1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves (real life)

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Joe's Nemesis, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 Prestige

High Score:
    We have one of these for fanfiction, so . . .

Pet Peeve: Hack. A computer is hacked. A system is hacked. Code might be hacked.

You do not hack a laundry room, unless you take a damn axe to it. You remodel a laundry room. You do not hack watermelon, unless your cutting it to pieces. You use a different method to cut watermelon.

And yes, it hacks me off to read about some other "life hack."

2. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Pet peeve: using words from another language to describe something if a perfectly fine alternative is available in your own language. Secondary, and far more rare: translating a concept from another language into your own language. Badly.

Sure, schadenfreude or zeitgeist (for English), sharia (for both English and Dutch), and timing (Dutch) are words that express a certain concept succinctly in a way that the original language isn't able to do. Yes, languages evolve and English in particular has the reputation of appropriating words from other languages. Borrowing words from another language is tried and true for a reason.

That doesn't mean I don't get annoyed when I hear about "tax deals" in a completely Dutch context on the news, or when I hear just about anything spilling from the mouth of some young high potential up-and-coming manager.

3. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Smorgasbord! :)

I get furious at douchebags throwing trash on the ground

4. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Agreeing to meet at 10pm somewhere, and then people show at midnight and I'm the weirdo being there at 10pm. I have been taught my entire life that being punctual is important and respectful to your fellow men and now it is a social norm being late. I don't get it but it really pisses me off.

5. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Never come to Greece.

Ever.

6. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Non-drinkers who look down at those who drink alcohol like they're the worst scum.

People with a holier-than-thou attitude in general.

You think you're so better than everyone else? Fuck you.

7. Hawkin

Hawkin Minister of Magic

Ninjas and fights scenes in general in movies/tv (i.e. Ninjas in Wolverine doing a flip over a chair while trying to cross the room silently...dude, just walk around it.)

8. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam Professor

I shouldn't be able to hear you when you chew food. Close your mouth and don't ever smack your lips.

9. Radmar

Radmar Disappeared

Yeah. I used to (got perma-banned yesterday) play World of Warcraft on Czech server. Watching chat was sure and quick way for me to get mad. Game is in english, and language czech. Outcome is nearly incomprehensible mix of both. People made sentences half from czech words, and half english. Luckily, I changed realms to purely english one.

10. Ankan

Ankan Groundskeeper

When people let their children misbehave (scream and stuff) in restaurants without doing anything about it.

11. Garden

Garden Minister of Magic

People with no sense of wonder.

People who constantly say they're bored.

People who refuse to seriously consider (to the point of being able to argue the other side) opposing arguments to their held views.

People who dislike physical activity or the outdoors.

12. Ankan

Ankan Groundskeeper

Im often bored but it is not that bad to be bored

13. esran

esran Professor

CmpSci majors who don't understand the difference between knowing a programming language and knowing how to program. I hate them so much.
    Also, Cmpsci majors in sophmore level classes who somehow don't know what a "logical or" is, and have to have that explained to them.

14. Anarchy

Anarchy Totally Sirius DLP Supporter

Driving:
    -People who drive with their lights off when it's well past reasonable to do so.
    -People who don't like to use their windshield wipers on an appropriate setting when it's pouring out, citing that they want to "save them".
    -People who speed past in the right lane just to bypass one or two cars. You won't actually get to where you're going faster, you're just being a dick, since you're still hitting all the exact same stoplights.
    -People who ride your bumper when you're already going 10 mph over the speed limit.

15. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    People who don't seem to understand that introversion isn't a personality disorder.

16. Reptile3607

Reptile3607 Third Year

Those hipster Paleo diets, or whatever they're called. Where people eat like cavemen because "that's how nature intended us to eat."

Yeah, where exactly do I find Woolley mammoth and three-toed sloth meat nowadays? And, how do manage to cook it so that its burnt on the outside, and raw on the inside?

Fuck you!

EDIT: Also, when I'm driving on a highway at pretty much the max speed allowed, and then someone overtakes me. What's the point? You're not going any faster now!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  17. Wildfeather

Wildfeather Seventh Year Prestige

High Score:
    Because no one ever speeds... Or feels like it's rude/unsafe to drive really close behind someone going the same speed as you, but also does not want to slow down.

18. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 Prestige

High Score:
    It's called cruise control. It's set. I don't want to hit the brake because some dumbass ahead of me thinks he's going the speed limit but is too busy looking around or screwing with the radio—especially when driving in the passing lane.

19. Anarchy

Anarchy Totally Sirius DLP Supporter

I've been passed at 95 mph by a tow truck before... it was surreal.

Anyways, I hate lazy and bastardization of names, to the point where it becomes common vernacular. Like, Newfoundland is named because that's exactly what it was, but no one pronounces it that way. There's a bunch of then, and it annoys me a lot. Newtown is now Newton because we're lazy and can't be bothered to pronounce it properly.

20. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    Since we're on the topic of traffic, TIR truck drivers are the biggest assholes on highways. I've been in the process of overtaking a string of TIRs when suddenly one of them breaks out and starts overtaking the three trucks before it at a leisurely 65mph...

There are no words.