1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Next book title: Ghost Story

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Midknight, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

2. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

Ghost Story? Can you give the link where you found that?

If that's the title,my first thought's include Harry stuck as a ghost (or something like that)in some unknown parts of the Nevernever.

3. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Book of Harry as a ghost could be... interesting I guess.

4. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

From what I've been hearing, Butcher wanted/s the title to be "Dead", so I wouldn't put too much stock in him actually being a ghost.

Seems fairly likely that he will die, and the book will be about him finding some way back to the mortal world. I'm thinking something vaguely resembling any of the God of War "Escape from Hades" sequences, only with more fire.

5. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Could be, also has the potential to be total and complete failure. However the title seems more likely to be an allusion to Harry possibly being a "ghost" in the idea of being separate from the "human" world and his own niche. Mab did say that Harry would be "hers", my guess would be that Harry is rescued by Mab after he was shot and spends quite a bit of time in Winter/generally away from his old home and friends. He would essentially be dead to everyone who knew him, and thus a "ghost".

Or I'm over thinking it, a distinct possibility.

I'd also like a link too.

6. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Frankly, if it removes Harry's knighthood, i'd be fine with whatever the next book is.

7. Zed

Zed Third Year

I'm thinking the title is meant figuratively. Harry's believed to be dead by just about everyone, but is working for Mab as the Winter Knight. Maybe she wanted to isolate him from his old life so he'd be easier to brainwash, or she has some plan cooked up that involves him being thought to be dead by her enemies.

8. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Unless.....that voice really is his mom? Maybe good ol Maggie's been a ghost in the never never. This could be the book that we get more info on Harry's mom...

9. Brown

Brown Third Year

Book 13 begins one year after Changes, and opens with a bunch of Black Court vampires telling stories about the things Dresden has done...then one of them turns out to be Dresden under a magical disguise, and he kills them all for killing one of Mab's human favourites...that would be cool (just an idea).

I could get behind Ghost Story as in 'Harry Dresden is the scary story that monsters tell each other'. I mean, he's not quite the most powerful guy around, but unlike the Senior Council et al, he has no restrictions on his actions. He doesn't give a shit about starting a war (unless Mab does, I suppose). I'm really curious to find out how much control she's interested in exerting...perhaps she's willing to let him do his own thing, as that's what she wanted him to do anyway...

Should be a good book.

10. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It's all over the official forums, you should check em out, pretty good discussions.

Says it in here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMhc87l1pEo&feature=related

Funny, that'd be just how he described the skinwalker killing some folks, lol.

Yeah I said this in another thread, I'm all for that.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  11. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Oh sweet, Dresden ftw. Good links Mid.

12. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Thanks for the vid link, interesting stuff.

Also, loving your sig.

13. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

If Dresden's managed to cheat his way out of Winter Knighting by his surprise bullet wound, then I wouldn't mind a book dedicated to him rebuilding his home and tools of the trade.

If not, then him being a supernatural hitman for Mab would be good too.

Personally, I've got a vague feeling that 'Ghost Story' refers to him constantly being mistaken for a ghost as he returns to his old stomping grounds a year after being assumed dead.

Also: wasn't he shot into the lake that Demonreach is in the middle of? Demonreach that likes Harry and has scads of power, and is mystically linked to Harry?

14. Agayek

That's a bit of a stretch though. Demonreach hasn't exhibited any real overt signs of power yet, so while it's possible, I find it rather unlikely that it's involved in this.

15. Datakim

Datakim Chief Warlock

Has it not been established that the power of Demonreach ends at the shores of the island. I mean in TC even standing on the dock was sufficient to break contact with the island spirit, and he had to jump onto land to gain the benefit of that intellectus and to reveal to the gatekeeper that he had bonded with the thing.

The shooting happened far away from the island, it seems unlikely that the island could do anything at that distance. I could buy it if Harry had been killed ON the island, but I doubt the lake qualifies.

16. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

The Intellectus' limit is the earth of the island. Who's to say where it's reach ends? It's not that far a stretch to posit that it may have influence in the lake that surrounds it, especially considering how rare it is for someone to stumble across it by accident.

17. Agayek

I thought it was explained that people don't stumble across it because they subconsciously avoid the bad juju it radiates. I think it's Small Favor where they discuss it.

18. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It could possibly have a bit of influence over the lake (or the ground underneath it, as the case may be), but I sincerely doubt it. Running water is the antithesis of magic, so any power it might have would be lost not even <randomly chosen number here> yards out. Overall, no, I don't think Demonreach will help in this situation.

19. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ehhh but is that really magic considering that it is the Island? I couldn't say for sure but wouldnt it kind of bypass the running water thing since its moving itself and not being empowered to move by an outside source?

20. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The entire reason for the Intellectus' existence is the source of a leyline situated beneath it, so the entirety of its being is magic.