox last year(or if any were fired during that layoff), I'm just going to assume Scottpress is talking about this @Quiddity https://www.cjr.org/the_media_today/vox_media_union_walkout.php

tl;dr- Vox Media as a whole unionized in 2017 and they were going through negotiations earlier this year so staffers started a social media campaign as well as strikes. (Vox the site striked for example)
    https://www.inquirer.com/news/vox-media-union-social-media-campaign-20190605.html
    https://nonprofitquarterly.org/vox-...ch-agreement-in-a-new-journalism-environment/

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  13. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Order Member

It has. Fingers crossed that shit and the fan stay far apart.

14. Innomine

Innomine Minister of Magic ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Keep us updated guys. Don’t have much to add, but am interested in how this plays out.

15. Quiddity

Quiddity Unspeakable

Potentially, but I too couldn't identify it. And at that level you're starting to get into pretty normal churn for Vox itself.

And the union is a bit separate, especially given they settled, as you note.

Not sure why I keep returning to this. A bit pedantic, but the comment surprised me.

16. Trooper

Trooper Order Member

So the Ayodhya Verdict came out.
    Land to be given to Hindus for the temple and separate 5-acres to be alloted to Muslims for mosque construction.

Its been mostly peaceful till now. Or at least, I have no news about anything violent happening. But we'll have to see going forward. Too many vested interests have too much to gain by causing unrest at this point.

For the short term my biggest issue is how simple shit is going to become Hindu-Muslim bullshit. I fully expect Traffic spats in Delhi to devolve into Hindu-Muslim Violence following stupid off-hand comments.

Here's hoping people keep a sane head on their shoulders.

17. Longsword

Longsword Groundskeeper

The Muslims must be very scared so they will stay mum.

18. Trooper

Trooper Order Member

... You might want to extrapolate on that...
    Are you being sarcastic? Sardonic?
    Are you implying heavy suppression?
    I don't get what you're trying to say here...

19. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Order Member

Eh, that's not how it works. If the traffic policeman is a Muslim and the Hindu offender (for example) feels they can get away from the fine by inciting violence, they'll do it because the atmosphere is so febrile.

@Trooper I don't think he's being sarcastic or playful...

20. Majube

Majube High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Yeah, I couldn't find anything about Vox journalists being fired which is why I assumed he was talking about the union stuff as thats the only mass twitter stuff they did in the last year that I could find.

Or maybe he was talking about the Carlos thing. Honestly, I don't know.