1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Bunny for Intro to Political!Harry

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Mordecai, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just a small plot bunny that popped into my head whilst reading the second chapter of The Minister, about a way to introduce a more political Harry.

During one of the summer holidays, I'm think either the one after 2nd year or the one after 3rd year, Harry is awarded an Order of Merlin, "for his role in bringing peace and prosperity to the Wizarding World" or something like that. Basically he gets it for being the Boy-Who-Lived. If it happened soon after SB escaped, then it could be seen as the Ministry trying to raise public morale.

At the ceremony he's given his Order of Merlin, and he meets a number of big wigs and politicians, who could make comments about his political clout, or even just ask his opinion on some sort of issue thats big at the time. If the latter is chosen, possibly a reporter could overhear his answer and publish an article, causing a dramatic shift in public opinion...showing Harry how much sway he has with the public.

Basically, the premise is that he gets the Order of Merlin, and at the ceremony, and in the near future after it, he becomes aware of his political standing and starts to use it.

2. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

Yeah, something along those lines seems the most plausible for Harry to become politicized. It's much more believable than the ambitious!slytherin!Harry.

3. InfernoCannon

InfernoCannon Seventh Year

If it's after SB's escape, the big issue is most likely Capital Punishment (should it be used less/more often?) and if they should continue trying to hunt down Voldemort's agents if they migh still be around.

All though, I'd think Harry would be thrown by the amount of power he has over the public. It's also a good way to get Harry to split from Ron- Ron reacted harshly to Harry in GoF, so I don't find it hard to see him flipping if Harry makes an offhand commentwhich creates an entire article.

Harry's politica power isn't likely to thrust him into politics- more likely it's people asking for his veiw on this, that and everything between here and the moon. He wouldn't want to appear stupid, so he researches the things and realizes he doesn't like the way the WW works. A plausible way to get him into politics, as Harry wasn't interested in power back then. It leads on from yours nicely as well.

4. Lorelei of the Sea

Lorelei of the Sea Unspeakable

The idea is good, but I personally find it implausible for it to take place any time before Harry is 18. An average 12-13 yr does not really care about politics, even a boy like Harry. Also, despite of his fame, I doubt anyone is going to listen to a 12 yr old's views about capital punishment, so manipulating him at that age seems useless. It would be a lot more likely if he received the Order of Merlin for his defeat of Voldemort or something like it.

5. Android Knight

Android Knight Squib

Is my story suffering from being too implausible?

6. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No, your fics fine. I just randomly was thinking about political!Harry fics whilst reading your second chapter, when this popped into my mind.