1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Official GoF movie discussion thread!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Midknight, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I've seen this (boss gave me tickets I couldn't refuse), but I'll keep quiet about it for now till more of you have seen this.. this... thing.

Discuss freely here, stuff like errors, changes, how horrid some of the people looked, etc, etc.

2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Haha, didn't like it Mid?

3. Midknight

Lets just say if it weren't tickets to an exclusive prescreening last night, I'd of not bothered to even _download_ it.

There are good points in it, but I'll leave it be for now.

4. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Bah, I had hoped that this one would at least be good. Ah, well, it seems as though the best HP book is a terrible movie.

5. Midknight

The task scenes were easily the best, but I just kept wanting to punch the snot out the screen anytime Rita, Moody had a scene.

Dumbledore just seems so poorly done you wonder if it's not fanart, the guy really has no buisness in that role.

6. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

This Dumbledore just sucks. I mean, he's nothing like canon Dumbledore. And this keeps annoying me, what the hell is up with him tying his beard?! The original Dumbledore was the best, he was brilliant in The Count of Monte Cristo as well.

7. IndoGhost

IndoGhost Dark Lord

i'm just not going to bother watching it.

8. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I don't like HP movies in general, never did, never will, BUT...

I've just visited IMDb and GOF has gotten fucking 8.0!

It's like in top 200 movies of all times or something.

What's up with that?

9. Midknight

It made it simply because SPEW wasn't included!

10. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

so much was missing from the book.
    so much. . .
    i mean i understand they cant do everything but. . . So much.

11. Midknight

I was personally disappointed at the lack of Sirius. Sirius is without a doubt one of my favs, and the way they "claimed" Oldman was shooting GoF I expected more then that bullshit firechat scene he was in.

12. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

You all talk like you've seen the thing?! for god sake why the fuck do i have to wait till december to see it!

EDIT - -Don't ask for warez to be sent to you, MPAA sniffs out that shit like a fly does dog poop, and I'm sure we'd like the forums to remain up and running. -Mid.

13. Hobbes

Hobbes First Year

wow critical aren;t you guys, like chill out so you don't like it try not to put your opinion on others.
    I thought it was good, i did leave out stuff but if it hadn't then it would have been like 5 hours instead of 2 and ahalf.

I was dissapointed in how hot they made cho, you read the story and shes suppose to be unbelievably hot and then you see the movie and shes only ok looking, if not a bit chubby in the face.

the floo was horribly set up, how sirius came to talk to harry through the fire, not like i saw it at all. i thought that the special effect was good, but the storyline and everything was bad, if i hadn't memorized the book i would have had no clue what the hell was going on

14. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Bwahahaha! Foolish Americans, you have no idea how invigorating the sweet, sweet scent of anarchy is *in a heavy Russian-like accent* Bwahahaha! :)

15. Sepanto

Sepanto Groundskeeper

Shitty movie, isn't good enough to lick the mud off the boots of the book.

16. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Uh, we're not putting our opinion on others...we're just saying that the movie is bad. You're free to have your own opinions you know. And it's not like we're hopping mad over here, just dissapointed.

And yeah, I saw the preview for the floo, that was done horribly. I mean, it can't be that hard to put a face in fire, right?

17. Avitus

Avitus Groundskeeper

Some of the movie was done horribly, like the floo scene, the wtf moments at the feast, how rushed the whole thing was, but overall I loved it for what it was. It was INCREDIBLY better than the rest of the films. I think we as fanfiction authors and readers gain a mental picture of the books and of the entire world of Harry Potter, but are horribly disappointed when we see the imagery that is presented world wide, so we can't really say it was a BAD movie, it just wasn't up to expectations. (I thought voldie would have been portrayed as more powerful, but he was still the shit)

18. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

I agree, as fanfiction writers, readers, and critics we gain a rather good mental picture of the Harry Potter universe. Since we have this picture, and the people who do the movies do not, the movie falls significantly below our expectations. The people writing and producing these movies also are normally hired...they don't have a feel of what or what should not be in the movie as they aren't really all that familiar with the story as we are. They are money-makers, not fans of the story.

19. DGD

DGD Headmaster

It was ok. Not great, Not horrible. Just ok.

The task scenes were good, but so much was missing. And Moody! I think I stand for everybody when I say "WTF".

The Death Eaters look horrible. They look like somebody took a KKK suit an spray painted it black. The masks were bad too. Ive always imagined it as a Jason mask type thing.

The people who made this film should be shot for the Moody/Ferret scene. I can't even explain how disappointed I was with that. Moody was bouncing the ferret around a hallway. Not gently floating it up and down outside.

And the break-dancing Durmstrang! Holy crap!

The whole SuperSexyOverlyDramaticWalkingDownTheStairs!Hermione Yule Ball thing made me want to hurl.

Plus, Voldemort just sucked. He didn't even have red eyes! What the hell is up with that? Of course I have a VERY set image of the Harry Potter world, so who can blame me for being a critic? Over all, It was pretty good, but it fell far below my expectations.

20. Hpsleuth11

Hpsleuth11 Guest

I just saw the movie yesterday and I sadly must say I liked it. It was the best one out of the others in my opinion. But putting that aside that isnt saying much.e was p
    Firstly Dumbledore is completely out of character. It was as if they didnt read the book at all. The first guy was perfect this one is just weird. Mad eye was poorly done aswell, his acting was terrible I hardly heard any CONSTANT VIGILENCE's and what was up with his eye making those robotic noises. On a plus i thought the trios acting and also Nevilles was much better. Hermione takes the cake for acting it was as if i was almost watching an actual movie. As for the Durmstrang break dancing, the only thing i can think of to defend that is that since they were supposed to make a big entrance with the ship and the carriages and they didnt, they needed some for of big entrance. The movie was poorly written though, I agree, if I hadnt read the book I would of had no idea what was going on. As for the deatheaters what was up with the KKK hats. I thought the masks were fine but the hats. comeon.

Voldemort was fine acting wise, and his face was ok, but the eyes were a big dissapointment, if they had given him the red eyes he would of been creepy. Also his wand is not yew. yew is black not white, but w/e.

Cho was not hot but i can let that slide, Madame Maxime was grotesque, and they really should fo mentioned her being a giant.
    I personally liked Rita Skeeter I thought she was actually close to canon, but they really should of added the animagi plot. The world cup was a big **** tease. I mean they show you these amazing special effects and your all exited about it and bam it ends, without even seeing the match. the ludo bagman cut was fine, he wasnt that important. I like the guy who played Barty Crouch Jr that guy was really good imo.

Umm what else... oh the trial/pensieve scene pissed me off, I wanted to see that cool chair, not that weird ass cell thing.

The first task was great but it dragged on too long i think. It would fo been nice to see the others and how they did it, not have harry flying aimlessly through hogwarts.

The second task I cant complain i thought it was pretty well-done and shark-Krum was cool. I didn't like the guy who played Cedric, he was really out of character. He seemed very cocky and not at all Hufflepuffish.

Personally i think Mike Newell did the best with what he had, but the one who should trully be shot is Steve Kloves. Someone fire that guy please. He's a terrible writer.
    can;t
    And as for the people who say that you have to cut alot because you can't have a really long movie, all I have to say is look a The Lord of the Rings, and they got a ton of Oscars. If they took the Lord of the ring approach with Harry Potter, I bet the movies would own.

Sorry if I'm ranting but I was trying to get everything in there before I forget.