1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Personal Tagging

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by yak, Jan 6, 2008.

1. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'd like to see a cross between the author tagging and readers notes that are coming in 1.0.1. Personal Tagging would allow a reader to tag a story in any way they saw fit, whether it be a score out of hundred, writing style, fic tropes, or whatever. Importantly, the tags wouldn't be public, they'd only be visible to the user who created them.

Public tags would become a mess and a public nuisance. Private tags would be truly useful.

So, if I clicked on the "fail" tag, I'd bring up all of the fics that I tagged as fail when I'm apt for a round of self-punishment. Or if a fic was linked to and I saw that it was already tagged by me, I'd know what I thought of it the last time I read it. Sometimes I go to ff.n only to find out that I read the early chapters of the fic years ago and had forgotten all about it.

I'm sure that users will come up with far more creative uses for tagging than I've mentioned here. I can also envision that in the future some people might want to swap tags, or make their tags visible to friends and others.

That's more of a social networking thing that I don't much care for. But personal tagging is pretty useful and would complement the notes idea neatly.

Yak.

2. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Reader's Notes probably aren't going to be in 1.0.1 just to expedite the release, but I'll keep this in mind for 1.0.2 when I implement notes. It's a pretty good idea.

3. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

That would be fantastic! If a reader stumbles upon something worth reading, but doesn't have time at that particular moment, he can just mark it as 'read later' or something like that. I definitely support this idea.

4. Lord Ravenclaw

This is also what bookmark is for.

5. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Well, what I would appreciate is just a "read" tag, if nothing else. Just so I can actually figure out what I read, and what I haven't.

I honestly hate starting a story, and then realizing that I already read it several months ago.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  6. Lord Ravenclaw

This is also what the bookmark feature is for.

7. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

It's good idea. Nice thought, Yak.

8. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

I meant that maybe if you added it to bookmarks, it would change the color of the link/story title. Or have a icon next to it. Just something to that effect.

(If it is even possible anyway)