1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot bunny/ Canon occurence discussion

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Jenkins, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Jenkins

Jenkins Forum Bike DLP Supporter

Ok, to start it of I want to get people's opinions on Unicorn blood. There is this thread, but it doesn't really go into it. What are the affects of drinking the blood?

The reason I want to know is because I wanted to know what would happen if a normal human (this human is Harry by the way) drank the unicorn blood due to a mortal wound or something.

Voldemort drank Unicorn blood cause he's a fucking weirdo who mindrapes losers to survive, but what if someone just drank it due to something that placed them an inch from death? An arrow to the chest perhaps?

All I really thought about as I dozed on my 6 hour sailing trip along south Fyn today, was what could have been a different circumstance during Harry's forest detention in first year.

Something like:

Harry sees Voldemort. Voldemort comes to him. Speaks to him. Firenze comes in and shoots an arrow at Voldemort. It passes through Voldemort and hits Harry (I kind of imagined Voldemort as a ghost like thing in this scene, like the movie). As Harry crumples to the ground Firenze stands in shock and Voldemort kills him (Unicorn blood gives him a little weak strength). Just before he flies off to Quirrel he tells Harry the only way to survive is to drink the blood of the Unicorn. Harry, not knowing the details about the 'cursed-life' thing, does so.

I dunno, I kinda just thought about it. I wanted to get people opinions on this before I consider it any further, and to be honest I'm curious about the 'cursed-life' thing because I can't recall JK ever bringing it up again.

2. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

It is an interesting idea. You should flesh out what is your idea of 'cursed-life'.

As to answering your question. In the Witcher, unicorns posses the ability to travel between dimensions and in time. What if Harry, by drinking unicorns blood acquired that ability? And because there is that 'cursed-life' thing, it isn't easy for him.

Yes. I know it is border super!Harry, but consider this. In the Witcher Saga, the character that possessed that power brought - accidently - the bubonic plague upon her world. And she went through a lot of shit and pain. And it is unclear if there was a happy ending or not.

Even if Harry - after discovering The Prophecy - would want to run away, it would be impossible because fate is unavoidable.

3. Nefar

Nefar Seventh Year

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Page 258, paperback:

Half-Life 2 crossover, when Gordon is first transported all over the place by Dr. Kleiner, things happen, Harry arrives in Half-Life earth.

Edit: Bad idea, but there's the passage.

4. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

You're right: 'twas a bad idea.

Anyways, I think Jenkins is saying that Harry wasn't the one who actually slayed the unicorn, but the one drinking its blood. Math time:

(Slaying unicorn) + (drinking blood) = Half-life (as you quoted)

(Finding slain unicorn) + (drinking blood) = ? (Jenk's question/plot bunny)

5. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

Well, let's say ,for the purpose of the story, that the curse does something like affect his magic. Maybe he can only cast spells half the time or something.

What kind of plot could you get? Maybe Voldemort has the cure and Harry must work for him or become a Death Eater to get the cure. But, that's all I can think of.

6. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    But at that age, Harry's still 'pure'. What would be the effects of an innocent drinking the blood of a unicorn?

My theory is ridiculous but I'm going to throw it out anyway.

Guy kills unicorn and drinks it's blood. Bad mojo. I'm thinking that the unicorns blood acts as a sort of death curse a la Dresden. The unicorn knows that the guy is a sick fucker and it does everything it can to fuck up his life.

Guy kills unicorn and tricks innocent into drinking the blood. Pissed off mojo. I'm guessing that the unicorns 'spirit' or soul or whatever targets the guy who killed it and works through the innocent by aiding it in some way. Momentary bursts of strength or luck or whatever. There would have to have a downside though. Albino!Harry? No thats fail. How about a minor curse for entertaining purposes? Have a really fucking clumsy Harry....Iunno.

7. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

I can see that for a Crack!fic. Harry drinks the blood and a horn grows out of his scar in the shape of a lightening bolt. Everyone stares at him and he's like "What?"

8. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

If he's going to gain a power of a Unicorn it's going to have to be that only virgins can ride him ^_^

The inter dimension travel idea is a great idea if you want to make an inter dimension fic. Certainly more original than the veil.

