1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Ocean's Eleven Style Challenge

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Lord Ravenclaw, May 30, 2006.

1. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

What if Harry truly was the Slytherin the hat said he was? What if Voldemort never really came back that night of the third task, but rather was an elaborate ongoing hoax by Harry Potter, Lucius Malfoy, and others to completely rob the Wizarding World for all it's worth?

Harry, angry at the Wizarding World for the neglect he suffered at the hands of the Dursleys decides to take revenge...slowly. He and a trusted group of people orchistrate the "resurrection" of Voldemort and use this to their advantage to work in laws, raid treasure stores, and more until Harry (who coincidentally also plays Voldemort) defeats "Voldemort" in a great show, bringing him greater fame, and prostrates the entire Wizarding World on it's knees before him. With that he uses his power to enact edicts which allow his trusted group to rob the entire Wizarding World blind. Ministry coffers empty, vaults empty, valuable objects missing, the ultimate long-term heist.

Please ask before starting.

2. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I love to see this idea used. When Raven brought this up in the Chatroom, I couldnt believe such a thing hadnt been done already.

It'll take a very talented author to pull this off.

3. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

Someone should force nonjon to write this.

4. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

*Claps* Great idea. You actually came up with a beleiveable way to do it, opposed to just say you WANT a fic like that.

Still a lot of issues to work out.
    - Cedric? (Maybe he's in it too)
    - Crouch Jnr, getting interogated under Veritraserum?
    - How can Harry act Voldemort, if Voldemort duels Dumbledore in front of Harry at the end of OOTP?
    - Whole bunch of 'death eaters' getting captured in DOM?
    - Mr. Weasley getting attacked by Nagini?
    ..I'm sure there are more, we'll see how this thread develops further.

5. The Dark Monarch

The Dark Monarch Backtraced

Well for OOTP voldie/dumbles duel. Harry is mostly just left imobile. I've seen remote controll probes on Mars. Why not have a remote controlled dummy that he mind links to and controlls w/ his thoughts. Also the possesion thing could have easily faked it.

6. Lord Ravenclaw

I was thinking of time turners...perhaps they use them to create large scenes. After all, Moody doesn't have to be the only one captured.

Dumbledore...perhaps it's going too far, but in one of his years Dumbledore dies in Harry's arms and askes him to carry out his wishes...but instead fakes him as well. Or Dumbledore could be in on it.

Ideally you wouldn't be able to put all the pieces together until the very end.

7. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

I'm pretty sure I can track down Nonjon's place of residence through his IP...

Anyone want to volunteer "helping" him to write it?

8. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I like this idea but I'm having trouble visualizing it as a long chaptered story.

Do we the readers know it's all a hoax? Because if we don't, then when it happens it becomes almost disappointing sucking out the main tension between enemies that's carried canon, and hypothetically the story so far. Unless you don't make it about Harry vs. Voldemort before the 'twist'.

And if we do know it's all a hoax, then where's the conflict? The difficulty?

I'd love to see this work. It's just you'd almost have to demonize the wizarding world and the masses and make the fic about Harry's oppression more than the Dark Lord versus Harry. Given the twist to it, and how much everything else changes knowing that twist, I see this more as a long in-depth one shot that a layered, WIP chaptered story. At the least it needs to be essentially written and finished before posting. Trying to write as you go would be too easy to get confused and blocked.

Why me? Lord Ravenclaw posted the idea. How'd I get dragged into this one?

9. Lord Ravenclaw

I agree about the layered one-shot. The ideal format would be like Ruskbyte's Evil Be Thou My Good...one long immersive bit.

Where's the conflict? The Wizarding World. And I think the readers would know it's a hoax...just not pull together all the pieces until the end. Thus the "Ocean's Eleven" format.

