1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

Norway

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Taure, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Does anyone have any recommendations for places to go in (south) Norway?

I'm currently planning a trip for this summer. It´s so far looking like this:

Day 1: Eurostar from London to Brussels then catch a connecting train to Hamburg. Concert in the evening if possible.
    Day 2: Day in Hamburg, catch late afternoon train to Copenhagen.
    Day 3: Day in Copenhagen.
    Day 4: Spend morning in Copenhagen, catch overnight ferry to Oslo.
    Day 5: Arrive in Oslo, spend day in Oslo.
    Day 6: Leave Oslo to begin Norwegian adventure! ???
    Day 7: ???
    Day 8: ???
    Day 9: ???
    Day 10: ???
    Day 11: ???
    Day 12: ???
    Day 13: Catch train (from wherever I am) to Oslo to arrive in time to catch overnight ferry to Kiel, Germany.
    Day 14: Arrive in Kiel. Catch train from Kiel to London.
    Day 15: Rest.
    Day 16: Return to work.

So it's the ??? I'm looking to fill, largely with nature-based activities. I already have a few things on the list, like the Flåm Railway and Jotunheimen National Park. But I'm open to suggestions!

I'd rather do a few things properly than rush through lots of things, and I only have 7 days (including transport between locations) so I can't do too many different locations, else I'll spend all my time in transit. The key here is to come up with an efficient route so that I minimise travel time between locations.

(Currently in negotiations at work to exceed the maximum consecutive holiday time so I may be able to go over 2 weeks, in which case I would have more time within Norway).

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  2. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Tactical Tomato DLP Supporter

From what I've heard Trolltunga (sp?) is a must see.

3. why?

why? Seventh Year

High Score:
    You haven’t asked anything about Hamburg, but in case you don’t have plans for the day there, consider checking out the Schanzen and Karolinen viertel. There’s some flea markets in the area, if memory serves me right. It’s especially nice in the summer and there’s lots of cute little cafes in Schanze.

In particular, I quite enjoyed Sofa (a cafe/pubfilled with vintage sofas) and Hatari (decent burgers in the 10-15 euro range and they make their own wine). There’s another bar called Kitty which I quite liked. This info is a tad dated, however. Haven’t been there since last year/the year before.

There’s also a lovely park some 2km away called Planten un Blomen , which as you might’ve guessed, means plants and flowers.

Jungfernstieg is the fancier part of town (the other areas are more hipster-ish) and is more tourist-y. There’s also some cafes with a nice view of the sea. I hear Altona is worth a shot, but I’ve never been myself.

4. Wizard Giller

Wizard Giller Slug Club Member

I haven't been to Norway in 20 years or so but if you head to Bergen and want to do some outdoors stuff I'd suggest you go to Floyen - which is the most accessible mountain of the many that surround Bergen. There's a tram that will take you to the top and there are great views of the city from up there and from what I recall a few decent hiking trails. Also if you want to go cruise the fjords Bergen is probably a good jumping off point. The fish market might not be a bad spot to go for lunch and it's next to a line of old buildings called Bryygen and it's a world heritage site if you're looking for some culture.

5. Ninclow

Ninclow Fifth Year

High Score:
    I'm a Norwegian. Want some tips from me?

6. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    He'd prefer other Norwegians to give him tips.

7. CBH

CBH DA Member

Can't speak for Norway, but just returned from a similar vacation in Iceland. Favorite activity was without a doubt hiking across a glacier to explore an ice cave. Was a different, more beautiful hike than any I've done before

8. vad3r

vad3r First Year

I can recommend Flåmbanen and the entire Bergensbanen, it's a pretty spectacular train ride, it also brings you over to the west coast. Where many of the internationally recognized landmarks is located. Like the fjords and Prekestolen(Pulpit rock). Prekestolen is a easy hike which has now been made easier by having sherpas from Nepal making stone stairs on the harder parts of the trail, about 3 hours in total I'd guess?

Depending on your budget and if you're the biking type you could stop at Finse on Bergensbanen, its Norway's highest train station at 1222 m.o.h (It's also the location of Hoth from The Empire Strikes Back) where you can rent a mountain bike and take the The Rallar Road down to Flåm. It's a steep incline with amazing scenery. Then deposit the bike in Flåm and jump on Flåmsbanen and get back on the train.

Trolltunga is also a pretty cool hike but lies a bit further inland, it's a bit harder hike which will take about 8+- hours depending on your shape and requires proper shoes and clothes.

Jotunheimen is home to the tallest mountains in Norway Galdhøpiggen 2 469m and its neighbour Glittertind which at 2464m is a whole 5m shorter. Both have great views with good weather, but Galdhøppigen gives you the opportunity to go on a glacier walk.

But for view (and for interesting history sites) Gaustatoppen 1883m has them beat by being in Rjukan which is famous for the commando raid during WW2 and being a place which has no sun during winter. They recently put up mirrors at the top of the valley to give them some sunshine during the dark months. If it's a sunny clear day then supposedly you can see approximately 60,000 km² which is one sixth of the mainland. If you travel here, remember that the real summit is beyond the old NATO Radar installation at the top. It's also possible to cheat here by using the military elevator to get to the top and/or down.

They also have a pretty fun bungee jump there as well. Its expensive tho.

misc:

For Oslo download the Ruter-app(Same ticket on all buses, trams and trains in Oslo) because the ticket inspectors are everywhere and gets grumpy if you take to long to shows your ticket.

You can also check out:
    https://www.norwaynutshell.com/ For the different popular train routes.

Use https://www.ut.no/ to check out different mountain hikes and trips close to where you're planning to go. The site only offers google translate but it's pretty accurate.

I'll get back to you with more later.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018