But, I get the feeling you are looking for something bad to happen. A down side to drinking the blood. Since he wasn't the one to kill the Unicorn he would only be partially dealt the cursed-life. Depends on what you want to happen to him. Do you want him to have a series of unfortunate events to happen? Lose his money, happiness, friends etc? Or will Harry be rewards in what seems good, but after a while turns out bad for him?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  9. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

I can see the title now... Harry Potter: Cherry Popper

10. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

More like Harry Popper, amirite guys?

/flees from scene of bad joke

11. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think a good comparison for the "cursed life" that you'd lead after drinking unicorn blood can be found in Pirates of the Caribbean, with the Aztec coins.

Basically, through drinking unicorn blood you can live indefinitely, but you can't enjoy anything in life: food tastes like ash, sex is painful, water doesn't quench your thirst, and so forth.

There does appear to be a cure though: the elixir of life.

12. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Poor Harry ... always doomed to be stuck with a woman who has no idea what she's doing.

13. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Poor Harry, always doomed to tight pussy and never contracting HIV and -

Wait...

14. Dark-Stallion

Dark-Stallion Professor

Well, as mentioned, it would be a new way to do the AU railroad. Also, Taure's post was a valid one; with the curse being as seen in Pirates.

However, I thought the curse was simply figurative; as in, in order to kill something so pure for your own gain would mean you are a fucked up person. Or, it could have an effect like a Horcrux; 'half-life' perhaps coming into play here- do you loose half your soul?

If it were me, perhaps an addiction to the blood would be the worst thing, considering he didn't actually kill the unicorn. However, in his thirst he slowly slips into madness/darkness, eventually capturing and killing unicorns to sate himself. Of course, he would gain something cool from the blood; perhaps enhanced senses, or memory. Meh, it's what I would do- go for a dark rout, perhaps have Harry against Muggles in a big way (magic is magic, but Muggle is shit?). I would like to read that, anyway.

Actually, that would be really fun to write as well; if no one wants to pick that up, I may have a shot at it.

Dark-Stallion.

15. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Or maybe unicorn blood is like heroin for Dark Wizards. Take a hit and you're hooked for life, unless you can suffer the dead babies crawling on the ceiling while you go through withdrawal symptoms.

16. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Would be interesting, Harry getting the stone to restore himself back to normal, gaining immortality in the process. Could be a nice to start to a !dark harry fic.

17. Naga's Shadow

Naga's Shadow Seventh Year

I actually took this idea a different direction. As there's already something in cannon that leads a cursed half life. Vampires. I think this is a far better segway into a vampire Harry story than uber!smexy!Vampire, who is often gay(Or Snape), decides to turn Harry and teach him all about how badass vampire's are. With all the power to rule everything but for some reason non of the want.

In my opinion the blood of a dead unicorn would curse the drinker while the blood of a living one had restorative properties. The way I envisioned it Dumbledore would use the stone to create some elixir of life to keep Harry alive, but Harry would need constant doses to prevent him from changing. Throw in Voldemort's grab for the now less defended stone and you have an interesting challenge.

18. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I think there's also a point where you could have

(Finding slain unicorn) + (being fed blood in near-death haze) = ? (less badness than consciously drinking it?)

I mean if it's that bad, why not slip some unicorn blood in the pumpkin juice on the Slytherin's table? (Oh crap... rabid plot bunnies multiplying...)

And then there's also some muddy ground where you could mess with the prophecy. "Neither can live while the other survives" means Harry wouldn't be able to "live" a cursed half-life even because according to the prophecy he's not "living" now.

19. Nefar

Nefar Seventh Year

In before Taure's "there's no compulsion behind the prophecy."

20. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

This is true. From the passage in canon, it seems like the real crime is slaying the unicorn. Even though the chances of it happening are astronomical, what if someone accidentally imbibed unicorn blood without knowing what it was? They didn't kill the unicorn and did not know the significance of the blood, so I don't see why it would place the drinker under a curse.

Anyways, interesting idea. I would definitely read it if such a fic came to fruition.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008