10. nonjon

Exactly! Like Ruskbyte's one-shot, it would almost work best sort of re-telling canon, close to the way it happened but with the slight changes to make the rest of this work. Like Cedric's presence, or the battle in the atrium. Just to see Harry going through the motions of canon, but hearing some of his own thoughts from a different perspective. Like how Ruskbyte's showed Harry faking his awe at the sight of Hogwarts, or showing no fear to Voldie. This could have Harry faking his way through occlumency lessons with Snape, engineering Snape to kill Dumbledore for him, Lucius agreeing with Harry that they need to test Draco's mettle (his assignment for HBP), etc...

I know using Snape on the side of the Harry Conspiracy would make it easier, but I just don't think I'd have any interest in reading that if you did. Maybe Voldie really existed first year, but by fourth Harry discovers that he too has power over the dark mark. Proposes his plan to some Death Eaters, maybe with Sirius' help. And the DoM gets planned and choreographed, but Sirius has been iffy, so they decide to end him then. Explaining that 'brief look of surprise' from his playful fighting with Trixie. Maybe the big twist comes out showing fourth year's ritual wasn't about resurrecting Voldie, but how to extinguish Voldie's spirit and thereby granting Harry the complete control of the mark and the marked people. Pettigrew in his usual role of traitor, only this time he's traitor to the disfigured baby Voldie.

11. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

I too would love to see this written but it would require immense skill, planning and intricate detail to pull it off. This is a challenge not to be taken by the faint-hearted but rather those who have done everything else and are running out of challenging plots to write.

Good luck to anyone who attempts it, it's like the everest of Harry Potter fanfiction.

12. Amerision

Controlling the Dark Mark can be done using the scar - it linked Harry to Voldemort - why not link Harry to all his Death Eaters too?

13. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

1. Cedric could be in on it or he could be killed.
    2. From my understanding, Veritrserum forces the person in question to tell the truth as they believe it to be, so Crouch jr. will just have to believe that Voldy is returning.
    3. Someone could become harry through Polyjuice or maybe a Metamorphamagus.
    4. DE's are still DE's, not all of them need to no Voldy's not back.
    5. Harry is a Parseltounge and Nagini will probably obey him..
    As for who should write it, sounds perfect for Master Slytherin or maybe Nonjon or Roarsh's(?) Blot if they can try and write something serious..

14. Amerision

Polyjuice won't work, but Metamorphmagus's will...

A good excuse to set up a Harry/Tonks.

15. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

i may be in the minority on this site but i don't like the h/tonks, she just doesn't work for me, but maybe a h/tonks friendship would be good...

16. Amerision

*spits out drink*

Friendship?

With Tonks?

Ron and Hermione are enough friends to last him a lifetime.

17. Lord Ravenclaw

If this were to be written out, I'd say no pairing, and screw Ron/Hermione. They're dead weight, and should be put to death.

18. se7en

se7en Professor

This would be quite hard to pull off, if you do it in a Oceans 11 style where you dont know what's going until the end.

19. nonjon

I don't think it'd be that hard to pull off. Certainly not what I'd call an "everest" of fan fiction.

A real fun way to do it would be Harry being interviewed by the cops/aurors a la Keyser Soze, and then at the end sort of run through all the deceptions and maneuvers through out. Maybe all the former Death Eaters ended up dead, so the DMLE inquired more about the defeat of 'Voldemort' from Harry. And he disappears with everything. (For some reason I want him to steal the Hogwarts Library too, right under the portraits and house elves noses.) Of course as fun as that would be, it's straying way far from the original challenge.

And personally, I don't think you need to kill Ron and Hermy as dead weight. They're the perfect childhood innocence alibi. Just completely use and manipulate them. They can serve a good purpose. And it adds to the deception while taking away from the 'evil' that killing them would be.

20. arkeus

arkeus Seventh Year

Sniff... please don't kill hermione and ron. Ron could be the perfect culprit if everything falls down, blaming his desire for glory, and hermione... well, she could be the white hat, believing in harry and doing the "light" paperwork. In fact, you could even make hermione into some kind of enemy in hte later part of hte fics, if you decide to make it loner, haing her realise harry's decet and making a powerful!hermione in her old age (eighty years later or so).