1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Ping before router restart (2800ms~); ping after restart(200ms~)

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by The Fine Balance, Oct 8, 2013.

1. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

A 6 month old D-Link modem router (2370U). What possible reasons could there be for this horrible, frustrating performance? Line stats don't seem bad to me, either.
    Code:
        SNR Margin (0.1 dB):    343    292
        Attenuation (0.1 dB):    130    83
        Output Power (0.1 dBm):    167    124

2. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

Are you sure that it's not some program that's uploading something? If you're sure of that, either get another modem/router to test that it's not the router in itself, and/or call your ISP to make sure that it isn't a fault on their end. Also, this is a DSL/ADSL connection right? If so, do you have a splitter? Those things are the first suspect most of the time. Do you also have random losses of sync or is it just the high ping? Taking a look at the log is also a good idea, if you can acces that on your router.

Those values you posted seem fine from what I can see, although that also depends on the speed of your up- and downstream, since with higher speeds the SNR is typically lower than with lower speeds.

3. The Fine Balance

Yeah. No uploads, downloads and minimal network use at the time. (Or, at least, that's what the task manager showed me.)

Also, in general my network pings are exceedingly jumpy - I can get 50ms in the same ping as 400 ms. The ISP (it's a crappy ISP, but is cheap and doesn't throttle me) has extensively checked the backend, and they say it is all fine. It's not, but after pestering them for nearly two weeks, nothing more is happening.

So, essentially two problems: the router ping one which I feel is router related, but is hard to reproduce (it happens occasionally, and not everytime the router has been on for a long period), and exceedingly jumpy ping.

4. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Your ISP is lying to you, most likely.

Alternately, if its happening over a period of time, then I think your router could be overheating, sounds stupid, but it happens. If its intermittent, try killing all background services, run at start programs, or auto-updating programs that could be eating your speed.

How's the line ran into your house? Is it one of those all in one outlets from the wall? Or is it a Phone jack? Are you in an apartment or a house. If you're in a house, follow the line to the outside where it connects to the box, it could be static. I had to put some kind of scrubber on my lines where they entered my house due to the fact that there is a high static build up around the base of my house where the lines are ran in, which caused my signal to drop intermittently.

Thats about all I can think of, other than it being your ISP. You could just be having a shitty bought of what they always told me was Sun Spots when I used to call over there (yes, they really told me that).

As far as the jumpy ping goes? What servers are you trying to connect to when this happens? Are you within the united states? Or are you trying to connect to any servers that are outside your country. You could either be being throttled by the server connection you're attempting, or its causing your computer to time out.

Open CMD in Admin on Windows

type

ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew
    ipconfig /flushdns

If you can't connect to the internet after running though, do them again. If that doesn't fix it, restart your computer, and everything should be fine.

That always uses to help with those kinds of issues. Assigns you a new IP, and flushes your DNS settings. You could also try manually setting your DNS to Google's DNS settings. When I used to have less reliable internet, that always seemed to make things work much better for me, you can find those settings through a simple google search.

Also, if you're on Linux/Mac, think your commands through terminal are ifconfig instead of ipconfig, it has been awhile since I've used either system.

Are all your plugins up to date? Are the websites you're going to image or feature intensive? Do you use Adblock?

I've found these days if you have Adblock enabled some websites refuse to work correctly. Try disabling it for sites that you're having the worst ping or, or setting yourself up with Hostblocking which goes right to the source and stops your computer from dialing out to a lot of ads/ad related services. Its what I use, and I haven't seen an ad in nearly ten years.

I usually use Adblock or a similar script to remove the whitespace from websites where Hostblocking has removed the ads.

Now, that really is all I can think of right now.

Any weird spelling is my phones autocomplete. Sorry, but cbf to go back and edit it out.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  5. The Fine Balance

This is highly unlikely. Two months ago, I (auduously) got the ISP to fix the phone when one of their more technically-oriented people told me that my line was absolute shit. Reduced average ping from 600ms~ to around 200ms~.
    I'm thinking this, too. It's a pretty cheap router and is really not positioned in the most well-ventilated of places.

Phone jack, with a nice little splitter. My pings jump around a lot and takes ages to reach just the first hop. (That is not my router). I'm pretty sure there's something funky going on, either with the router (which I'm going to test soon by getting a friend's), or the phone line itself, but my ancient government-owned ISP lack the interest and the technical support people who could diagnose this effectively. (The only reason to stick with these people is that there is no cap - other ISPs are gouging us with caps.)

Usually google.com. Live in India.

Do this pretty regularly.
    Already using google DNS.

Thanks for the extremely comprehensive reply!

6. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

Are you on BSNL/VSNL by any chance?

If you are, then the problem is intentional on the ISP's part but most people who you'll talk to on the phone won't know about it.
    The longer you're online, the lesser your priority is. I found this the hard way. Apart from the heavy jitter, inconsistent quality and generally bad speed, this is one of the regular problems I face. I have to restart the modem atleast once a day to maintain the speed.

The only saving grace is the speed is pretty much constant.