1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

@outlook.com

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Starwind, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Microsoft have released a major update for there hotmail service, metro-like, sort of looks like gmail in a way, quicker, and you have a shiny new outlook.com email address.

www.outlook.com

2. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Not going to lie. Before I saw your join date and post count, I thought this was some sort of advertising spam, albeit one with a surprisingly organized message. Still, you might want to give a better description, since it really is rather 'threadbare'.

3. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

[​IMG]

4. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

Yeah, been seeing a lot of sites talking up this up. Wish they hadn't gone with Outlook, I hate that name. I did upgrade my msn email to this new Outlook interface, but my msn is mostly for FF.net alerts and old as fuck Yahoo!Groups and spam.

It looks better than the old Hotmail, sure, but it's pretty fucking similar to Gmail.

5. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Yeah, I don't really see a reason to go to the trouble of switching emails if I already have a Gmail account.

6. Ash

One thing I've been hearing about is people snapping up email addresses with pop culture names. (gates@outlook.com, etc) Someone got donotreply@outlook.com lol.

You could get the first harrypotter or some shit.

But it'd still be @outlook.com and thus a lame address.

7. Constans

Constans Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Been playing around with it for a while and I think my single favorite feature is the 100mb attachment size (300 with SkyDrive) compared to Gmail's 25mb. Very cool. Also the FB/Twitter/Linked In integration is nice if for nothing else than having everything at one place. Tbf, Gmail has Google+ but well...it's Google+.

On the other side Google's search strings in Gmail are pretty slick. And it had IMAP (Outlook=POP and ActiveSync only).

8. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Email really isn't how you should be transferring large files...

9. Constans

Depends upon usage really. I'll be more specific - incredibly useful for RAW files I work on and need to send/email self. Too big for gmail, yet too small/infrequent to justify a hosting account. Also most image sites (I use SmugMug, Flickr and 500px) don't allow to upload RAW either...so this is looks promising.

10. Speakers

Speakers Backtraced

What rock have you been living under?

One word: Dropbox.

11. Constans

None. First, nothing beats the speed of a quick email which is easier to do directly in Lightroom. Second, there is a Lightroom Dropbox plugin but it's buggy and slow. Third, you'd be surprised to know there are people (read clients) who still primarily use email in this day and age. Shocking, no?

12. Ash

Yeah, I work with a lot of photographers that prefer email above Dropbox for RAW files, didn't know there was a particular reason.

13. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

People still use Microshit for email? Christ...we're not in the 1990s anymore.

yak
  14. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Amazingly enough though, all of those people seem to have figured out how to click a link. Shocking.

15. Constans

That's the thing you see. You're seriously underestimating how dumb people can be. People just want (from my experience) "original negatives of the digital photos" sent to their emails/on a flash drive. You can either argue with them and explain it's the same thing as clicking the link of the attachment (just like a "Dropbox thing") or you can save yourself time and get a repeat customer.

I fully agree with you principle. In practice, I prefer the latter - it gets me money.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  16. Speakers

Speakers Backtraced

Attach an executable/shell script that downloads the file for them! And possibly replaces itself with that downloaded file...hmmm. I guess you'd still have to tell them to run the file before opening it with whatever program they use.

Oh wait, nevermind. I don't think gmail allows executables as attachments. Does outlook? Can someone try that?

17. Constans

Pretty much what you said - another intermediate step. Also, just checked - it doesn't.

18. Portus

Portus Heir

Yes I'm late to the party (and all other parties) but thought I'd add my bit. I work with clients, other consultants (both as leads to my firm and as competitors to me and subconsultants to me), etc. and unless the file or set of files is too large for their in-house attachment limits you're Far better off just emailing them.

Other consultants are often lucky enough to have FTPs for incoming or outgoing files but most State agencies are very limited. For instance, the DOT is prevented from accessing outside FTPs at all, and has a 10MB attachment limit. The solution is (a) several emails or (b) a CD in the mail. Yeah.

And almost every company I work with has a Spam /Virus filter preventing executable files from getting thru no matter what. I send PDFs when I can, for check prints, 'Is this what you meant?' yada yada.