1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Old Kingdom series (Garth Nix)

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Karinta, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Karinta

Karinta Sent Back to India

What do you all think of it, if you've read it?

2. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I first read them when I was a kid. I loved them - the magic was interesting, the setting was unlike a lot of anything I'd read before, and overall I found them to be wonderful books.

My local library closed down a year or so back, and was selling a load of their books.

Seeing the series going for about £1, I thought I might as well get them, because I loved them so much (although a quick google tells me there are more than just the initial trilogy now).

And that was when I learned I should never ever ever re-read a book I loved as a child because kids' books just aren't engaging enough, the writing is simplistic, and the characters aren't particularly bright.

EDIT

As below, I thought the ideas in them were great. The whole thing about Chantry magic being runes, with a strict structure, whereas necromancy is more about bells and improvisation (and my god, the river was a great setting), was really impressive at the time.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  3. 13thadaption

13thadaption Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

You know, I've actually been rereading the series. I'm not all the way through yet, and there's a new book (Clariel) that wasn't out when I was a kid, but it's pretty much what I remember from the first go round.

What stuck with me about the books was all the great, kinda horror themed ideas. I remembered Dead Hands and Gore Crows and the Bells. To this day, I think they're some of the best necromancy-themed books out there, which is kind of amazing for kids' books. The next runner up - by a large margin - would probably be the Anita Blake series, which I absolutely do not recommend because it crashed and burned so hard. But it did seem to be doing interesting things with necromancy, at least at the start.

Let's see, other good things about the books. I enjoy, though this may not be universal, the limited cast. I mean, it's kind of ridiculous that almost all the characters with speaking parts are related to one another, but I like the part where characters get to go on solitary adventures, largely relying only on themselves. I find the setting quite interesting as well, the way that the Old Kingdom itself, with all it's wonders and horrors, exists within a larger non-magical world.

On the downside, I find the writing strictly functional. It gets the job done, but is never particularly evocative. The narrative voice was almost cold and distant. Also the plotting tends to be rather basic, though still probably above par far a children's book.

So, the books are filled with great ideas, somewhat held back by the lack of a strong author's voice and prosaic plots. They are great books, and some of the most fondly remembered from my childhood. They're certainly not like anything else out there, they have a distinct feel to them that I've never seen replicated. Well worth a read.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  4. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I still think this is the best series to introduce someone young to the fantasy genre. I read them first when I was 10/11ish and loved them and I've re-read them all a few times and still enjoyed it. For me they sort of declined in quality as it went along, Sabriel was definitely the best, with Lirael second. Abhorsen was never quite on the same level for me, mostly because the new characters in that one annoyed me.

I'm not sure they'd be worth going back to read if you didnt read them when you're younger, but if you want to get someone interesting in fantasy, or just books in general then these would be my recommendation.

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

They've been on my to-read list for years, but I've kept putting them off.

So you guys would recommend "Old Kingdom" (AKA Abhorsen?) as the best starting point for this work? As opposed to "Seventh Tower" or "Keys to the Kingdom"?

6. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I haven't read Seventh Tower so I can't say, but the Old Kingdom series is far better than the Keys to the kingdom. Sabriel should be your starting point.

7. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Old Kingdom is definitely better than Keys to the Kingdom.

Seventh Tower is far more simplistically written than any of the others, and was probably aimed at a younger demographic. It's probably my favorite, though, because I think the world building of it is very unique.

So Old Kingdom is probably better, but it depends a little on what you're looking for. The six Seventh Tower books are all incredibly short, though, so you could probably finish them in a weekend.

8. Karinta

Karinta Sent Back to India

Wait, there were 6 Seventh Tower books? I only remember reading 2 or 3 back in elementary school.

Old Kingdom does indeed have a unique feel to it - the world building is fantastic, and that's by far the best part of it. I didn't very much like how Clariel ended, but the rest of Clariel was pretty great.

9. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Read the first three Old Kingdom books as a kid, they are set in a really interesting world, the magic system, the creatures and nine precincts of death and the bells were brilliant. The characters were a little uneven, Sabriel was awesome Touchstone not so much, but considering the target audience they are handled well enough. On re-read the writing lacks a certain something and the pacing could drag a little. The Old Kingdom itself always seemed a little underdeveloped and disjointed in terms of culture and setting, which made sense in the first book but less so in the later two.

