1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Of Quidditch and Dungeons and Dragons by Velvet Mouse - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Memory King, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Title: Of Quidditch and Dungeons and Dragons
    Author: Velvet Mouse
    Rating: T
    Genre: Friendship
    DLP Category: Romance
    Pairing: Harry Potter/Lisa Turpin
    Summary: What if Hermione wasn't the only one to believe Harry when he said he didn't enter his name into the Goblet? What if some of the members of Ravenclaw applied their intellect and actually thought about the situation? Harry/Lisa T. friendship/pre-romance.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5335927/1/Of_Quidditch_and_Dungeons_and_Dragons

I was reading through the first edition of the Almost Recommended Thread when I found an old post of mine about this fic. I reread it, then decided to just say screw it and post it up here.

I find this a rather refreshing change from all the Triwizard AUs that have the whole wizarding world against Harry. The characters came across as very likable to me and there are quite a few good ideas included.

I definitely would have appreciated some more material, but on further reflection I have to say that this succeeds rather well as a short, feel-good piece. Not anything mind-blowing, but quite solid for a romance fic IMO.

4/5

2. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

4/5 from me as well. Entertaining despite its length, and it had me craving more.
    Having Astoria in the fantasy quidditch league was an extra bonus and really helped with the theme

3. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I hate one-shots as they always leave me wanting more. Then again, <3 Lisa Turpin so... 3/5.

Good, but could have been far better. And by better, I mean longer.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  4. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

I really wish that this had been continued. Fics featuring friendship with other students are such a pleasant change of pace. This gets a solid 4/5.

5. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Dammit - not only does it do a good job of using a character rarely seen, but it introduces stats whiz Astoria.

I demand a sequel where Astoria is the GM of a Quidditch team, two days before the trade deadline.

4/5

6. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

I'm going to go with a 3.5/5 on this one

7. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

Only complaint is the brevity. It's too short. But it does leave off at a good point, so I guess I can't complain too much. What's there is solid.

3.5/5 (rated 4)

8. The Santi

The Santi Professor

I only had two problems. 1). To Short. 2) We don't see any difference for Harry in the first task.

Still, it accomplishes what it was meant to do, and it was enjoyable. It also left me wanting more, so a solid 4/5.

9. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

-Shrugs-

Can't really call it excellent, but it wasn't bad either. More of a fluffy snippit or a prologue than a real story though. Pretty solid 3 for what it is though I guess.

10. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Lisa annoyed me pretty early on in the piece and that probably ruined the rest of it for me. Anyway, everything that happened in canon pretty much happened the same way - at least, for Harry - apart from gaining some friends and a possible girlfriend.

Eh.

11. zoxabels

zoxabels First Year DLP Supporter

The story have a refreshing start, but other than that I don't like it. I give it a 2/5

12. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

I'd definitely have agreed with complaints about The First Task if the fic had started earlier with a smarter Harry being the divergence point. But as it stands, I'm not sure if this group of helpers could have done much for Harry in the limited time they had. Useful stuff like Disillusionment would probably have taken too long to master.

But having somebody take the broom to the event was definitely a nice touch, and I liked that Harry found out about Cho's relationship status before the obligatory angst.

To each their own I suppose.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  13. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

I found it boring. Really really boring.

14. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

It's not bad at all, and it's a different take on the whole someone-else-believes-Harry storyline. It's a one-shot, and it could have been better as a longer fic, so that takes away from the overall experience for me. Also, Fantasy Quidditch is full of win. I'm calling it a 3.5/5, rounding up to 4/5.

15. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Aww, I wanted some Dungeons and Dragons. How misleading.

16. Johnny Farrar

Johnny Farrar High Inquisitor

An average piece of one-shot that I did not find remarkable in any way or form. Lisa's characterisation annoyed me and I didn't care for her much. The Fantasy Quidditch league did not impress me much either.

I'd give it a 2/5. I found it boring.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  17. Alraune

Alraune Seventh Year

I disliked Lisa in this fic and it was too short for me to enjoy.

2/5 for me as well.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011