1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

PMMM Fanfics

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Nemrut, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Well, thought we could use a thread in which we collect PMMM stories. Will start with those that I've read and hopefully, find a few that I haven't read yet.

In no particular order:

Puella Magi Madoka Magica in by ZipCode.

It's fun, my personal favourite was The Little Mermaid chapter.

Resonance Days by TakerFoxx

Still haven't finished this since it is on my tablet and I only read this while I am travelling but am halfway through and I really love this story. Characterization is excellent, there is a truly interesting plot in the works, action is good and the setting is intriguing. A really well-crafted PMMM story. Obviously, it is Kyouko and Sayaka centric, although other familiar faces appear.

Puella Stellea Madoka Magica
    by Snowflames

Crossover with WH40k. Basically, "It gets worse" meets "It won't get any better". It's somehow fitting that those two meet. This is a fusion story with interesting twists and turns. Had a lot of fun reading this, author makes the fusion work really well. There is just something about magical girls roaring "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, SKULLS FOR THE SKULLTHRONE" that really drives the point home how awesome this is.

Unforseen Consequences by Midnakdak

Admittedly, this is more of a FoZ story, with only really one PMMM character appearing but this feels very true to the spirit of PMMM. Basically, Louise summons Kyubey and, well, things get worse from there. Really, it all feels like this is what would happen if Kyubey had been summoned there.

A Brand New Day by ShadowKittenMf

Not the best story but a decent time waster with fluff.

A Happy Dream by angel0wonder

Solid Sayaka and Kyouko story, I quite enjoyed it.

All The Time In The World by ZipCode

Heartbreaking one-shot about Homura and her loops.

Candid Cravings by angel0wonder

Fun fluff, basically. Decent story to waste a bit of time.

These two I haven't read yet but are on my "to read" list.

psychosaga by ant0nym

Puella Magi Homura Magica by Lestaki

So, yeah, that's the PMMM stuff that I have found until now, would be happy for more.

2. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

I like how this thread serves as an example of what is wrong with PMMM fanfiction. It is so hard to write anything but pointless yuri/fluff.

3. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

I'm think you misspelt a word there, cause I'm not seeing anything wrong here. :nyan:

4. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I'm as much of a yuri fanboy as Nemrut. Love Asynca's stuff (Under My Skin and The Camera Loves You), r9kElsa (see Frozen thread) and a bunch of yuri manga (Octave, Girl Friends and all the shorter fluffy junk Nemrut sends me =P).

But all that being said, I don't think I've read a PMMM yuri fic I've really enjoyed. As SmileofKill said, they mostly seem to be cheesy fluff, or angst-fests.

I have next to zero interest in HomuraMadoka. They were great characters in the roles they played in the anime, but any actual romance between them just seems dull.

I suppose SayakaKyouko holds a tad more potential, but as of yet, haven't seen anything that has done it in a way that interests me. Most fics just seem to rush things too much.

Resonance Days
    was just meh to me. Like I'd love to have been intrigued, and interested but I just couldn't find myself to care at all about the situation they were in.

A Happy Dream is a great example of a B-grade yuri fluff - complete with the awkward "Oh she's so hot, WAIT WHY DID I THINK THAT!?". A barely readable fic that we only read for lack of decent yuri fics. Reminds me of all the DracoGinny or DracoHermione fics I used to read back when I was 14 and first got into fanfiction.

Unforeseen Consequences was another meh to me. As a concept, I kinda liked the idea - Louise on the run with "heretic" powers. But I didn't like the way the author wrote Louise as a character. He certainly seemed to be going for a Madoka-style character and it just made me lose interest for whatever reason. Events, interactions and dialogue that would usually have me really engaged just had me bored.

Though it does remind me of this - Velle Anima - an amazing FoZ/PMMM one shot (kinda...at the end). Which was amazing. But barely has any PMMM in it, so not sure how valid you'd count it.

