1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Playstation Move

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by JohnThePyro, Sep 18, 2010.

1. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

So, I had a bit of spare cash and picked this up from Bestbuy when I saw they were selling it a bit early for some reason. Decided to give my thoughts.

1: I am sick and fucking tired of these super hard plastic containers they sell this shit in. I literally used my sword cane to cut the packaging after trying in vain to use a pocket knife for several minutes.

2: Sony still hasn't figured out this whole "user friendly" thing. They tell you to insert the software disk for instructions. Okay, done. Next thing I know I hear a douchy voice telling me how to setup the move, which any fucking idiot with even a hint of common sense could figure out, without the damn 5 minute tutorial.

3: I've never really thought I looked gay until I started waving around wands with pink and purple bulbs on top. Really.

4: OMFG the hardware is amazing. I've played on a wii several times. I like using them because it's really the only gaming console that I can get my girl into. It's nice to share my hobby with her, even if it's only when playing some stupid dance or fitness game.

However this is a whole different level. The Wii ain't got nothing on this hardware. The adverts say true "1:1" tracking, and it's for real. There's no more flicking of the wrists and watching a prerendered animation occur, it's all real time.

5: This is quite possibly the best full body work out machine I've ever seen. You really have to work when you play. Flicking your wrist won't cut it here, because a-the screen will just register a wrist flick, which isn't always gonna cut it, and b-the move registers the force with which you wave the wand. The harder you wave, the harder your sword swing will be, and thus the more damage. It's like this with every single title I've played. I was sweaty and my arms were quite tired by the time I was done.

6:This can be quite cheap or quite expensive depending on what you want and need. I spent all around $170 or so on the starter bundle, a spare wand, and a navigation controller. If however you only want one wand, and already have a Playstation Eye, it could cost as little as $50. Smart marketing on Sony's part.

7: Fucking shovelware. The games out now are mostly gimmics. However Sony is promising 20 titles by the end of the year, the majority actually being real games, and not shitty titles no one is interested in.

Bottom line: Hardware is excellent. The most advanced we've seen yet. It's my belief that going halfway here, using a hybrid camera & wand system, Sony has the best of both worlds. The kinect & the Wii will either need to release some very impressive addons (the Wii), or be absolutely brilliant (the kinect).

I just want more games for the damn thing.

2. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

If that's true and if they finally had the brilliant idea to release a Star Wars game with realistic lightsaber fights I'd even consider buying this. Despite how ridiculous doing acrobatics in front of the TV looks, this would make it worth it.

The tracking is done by a camera right? Player vs Player lightsaber fights would really be one of the best things ever. Tracking 2 different controllers and assigning them to different players shouldn't be too difficult to implement.

3. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

The tracking is a mix of camera (playstation eye) and built in accelerometers in the wands that track. From what I know, the light bulbs allow the camera to use complex formulas and "other tech" to pinpoint angle, velocity, location, etc etc. To tell the truth, that's the end point of my knowledge. Let's just leave it at "SCIENCE".

However yes, it's very true. There's a table tennis game, where if you rotate the move controller in the palm of your hand, the paddle will rotate as well. It's really impressive shit. Now, I suck at normal table tennis, so I didn't spend long here, but you get the point.

4. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

THIS. God damn this.

5. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I've been thinking about maybe getting it, but I'll probably wait until there are more mainstream games out there that actually implement this well.

Which games do you have for it? Just that disc that came with it or more?

6. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You all have fun waving your dildos. My shit's gonna be scanned in and displayed realtime by one piece of equipment, instead of needing a bunch of cameras, wands, and lightbulbs =P

But seriously, anythings better then the Wii. It's motion capture if just the light on the end of the mote, combined with very basic acceleration detection. Hopefully all the game for the Move and the Kinect will have decent graphics, because the Wii's shit is so ancient even the few games I had fun trying, looked like shit.

7. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was so disappointed with the Wii. I like Nintendo, and I really, really wanted to like the Wii. In the end, though, it just wasn't good enough.

This looks interesting, though. I doubt I'll throw out money to buy a PS3 in order to use this, but I had the urge for a second.

8. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

As far as shooters go, I'm really interested in this: this.

From what I understand, game graphics shouldn't really suffer. I've only played Sports Championships and the demo discs, but they look fine. I believe the Kinect uses it's own processor to deal with the extra strain, while PSmove just uses the extra power that it has in spades from it's hardware.

9. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Seconded and thirds. Best Buy down here has one set up for test purposes the last two days I think its been. Or when I went in they did. I ... am genuinely surprised how well they've done with it so far, considering their mishaps with some of the more recent shit.

If I had the cash, I'd definitely pic one up, but I does not. :<

But its got my support either way,

10. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

If a company such as Bioware released a Star Wars game with realistic lightsaber combat as a core feature, I'd do two things:

One, I'd cream my pants.
    Two, I'd go out and buy a Playstation 3 just for that game.

11. IdSayWhyNot

IdSayWhyNot Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

So, what games can you play with this faggy bubble wand? I'm half-way out the door to go buy it.

I've been waiting for real 1:1 tracking for a long time.

Next step: a helmet that registers thought/wavelength and translates it into movement inside the game. Man, that'd be fucking epic.

12. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

That'd be boring.

13. Azira

Azira High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Not only that, it's already been invented!

It's called your brain, your hands, and the controller.

14. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Man, if we get some good shooting games with that thing Mid I might actually start buying FPS's for console. Viva arcadia!

15. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  16. Darje

Darje Groundskeeper

Heh, that's pretty neat. According to the articles though, the developers don't believe it's articulate enough for fast-paced video games, yet.

17. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I really like the ones they have in arcades, if they can combine that, with the real dodging and movement detection, then it's an easy best seller.

18. Darje

Darje Groundskeeper

One of my favorite games for the the first Playstation was Time Crisis, one of those very same arcade games. It used that old gray light gun that they had back then and all you did was shoot the bad guys while ducking behind cover to avoid their return fire. It was an awesome game that I would love to play again.

19. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Played the time crisis demo.

Thing fucking sucks.

20. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Gah. This shit again. I hate motion control. I want to sit in my comfy chair with my keyboard and a mouse, and pwn the shit out of NPCs in single player campaigns. I DON'T want to have to move to do it. Gaming is supposed to be relaxing. And after a ten mile bike ride home from my job, all I want is to NOT move. Is that too fucking much to ask?