1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

North/South Korea meeting

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Microwave, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Microwave

Microwave Sixth Year

Seems Kim Jong Un and other North Korean officials have visited South Korea to discuss the future political climate between the two nations.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-43914208

Pretty surreal, since North Korea seemed to have been trying to antagonise everybody not so long ago.

2. TheLazyReader

TheLazyReader Groundskeeper

Yeah, pretty crazy. But bark is not bite. I can imagine a bunch of reasons one would make a show of strength before a peace talk. Also, didn't South Korea credit these peace talks to Trump's government? Pretty awesome.

3. pbluekan

pbluekan Auror DLP Supporter

I doubt it. Given that less than a month ago we had trump taunting 'lil Kim.

4. TheLazyReader

5. Agayek

Agayek Heir

I'm not sure how much of that is political posturing/trying to play nice with Trump's administration and how much is actually true, but the sheer fact that SK is willing to give Trump the nod for it either way is kinda astonishing.

6. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony Prestige

High Score:
    Maybe it's a matter of NK thinking Trump is the first US President who just might be crazy enough to be okay with restarting the war?

7. Hakairyu

Hakairyu Second Year

Isn't that what Nixon did with Viet Nam?

8. TheLazyReader

I take they'll achieve that by formally ending the war?

9. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

To my understanding, South Korea doesn't really have a say on whether they can end the war. It's up to the UN (basically the US), China and North Korea. At the time, South Korea was basically a client state of the US.

That said, I think Moon completely managed that by saying that Trump is the reason for the peace. Trump gets an ego boost for doing a minimum amount of work and can't really refuse to sign the end of the war anymore.

10. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Two scenarios are possible. Either the Norks have had a sudden and neck-snapping change of heart...or there's more at play here than we know. Which do you think is more likely?

Importantly, Chinese media, in a fit of investigative public interest journalism that demonstrates how internally worried China is about this, revealed that the mountain complex where NK tests its nuclear weapons broke open like an egg and partially collapsed after the Norks tested their latest weapon. China is understandably worried about being poisoned by leaking fallout from the uncontained hot zone.

Put simply, North Korea's sudden change of heart came immediately after they realised they couldn't test their weapons.

This is not a coincidence.

11. Anarchy

Anarchy Totally Sirius DLP Supporter

One of the speculations I've seen is that NK actually lost a lot of their scientists and stuff when one of their tunnels collapsed during one of their nuclear tests last year. There was a reported 200 deaths or something like that. So it might be possible that they simply don't have the personnel anymore to actually conduct the tests.

12. TheLazyReader

Wow you guys really let your opinion of Trump cloud your eyes.

But somehow you say Trump has done "minimal work" (I'm guessing the only work he does you consider is babbling threats and twitting), and the words of the South Korea's foreign minister is lipwork to appease to Trump, because he's obviously an ego maniac and needs it stroke from time to time?

I think the powers of the world deserve a little more credit than that.

13. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Headmaster DLP Supporter

We should give some credit to the State Department and the Ambassador to South Korea. Oh wait, the State Department has been completely beheaded and kneecapped simultaneously with no leadership and no new diplomats while existing officers flee from the department like rats from a sinking ship. At least the Ambassador did a fair bit of work. Oh yeah, we don't have an Ambassador to South Korea. Trump is not just incompetent as an executive, the man is comically, unbelievably incompetent. Trump's greatest contribution is his irrationality and desire to dick measure. Nixon tried the madman strategy back in Vietnam, as mentioned previously, but that doesn't do much to assuage or reassure the world. Being the nation-state equivalent to a naked tweaker with a molotov cocktail is not exactly peak diplomacy on our part.

14. TheLazyReader

https://nypost.com/2018/04/26/trump-details-pompeos-very-secret-meeting-with-kim/

15. Arthellion

Arthellion Minister of Magic

High Score:
    I didn’t vote for Trump. I think he’s a ridiculous president who hopefully won’t get a second term.

That said, to refuse to give him positive credit for this (even after being credited by the South Korean leader) is willful blindness and adherence to ideology that is no better than the tea party. And it’s the same attitude that got Trump elected in the first place.

If Clinton was president and this was happening, the media and many of you would be crowing her praises.

This is a Trump victory...and for once it’s a trump victory that’s beneficial for the world.

So yeah...I fully recognize there are other factors at play...but I’ll give this one to Trump.

16. Sauce Bauss

He is actively jacking off about Little Rocket Man and his big button in the article linked, so you'll forgive me if I'm not impressed at his acuity in the realm of diplomacy.

As for being credited for it by the South Koreans, every nation on earth already knows that if you pretend to like Trump he'll bend over backwards for you until he talks to someone that doesn't like you. The Saudis are doing it, the Emiratis are doing it, the Philippines was doing it, China was doing it, and all of our allies are doing it.

North Korea's testing site is compromised and threatening the Chinese with radiation, but of course that wouldn't be a reason for them to stop doing nuclear tests in the short term. It was the brilliant negotiating skills of the God Emperor.

As for Clinton, yes I probably would be crediting the multi-term senator/former Secretary of State for a diplomatic victory. As it is, we have started a trade war with China while spitting on our allies, attempting to dissolve NAFTA, pulling out of TPP, refusing to affirm NATO, trying to jeapordize the denuclearization of Iran, and getting into a kindergarten pissing match with a crackpot dictator from a country whose GDP is ten percent that of San Antonio's. His 4D diplomatic chess is breathtaking.

In short, fuck off. You might have a leg to stand on if you didn't leap to his defense every time, but even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Spare me your indignation.

17. TheLazyReader

Yet it was Trump who succeeded where Hillary (and Obama I guess) never did.

But clearly, this is all a big coincidence and good things happen despite Trump, who is doing his best to destroy the civilized world. Uh huh.

18. Sauce Bauss

He's not trying to destroy the civilized world, he's just trying to destabilize the US led international order by delegitimizing every relationship and institution we've built for the last century. Your dry aside doesn't contradict a word of what I said, because he actually is doing all of those things.

19. TheLazyReader

His results clearly point otherwise. I'll let them do the talking for me.

I'll reserve further judgment to after the Trump and Kim meeting, if it ever takes place.

20. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I mean, from the way I understood it, he's (Trump) a part of this, and everyone else is giving him credit because that's what you do when you want to make foreign relations better. AFAIK he's not actively done anything to foster positive relations at all. I'm not going to meander here because Sauce said it rather appropriately.

I was under the impression that SK has been doing all the heavy lifting. Not Trump. I mean you can link me a thousand news stories, but I don't really believe them. Its propaganda at its best (worst) trying to turn something golden out of this turd of a situation.