1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Obscurity by Dynonugget - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Seratin, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: Obscurity
    Author: Dynonugget
    Rating: M
    Genre: Suspense
    DLP Category: Dark arts/Restricted section
    Pairing: H/HG done fairly well
    Summary: Harry lived all his life with a bit of Voldemort inside him. Now that it's gone, Harry expects to feel relieved. To his surprise, he discovers just the opposite. Dark!Harry. HP/HG.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4271806/1/Obscurity
    Link: http://dyno-fics.livejournal.com/
    The fic is hosted on a restricted livejournal and you have to apply for access

I've searched and I can't find this anywhere in here. If you can stomach the romance in it, it's a great read and a nice way to spend a few hours.

Checked by Minion, Nov. 15, 2012
    The author moved all his mature stories to a restricted livejournal. Thanks to SoS for the info.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2012
  2. DarkAizen

DarkAizen Professor DLP Supporter

Link, please.

3. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

4. Seratin

High Score:
    >_< That sucked.

5. Zarent

Zarent Seventh Year

It's well written, but...

Ungh.

It's really slow. It's 99% relationship crap for the first 4 chapters, and nothing else. I'll get back to it later, maybe, but this just bored me. Thankfully, I looked ahead a couple chapters, and skimmed enough to realize that it DOES gain conflict, but I dunno when it'll spark up.

6. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

So, I got interested and spent my day reading it. I was going to write, but what can I say? My inner Harry/Hermione fan has had nothing to chew on for months, and this was well written enough to grab my interest.

The fic is a character study more than anything else. The romance is the base; there's no action. If you can't stand Hermione, I doubt you'll enjoy this - she's the equal lead, and you are meant to feel sympathy towards her.

There's angst here. In fact, I'm feeling rather depressed right now. I got emotionally invested in the story - the author writes very well, with only the odd error in the entire 64k fic. The end is bittersweet, I suppose. Maybe unnecessarily so.

My main problems are that the major point of conflict wasn't too original, and Harry's descent into darkness, while paced perfectly, didn't truly get anywhere dark before the climax of the fic.
    Attempted rape leading to miscarriage
    has been done enough times. I will admit that this was one of the best incarnations of that storyline, though. The latter complaint will likely disappoint anyone who reads for a Dark!Harry story.

I'm doubting this is DLPs cup of tea. However, I did enjoy it. For the type of story it is, it's one the best. Somewhere between 4-4.5/5.

One last thing: I do question the point of recommending this for the Library when, apparently, the author is removing all of their stories from the internet at the end of July. Unless someone wants to copy it all down and upload it or something, in 30ish days it'll be gone for good.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  7. Seratin

High Score:
    Just to give a chance to save it before it's gone for good. Anyone interested in it can just copy it with FFDownloader.

8. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

I'll give it a final rating of 4/5. It was a bit angsty and at some points extremely tedious.

9. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

Why would you ever delete all your stories from the internet? Is the author stupid or something?!?

Anyway, i liked this story a lot when i read it the first time. It got a little bit to angsty when Hermione had her miscarriage though, so 4/5 it is.

10. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

A very good romance story, probably the only Harry/Hermione story I'll keep bookmarked iirc.

Writing was good, in the literal sense. I didn't spot any errors, though I can freely admit I wasn't looking for them. As for the content, no real action, it's purely romance/angst. If you're in the mood for that, this is one of the better ones.

Edit: Might want to change the DLP category to Romance/Restricted since that's what it's really about. Romance for the story itself and Restricted for the sex scenes.

Clearly enjoyable stuff, guilty pleasures.
    4/5.

11. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

I enjoyed it for a few chapters but then it just delved entirely into their relationship for a period of time and went through the usually retarded, slow build-up of sex scenes that reads like a nuclear arms race.

The portrayal of Ginny as a clingy bitch once more. I've read it already. God. Let it go and move the fuck on or find something else.

I really wouldn't want to stumble across this in the library, when I think about it.

3/5.

12. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  13. Synchro

Synchro High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I certainly enjoyed this one. It started to drag a bit towards the end but it has to be one of the best fics with this pairing I've read. Writing was good, and while the build-up to many of the scenes that were played out was hasty, I found myself reaching to click for the next chapter.

Good stuff, but maybe not everybody's cup of tea...

4/5

14. sincostan

sincostan High Inquisitor

The ending conflict is a little lame, but it's still one of the best post-DH "moving on" fics. Bio is right that Ginny is pretty lame though. 5/5.

15. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

I´m just going to add that the story on AFF is not very smutty at all, it has one smutty chapter.

That´s where i read the story in the first place btw.

16. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Story has been removed from ff.net and AFF, only available in http://dyno-fics.livejournal.com/ his livejournal, which is member-only and are manually approved by him. I'm not willing to make an account to get to it, but if someone decides to grab a copy and throw it at me I'd be happy to add it to the new archive.

17. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Thanks for the info. I updated the first post.