That is all the impressions of them that I remember, I would recommend on the world-building alone, but would suggest you keep in mind their target audience.

The Keys to the Kingdom series is, I think, aimed at a slightly younger audience and while I remember them fondly they aren't quite as engaging from an adult perspective. Again though the setting is endlessly inventive and as a 10/11 year old I was fascinated. It wouldn't take you long to plough through them so if you have a free weekend they are a bit of fun.

If you have a kid/tween you want to get into fantasy they are damn close to perfect.

10. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Definitely just read Old Kingdom imo. Keys to the kingdom was aimed at a much younger audience, and I only read them to help out my brother who was struggling with reading (and a bit of a wasted effort because he has pretty severe dyslexia, dyspraxia and adhd) .

Old Kingdom was one of my favourite series growing up and I read each of them dozens of times. As others have said though, the writing was a bit utilitarian, and character motivations were a bit one dimensional at times. The setting and the ideas that went into it were fantastic though. The magic system, necromancy, styx (or whatever the river of death was called), all of it blows a lot of more adult fantasy out of the water imo.

11. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

To be honest I don't think the writing is that poor, it just so happens that the world building is just that good that as an adult you get frustrated that pacing/characters/writing can't quite compare.

12. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yup, definitely 6. It always used to throw me, because you expect 7 with a name like that.

Keys to the Kingdom was my least favorite of them all, but I wouldn't say "don't read it". Depends on how much you like Nix and his writing. I read, and enjoyed all of them, even Lord Sunday.

And Sabriel is definitely the best overall. Also nicely standalone, so a good way to start if you decide you don't want to continue.

13. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

I've wanted to read this for years, too, but I'm a little worried it'll be too simplistic and disappoint me. If you do read it, send me a mention and tell me what you think!

14. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

At the moment I've only been reading novellas, b/c I'm doing a blog project where I read/review novellas. So it'd be after that... unless the first one happens to fall within my definition of novella, which is 17.5k-40k.

But I'll let you know when/if I read them. :p

15. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

I really enjoyed the Seventh Tower when I read them. They're a traditional coming of age adventure but the worldbuilding, Nix's greatest strength, was great.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  16. Thyestean

Thyestean Slug Club Member

Interestingly enough I reread the Seventh Tower not that long ago. I enjoyed it as a child and every now and then something will cause me to remember it and I give it read. It is a fun quick read and the worldbuilding is astonishing. Three distinct worlds and we get to understand all of them. I'm surprised there aren't more fanfictions about it. And now that I think about how expansive the world is, the possibilities are endless. The hardest part is already done, the worldbuilding. Would work well as a crossover medium too, the magic is capable enough to complement the harry potter world.

Alas, the best part though is the game of Beastmaker. I would sacrifice all of Africa to get my hands on one of those bad boys.

17. Mystic

Mystic Disappeared

Seventh Tower was my favorite series as a kid and there's not a thing I about it I didn't (and still don't) love. The setting is captivating, from the mysteries and intrigue of the castle to the absolute bleakness of the tundra and the fantastic, alien world of Aesir. There are so many cool ideas that are only touched upon by the author, but that just makes them purer and more fun to think about.

18. Sy1verN

Sy1verN Squib

Oh wow, I have completely forgotten about Nix's stories even though they used to be some of my favourite books growing up.

About each of them that I can remember, Keys to the Kingdom and Seventh Tower really aren't meant to be read as an adult if it's your first time. Rereading is more a nostalgia trip than anything else even if the worldbuilding alone can be worth it.

Old Kingdom on the other hand is easier if only because it felt like more of a YA novelisation than the other two series, even if I feel only Sabriel was all that good compared to the other two. The River still remains the standard that I hold all necromancy to in fantasy even if most of the time I don't specifically remember that it's from the Abhorsen Series.

19. Lysianda

Lysianda Squib

High Score:
    Definitely fun reads. I think their strongest point is the undead and the free magic creatures, those have enough of a lingering sense of horror surrounding them that they enliven an otherwise average story.

20. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter