1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Bunny: Mirror, Mirror

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by rj_stone2, Apr 4, 2006.

1. rj_stone2

rj_stone2 Seventh Year

Has anybody done a good take on a Potterverse version of the Star Trek episode Mirror, Mirror (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/TOS/episode/68738.html)?

I know there have been some where he is Voldemort's enforcer in a parallel dimension, but have there been any where the whole magical world is completely twisted? I mean a timeline like:

1919: Disgusted by the horrible impact of the Great War, young firebrand Albus Dumbledore makes an impassioned speech to the Wizarding World, convincing them that they need to help muggles avoid warfare &c.

1920-1930: As muggles prove resistant to "suggestions" from the magical world, wizards are "forced" to use more and more coercive techniques to keep them in line, culminating in a complete wizarding takeover of the muggle world.

1932: The first "Ascending Angels" act is passed, providing that any muggle-born wizard will be relocated with a wizarding family or wizarding orphanage.

1935: A young Tom Marvolo Riddle is placed in a wizarding orphanage. When he later goes to Hogwarts and discovers his true heritage, he becomes obsessed with returning wizarding society to its halcyon days of isolation, before it became tainted by running the muggle world.

1981: The Dark Lord Voldemort (so labelled by the Ministry, which by this point is controlled completely by Dumbledore) attacks one of his staunchest opponents, Ministry Enforcer James Potter. While they are engaged in a duel a stray Avada Kedavra (known as one of the three "Indispensibles" for its usefulness in muggle control) cast by Voldemort strikes James' son and reflects back at the Dark Lord, striking him down instantly.

During HBP: Harry Potter (in the canon-verse) is struggling mightily to learn how to apparate. He finally does it, but a combination of putting too much power in to it and an interaction with Hogwarts' wards catapults him into a parallel dimension. His first indication that something's wrong comes when he hears Ron observe "Oy, looks like Harry's splinched off his beard. Still a better job than anybody else has done, though."

Thoughts? I could use some help filling in the "..."'s. If nobody else has done this idea, I might try my hand at it.

2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

There was a solid H/G story, where Harry follows Sirius behind the Veil and ends up in the world where absolutely everything is reversed - Snape is Gryffindor, Riddle the headmaster, Dumbledore the dark lord etc...

Always forget it's name...

3. Tobang

Tobang Fourth Year

Harry Potter and the Otherside by MaxFic

AU. Picks up near the end of OotP. Harry saw Sirius fall into the veil after being stunned by Bellatrix Lestrange. What would happen if he ran in after him? No Pairings yet.

A similar concept. but your plot bunny is still very original. This is a story where everything is backwards, Tom is the headmaster and Dumbeldore is the Dark lord…ect.

I recommend the story…I haven’t read it in a while but I do remember it so that must mean it was good.

4. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I posted it so I wouldn't forget again.

http://forums.darklordpotter.net/viewtopic.php?p=53758

As for the plot bunny, as far as I understood, it's basically wizards controlling the Muggle world and Riddle fighting for their... freedom? Sorry, but I beleive that the world you've described is exactly what would Salazar imagine as paradise, so I don't see his bloodlines-obesessed heir doing anything against it.

5. rj_stone2

rj_stone2 Seventh Year

You're right, it probably works better with Tom Riddle as respected deputy minister and Dumbledore's right hand man. Maybe even teaching the Dark Arts class at Hogwarts. I was thinking you still need somebody to slot into the villain/dark lord spot to make it a "mirror" universe, but maybe it works better if Harry's just an ordinary kid (but good student/popular/etc) in a twisted world.

6. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Haven't managed to locate it in years, but ryanaven had a fic "Harry Potter and Bloodlines, Mages, Sorceress" or something titled like that. Harry was an special uber!mage but Voldemort managed to bind his mage powers. Which meant only Voldemort could release them. So with just his now ridiculous off the chart wizard powers, he created a few stars and hyper-activated them into creating a wormhole to an alternate reality. In that world, everything is peachy keen with the two most powerful wizards keeping things running smoothly. Dumbledore is Minister of Magic and Tom Riddle is Headmaster of Hogwarts. Dumbledore didn't want to give up his position as Headmaster, but as a parselmouth and Heir of Slytherin, Tom Riddle wouldn't have gotten popular vote for Minister. Harry shows up there, has Headmaster Riddle release his mage bind and tells them they should have "Harry Potter" a student a Beauxbatons transfer to Hogwarts, so that he can meet up with a current 5th year, Ginny Weasley. (Harry's presence triggers her sorceress powers to activate early... soul mate thing. Yes, I know. Still good fic.) That alternate universe's Harry goes to Beauxbatons because his mom teaches there, and dad and family are all alive. So he's still descended from Merlin and Godric, and counts as a mage. Our normal Harry is a bit of a uber!mage carrying Merlin, Godric, and Voldemort as "heirs" due to the killing curse.

Harry also teaches Headmaster Riddle about brother wands and Priori Incantatem. Tom's ashamed of what he's become as Voldemort in that world and decides to give Harry his wand, since using the brother wands, Harry can lock them into a constant link, and then stretch that magical bubble all the way across the entire Hogwarts grounds, giving Harry's Hogwarts a special ward and protection from all of Voldemorts magic there.

Fic got abandoned a couple years ago and taken down probably a year ago. Wish I could read it again though.

But that's an example of Dumbledore and Riddle working together in peace and harmony.

7. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    rj, there probably wouldn't be such a thing as the dark arts. The class would be something like Muggle Control Devices, or Battle Spells. Somehting like that.

I like the sound of it, but I agree that Riddle should be like Deputy Minister or something, perhaps have some Muggle-born leading a resistance, a mix of Muggles and Muggle-borns, with a few 'disillusioned' purebloods and half-bloods mixed in.

I look forward to you writing this at some point, it sounds really good.

In the ... space you could have a series of bullet view so to speak, jsut a cut out from each decade or something. The first one could be of the new Enforcers putting down a muggle riot outside Toms orphanage, thus setting him ont he track to join the Ministry.

The second one could be of him at Hogwarts, where he works hard, demonstrating an ability with spells useful in Muggle Control (ie Dark Arts), and he is perhaps brought out of Hogwarts in his second or third year, for dedicated anti-muggle training. Ie he is brainwashed fully into believing the Minsitry doctrine.

Next decade could be his first encounter wiht the Muggles. Perhaps just a radical Imam or something rather topical, who is speaking out against the "devil worshiping heretics" or something. Tom goes over the top, driving the man insane, but ensuring that tehre will be no revolts in that area for a long time.

Next decade he could have been promoted to become a medium level politician, or something like the Under Minister for Muggle Control, and he forces through (rather easily) a law allowing for the enslavement of Muggles, or a law classifying them as Beasts as opposed to Beings or something.

Next decade rahter than what you thought for the 80's introduce the radical Muggle Born who has extensive knowledge in what we know as Defence against the Dark Arts and otehr Light spells. ooooh, just had a thought, mkae the radical muggle-born Lilly Evans. Perhaps she was raped "by accident" by enforcer James Potter, so she is pregnant with Harry. Through some wierd plot device, have James hunt down Lilly, to get Harry, and kill Lilly, but make some sort of big thing happen, causing them both to die, and making Harry famous. Maybe he is taken in by Riddle, then Deputy Minister of Magic, or the Minister for Muggle Control or something.

Hows that for an idea?