1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

News (that doesn't deserve its own thread)

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Taure, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Innomine

Innomine Unspeakable Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You don't get prescribed fentanyl. It's 1000 times more powerful than morphine. I'm not sure about the US, but here in NZ and Aus it cannot even be given to patients in hospital without an anaesthesiologist present to monitor the fact that they aren't about to die

The reason it's available in increasing quantities, is because cartels have figured out that it's cheaper to manufacture than heroin (it's a synthetic opioid). And they then mix the two together. Drug users have no way of distinguishing between the two, and so a dose appropriate for heroin is a massive overdose of fentanyl. Thus the epidemic.

Dye
  2. Dye

Dye Second Year DLP Supporter

That's not entirely true since there are testing kits that can show the presence of fentanyl. Unfortunately most people don't even know these sorts of kits exist and even when people are aware, they don't buy them despite the kits costing only 2$. Part of this might be because the kits aren't as easy to get as they should be and another reason might be that people don't think their dealer would ever sell them cut product. I know a number of people who won't buy testing kits because "my dealer wouldn't do me like that".

The opoid epidemic is a complex issue that won't be solved in a long while and the numbers are just going to get worse with fentanyl analogues being imported from China in increasing amounts.

One of the analogues I mentioned is Carfentanil and it's 100x more lethal than fentanyl with an LD50 in the microgram range. Carfentanil was used in the Moscow theatre hostage crisis as an aerosol that was pumped in to the vents. 40 of the hostage takers died, 130 hostages died (probably more since the Russian government won't release real figures) and all of the other hostages were taken to hospital to be treated. A number of the hostages died over a year later as a consequence of the gas with others being permanantly disabled. This shows how dangerous the drug is and it's been appearing in the US and other countries in larger amounts of the last year or so.

I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers for synthetic opoid overdoses skyrocket over the next 12 months.

3. Innomine

High Score:
    Yep, pretty much agreed with this. It's going to get much worse before it gets better. At least Trump has declared it a national public health emergency. Not sure what that actually entails though.

4. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It means fuck all. They've had a war on drugs since the Reagan era. What it boils down to, and always ends up being: Drugs are bad, mkay. So we're going to classify THC and Heroin and Meth on the same schedule. Because Marijuana is a gateway drug. First you drink a joint, and then you smoke a beer. Its a long road of destruction.

5. Innomine

High Score:
    Yeah, I'm with you on the pot stuff. But pretty sure Trump talking about the opioids specifically here.

Yep: https://www.drugabuse.gov/about-nid...d-crisis-status-update-cara-other-initiatives

• Improve access to prevention, treatment, and recovery support services to prevent the health, social, and economic consequences associated with opioid addiction and to enable individuals to achieve long-term recovery;
    • Target the availability and distribution of overdose-reversing drugs to ensure the broad provision of these drugs to people likely to experience or respond to an overdose, with a particular focus on targeting high-risk populations;
    • Strengthen public health data reporting and collection to improve the timeliness and specificity of data and to inform a real-time public health response as the epidemic evolves;
    • Support cutting-edge research that advances our understanding of pain and addiction, leads to the development of new treatments, and identifies effective public health interventions to reduce opioid-related health harms; and
    • Advance the practice of pain management to enable access to high-quality, evidence-based pain care that reduces the burden of pain for individuals, families, and society while also reducing the inappropriate use of opioids and opioid-related harms.

6. Zombie

High Score:
    Google just lost a major copyright case that could cost it billions of dollars

So this happened. Sorry for the shitty site, usually something better crops up on amp, but it hadn't posted there yet.

This seems really fucked to me. I'm not sure of the semantics of it, but this is going to have further reaching consequences than many are aware I'm sure. Maybe this will push Google to go further with Project Fuschia to stop their reliance on other frameworks.

7. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    SCOTUS appeal next?

8. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

A shitty situation in Alabama.

9. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I knew I gave Alabama a lot of shit, but I didn't know how literally that was true.

10. Anarchy

Anarchy Fourth Champion DLP Supporter

R Lee Ermey died... this makes me sad. Portrayed one of the most iconic characters of all time.

11. Zombie

High Score:
    RIP Gunny.

You climb like old people fuck private pile!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  12. Mister Ferro

Mister Ferro Professor

Barbara Bush has died tonight at the age of 92.

[​IMG]

13. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

14. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 Prestige

High Score:
    Really quite execrable of you (of course, this is DLP, so...). One of the last good first ladies, I'd take her a dozen times over the first lady who came before or after her. Hell, she cared more about sledding with her grandchildren (and broke her leg) than keeping up appearances while she was the first lady.

15. Zombie

High Score:
    I read it with sarcasm.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  16. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Headmaster

E: Ignore this.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  17. Arthellion

Arthellion Ban(ned) Arthellion

High Score:

I mean her lasting legacy and focus as First Lady was for literacy and books. How dare she! Her crimes against the United States are equally as terrible as colluding with Russia! May we all spit on her grave.

/s.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/04/17/health/literacy-foundation-barbara-bush/index.html?rm=1

18. Zombie

High Score:
    I really think you're all overthinking this.

19. awinarock

awinarock Heir

20. BTT

BTT Headmaster