1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete No Good Deed by Ardwolf - M - Firefly/Star Trek

Discussion in 'Television and Movies' started by Nuit, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Title: No Good Deed
    Author: Ardwolf
    Rating: M
    Genre: Sci-Fi/Supernatural
    Library Category: Firefly
    Pairings: n/a
    Summary: Shaking the pillars of heaven is all very heroic, and can pay extremely well. But Malcolm Reynolds always suspected surviving the rain of debris afterward separates the truly mighty from the merely squished and icky… Sequel to Lost In The Woods.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5080324/1/No-Good-Deed

I'll preface with with stating that I've never watched any Star Trek series. I found this a few years ago and I always come back for a reread every now and again.

I'm thinking it's def more worthy of the Library than many of the current entries but it's by no mean perfect. 4/5

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  2. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I also have never watched Star Trek. I religious avoid Trek fics because I'm wary of the fanbase, but I'll try this out on your rec.

Although I'd suggest you edit the title of the thread to include the fandoms - I almost skipped this thread because I assumed it was HP.

3. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Same, but for Starwars. Fixed the thread title. I'll put this on my list to read. Been a while since I've read anything.

4. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    And now the sequel's been read, too.

Huh. Interesting. I wasn't expecting to like this, seeing as how the first story was pretty cut and dry complete. Watching the Firefly cast deal with the fallout of everything was pretty engaging, though. Most of my thoughts about this series are in the original post - the sequel has a bit of a different vibe, but still works.

I especially liked the way that the 'verse kept on spinning even after the events of the first story. The background details to things like the deal with Badger and Madam Li worked rather well as Firefly-appropriate plot devices.

4/5

5. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    A step down from the previous story, IMO. The Star Trek segment felt almost entirely divorced from the rest of it (obvious stuff aside) and less well written, and there were a few too many clumsy shout-outs to Firefly canon (I don't know if this is equally true of Star Trek) - lines borrowed from the show and film and reused here in similar but not identical contexts, which felt a bit laboured. The latter half of the story felt a bit padded, while elements from the first half just kind of...stopped, rather than get resolved.

Still, it's written fairly well, answered some of the questions I had after the first, and did have some nice touches. 3/5.