1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

News (that doesn't deserve its own thread)

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Taure, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Don't forget tying it up in lawsuits.

2. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    The amount of people I've seen on Reddit today who either didn't understand what net neutrality safeguarded against and what are the possible consequences and "free market is best, fuck regulations" is astounding. I saw expressed trust that ISPs won't engage in fuckery and "well, I never saw it happen, duh". Yeah buddy, the reason you've never seen it is that it wasn't allowed. I tried to keep an open mind, but let's not charm ourselves, some issues are black and white.

3. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy Alchemist

Yep. It's not over from a very basic definition, but too many superpowerful corporations want it to end and are willing to do almost anything to have it end. Their donations to the FCC and other avenues are worth more than our righteous rage after all. That most people don't really know or care about NN is just the diarrhea icing on the shit cake.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  4. Nazgus

Nazgus Death Eater

Bit on the late side but damn, I thought Mexico had issues.

On the net neutrality front, I'm starting to realize why so many people give up on politics. Getting rid of net neutrality seems to be universally reviled by everyone not an ISP, but it doesn't matter at all. Money speaks far louder than we do in this country.

5. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    All is not lost. Remember: The courts have yet to have their say, and who among us is not an injured party if this deregulatory effort goes through?

The ultimate solution is, of course, for Congress to pass a law on this issue. If we all, regardless of political stripe, feel so strongly about it, we should shout it from the rooftops until something is done about it.

6. Nazgus

Nazgus Death Eater

I think this is the first issue I feel strongly enough about to look up who my congressmen and senators are and send them emails on it. This is just beyond a terrible idea in all the possible ways...

7. Solfege

Solfege High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

First I'm hearing about the US espionage program in China being significantly crippled between 2010 and 2012, with 18-20 informants executed or imprisoned. Very disturbing. Article came out in the NYTimes today.

8. Arthellion

Arthellion Groundskeeper

High Score:
    I'm regretfully uniformed on this issue. What is net neutrality and why is getting rid of it a bad thing?

9. Banta

Banta The Chosen One DLP Supporter

In short, net neutrality requires internet service providers (such as Comcast) to treat all data on the internet the same, no matter the user, platform, application, website, etc. For example, under net neutrality, Comcast cannot favor video streaming from Netflix over Hulu or Amazon for any reason (such as Netflix paying more money); in addition, Comcast cannot lower your connectivity to the internet because you're using a Chrome instead of Firefox, or because you use Google instead of Bing for internet searches.

Wikipedia article on net neutrality; John Oliver segment on net neutrality.

10. Arthellion

Arthellion Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Thanks for the info!

Also...WTF. Who in their right minds is okay with this? I'm a pretty staunch libertarian, but for the free markets to work there has to be some regulation to keep monopolies from forming. Net neutrality does that but for the web.

That's not even considering the end user experience

Heck, what about the political implications? A provider favoring Fox News website over CNN or something.

11. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    This issue is one which pretty clearly shows that conservative politicians are in the tank for its corporate donors. Literally no one wants to roll back net neutrality regulations except ISPs like Comcast (the root of all evil).

12. Arthellion

Arthellion Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Well obviously the solution is to make net neutrality essential to the running of big oil. The republican's head's all explode and America into great again.

13. Invictus

Invictus Heir

Thing is, Google and Facebook and Apple could just flex their muscles and beat down Comcast. But they won't, because they're rich enough so that doesn't matter anymore for them. Hopefully Amazon and Netflix and the like can pushback. Or the gold old massive net campaign like the one against SOPA.

Or you could bully your lawmakers. Brazil has net neutrality assured by law.

14. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    Hopefully they can push back, but a couple years ago, the ISPs had them by the balls. Netflix was paying money to not get bandwidth-choked.

15. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

16. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros.

http://www.rappler.com/nation/170744-timeline-marawi-city-martial-law

TLDR: Martial Law declared over Mindanao, Philippines.

That's 22 million people, spread across, a little under 105,000 square km of land, the majority of who are Muslims.

Why it happened: The local Islamic terror group (Abu Sayyaf, been around for decades and responsible for multiple kidnappings of foreigners) took over sections of Marawi City and several hostages on the afternoon of May 23.

17. Invictus

Invictus Heir

And Duterte is a fantastic example of why you don't elect wannabe action movie tough guys anywhere, specially places with real issues. Without a loyal and extremely corrupt police department to be run his racket scheme and local magnates banking it all, it's one failure after failure.

18. CareOtters

CareOtters Headmaster DLP Supporter

TOMD: Tree bukkake is making me its bitch.

Edit: derp, wrong thread

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  19. Invictus

Invictus Heir

20. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Order Member

As did Zbigniew Brzezinski, who is - was - possibly the most renowned and respected National Security Adviser since Kissinger.