1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Physical & Personality Descriptions of Characters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AmerigoCorleone, Oct 21, 2015.

Not open for further replies.
  1. AmerigoCorleone

AmerigoCorleone Seventh Year

I spent the last day skimming through the books, and have come to a conclusion of the characters in the books.

Albus Dumbledore:

"A curious tune could be heard from the sharp whistle of a very tall and old man. He was dressed in a brown suit, and his right leg was dangling over his left knee while he rubbed down his long, white beard. A snap of his fingers forced silence into the surrounding area, and with a jump, he rose from the bench, a brown suitcase held lazily in his hand."

Personality: I -- Isolated, N -- Focuses on the Big Picture, T -- Prefers Cold Logic over Accommodation, P -- Tends to Procrastinate

Appearance: 1.96 M, Thin, Long White Hair, Long White Beard

Voldemort:

"Hollow footsteps preceded the ash left in the wake of an extremely tall and thin man -- and perhaps calling him a man would be misleading, because he resembled a snake with pale, gray skin, red eyes, a flat, slitted-nose, and nary a hair to be seen."

Personality: E -- Takes Pleasure in the World, N -- Sees the Forest for the Trees, T -- Calculated Thinker, J -- Is Anxious to Complete Goals

Appearance: 1.98 M, Thin, Bald, Gray Skin, Red Eyes, Flat Slitted-Nose

I will do more, but I'm more interested in how others perceive the characters in the series.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  2. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

They are both ridiculously tall in your estimation. Both in the top 1%.

3. AmerigoCorleone

Yes, because in the Half-Blood Prince --

"Dumbledore was on his feet again, pale as any of the surrounding inferi, but taller than any too"

4. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Those seem entirely too tall.

There's a deeper issue, though: You're much too focused on actual numbers when they simply don't really matter.
    Describing Voldemort as tall enhances his spookiness. Setting his height at an arbitrary 1.98m doesn't add to it at all, on the other hand.

5. AmerigoCorleone

I would never write down the number within the story, but on the side when writing down notes, I would.

---------- Post automerged at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

And I always imagine Dumbledore and Voldemort as the tallest characters in the story, aside from Hagrid and Gawp.

6. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

7. AmerigoCorleone

Albus is extremely out of touch with the emotions of other people, and he has a strong tendency to procrastinate. Those are some of the reasons I gave him a T instead of F, and P instead of J.

Voldemort is definitely not an isolated man. He loves commanding forces and being in front of an audience. He relishes the feel of being surrounded by servants.

But I mostly agree with your assessments.

8. AlbusPHolmes

AlbusPHolmes The Alchemist

Eh what? Dumbledore's extremely in tune with the emotions of others - it's one of the things that makes him so effective when talking to people. I wholeheartedly agree that he's an INFJ, of all the canon characters he seems the most suited to it.

9. AmerigoCorleone

At what point in the story does he show the ability to understand other on an emotional level?

Every year he had a chance to show he understood the fragility of Harry Potter's mental state, but he never once did.

It's a wonder Harry didn't commit suicide when you consider all the torture, trauma, and physical and mental damage done to his mind.

If Dumbledore had even a modicum of understanding of the emotions of others, he would never have avoided Harry in 5th year, or have Snape teach Harry Occlumency.

10. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Harry Potter's mental state was not fragile. He shows basically no signs of having any mental baggage from his treatment at the Dursleys.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  11. AlbusPHolmes

AlbusPHolmes The Alchemist

You've been reading too much fanfiction, and the bad ones at that. Go familiarise yourself with the canon books again, and then reassess if this conversation is one we need to have.

12. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Professor

I don't know where you're coming to this conclusion from, but canon Harry was at no point anywhere close to committing suicide. He was sacrificial, but never suicidal.

13. AmerigoCorleone

Look, I'm not saying that Albus is evil, or that he's socially retarded, but while he may have an adequate observational grasp of the emotional state of others, his ability to empathize and understand others on a personal level is abysmal.

He may never have committed suicide, but his state of mind was already at the alarming, unhealthy levels of a suicide victim and traumatized soldier.

14. Mestre

Mestre Professor

Extrovert:

a person concerned more with practical realities than with inner thoughts and feelings

an outgoing person; a person concerned primarily with the physical and social environment rather than with the self.

Voldemort is a Introvert.
    All Social contact he made was to better himself.In the last book we know that he travelled alone looking for the Elder and his prominent social skill is Intimidation.

And most important: He never knew love.

15. AmerigoCorleone

Voldemort may prefer doing things on his own, but he does not isolate himself. He surrounds himself with followers, servants, and enjoys being dramatic in front of an audience.

Being an Extrovert doesn't mean that a person is more concerned with the well-being of others than themselves, or that they are full of love.

It just means that they prefer to interact with the outside world than within their mind, but that doesn't mean they can't spend large amounts of time in isolation if needed.

Voldemort is the one who leads in battle.

Dumbledore is the one who comes up with the strategy for the battle.

Both play dual roles, but if given a choice, Voldemort would rather lead an army into battle, and Dumbledore would rather work behind the scenes.

16. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    IIRC, hugs from Mrs. Weasley and Hermione initially came as a surprise to him, so I'd argue that he did have some small problem with intimacy, or was at least unfamiliar with it. But that was remedied fairly quickly.

Otherwise I agree completely. Fanon blows his emotional damage way out of proportion.

17. AmerigoCorleone

This is a boy who constantly runs into deathly situations without any hesitation, ever since the age of 11.

He has seen countless people murdered, and has walked into his death plenty of times.

This is not the state of mind that a healthy individual has.

18. MoltenCheese

MoltenCheese Seventh Year

OP: I would advise you to take a break from fanfiction and go re-read the canon.

19. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think it's more that he's just reckless moron with very little sense of self-preservation.

20. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

We're talking about the same Dumbledore right? The Dumbledore who:

• deals with Harry's rage after Sirius' death?
    • Hires Lupin? Hires Dobby and Winky?
    • Tries to help Draco Malfoy as he attempts to MURDER him?
    • Who gives Ron the deluminator?
    • Who challenged and comforted Harry when he found the mirror of erised?
    • Who said "I'm not worried, I am with you" when Harry was terrified and in the middle of deep shit?
    • Is there for Hagrid, just all the god damn time?
    • Understands fudge's on a personal level so thoroughly he can casually smack him down - ""You are blinded," said Dumbledore, his voice rising now, the aura of power around him palpable, his eyes blazing once more, "by the love of the office you hold, Cornelius! You place too much importance, and you always have done, on the so-called purity of blood! You fail to recognize that it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow up to be!""
    • Is really the only person who pegs Tom Riddle on his rise to power. Did Voldemort fear Dumbledore because of his magical strength or because he could see through him like no-one else?
    • Who so understands the weight that he places on Harry with the prophecy that it brings him to tears?

Also, I don't recognise your opening quotes, like at all. From fanfic or canon. Where are they from?

Not open for further replies.