Surprised no one mentioned To The Stars, being the one PMMM fic in the DLP library, but I just could never really get into it. Way too SpaceBattles for my liking. Writing and world building is pretty top notch though and I suppose it gets updated fairly regularly, but I'm many chapters behind because I just can't get in the mood to read the updates.

I suppose I'll try some of the other ones Nemrut recommended and see how they go.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  5. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    As N approaches Infinity by Corisanna

Despairing as yet another timeline goes horribly wrong, Homura wanders into Karakura. There she discovers that while the spiritually-aware people of Karakura were distracted by Ichigo Kurosaki and Xcution, Kyubey contracted the Kurosaki sisters as magical girls. Drawing the attention of the shinigami could be just the advantage Homura needs.

Rated: Fiction T - English - K. Urahara, Karin K., Yuzu K., Homura A. - Chapters: 33 - Words: 132,579 - Reviews: 455 - Favs: 251 - Follows: 284 - Updated: Jan 29 - Published: Mar 16, 2015 - id: 11116656

Pretty solid Bleach crossover, oddly enough. I like that it is a slow burn. Homura, after a chain of events similar to canon but unusually premature in the timeline, Madoka and the others dead once again, takes a train just to clear her mind, without a specific goal. On that train ride, she encounters Ichigo's sisters, who have become magical girls sometime before the Fullbringer arc.

The story makes a solid enough attempt at blending PMMM lore and Bleach lore. So, Homura, on the lookout for new allies, is intrigued by the sisters.

Story gets a bit angsty, as a good chunk of the story is about how utterly done and exhausted Homura is, having relived that tragic timeline again and again and how the Kurosaki family, having their shonen-y charisma, make Homura be relatively open about things with them.

It's a bit cheesy but not as cheesy as it could be. It strikes a good balance between telling enough and not telling too much. Homura is definitely not trusting them immediately, in fact, it takes a long time for all sides to be fully aware of what is going on, if they learn at all.

And while the notion that the Bleach crew extends a helping hand to Homura may seem a bit like a fix fic, the story does retain aspects of the PMMM spirit.

It's a fun story to read and a crossover that actually kinda works. The Bleach crew was captured in an excellent way and while Homura is a bit...different, it's really not a stretch to say that one more timeline made Homura like that this time around.

4/5

6. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    SufficientVelocity has (approximately) a metric fuckton of PMMM fanfics and quests. Some of the largest and most popular quests are PMMM, I'm sure plenty of those can be read as story only purely due to the mass of past updates.

7. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

In case people have missed them, the two best PMMM fics by far are in the DLP library. They're potentially amongst the best fanfics I've read outside the fandom too. Both are based in worlds where magical girl culture is violent and full of territorial disputes (due to limited Grief Seed supplies) and are sold on absolutely amazing OC characters.

Puella Magi Homura Magica (originally recced by Nemrut earlier in this thread)

Fargo

If you haven't read either, get on it!

I did like the start. I've rarely ever seen a PMMM fic set during Homura's time looping. I loved the idea of the driven and desperate Homura suddenly finding herself in a loop where everyone died really early on, and now she has a whole loop to get through, sort of aimlessly wandering around, finally having a chance to angst a bit and actually be open to making new friends.

Yuzu and Karin's story as Magical Girls was pretty interesting too.
    Especially they're rather PMMM appropriate end.

The problem is, the story goes from being a story about Homura and really seeing a chance for her to actually rest and reflect to being about Soul Society saving the day.

Homura seems to lose all sense of agency as a character and it becomes all about Ichigo, Isshin, Kisuke and everyone else doting on her and having angry reactions when they realize what she went through.

I think the thing to top it off is that Soul Society in general are portrayed too much as the good guys. I liked the story Kyuubey told the Kurosaki girls that Soul Society historically saw Magical Girls as abominations who should be hunted. But the story goes the cheesy route of turning that into a direct lie (not very Kyubey is it?), with Soul Society apparently they never noticed girls with magic powers over thousands of years and now want to jump in to save everyone.

Overall, it started at a very interesting point, but then just became a cheesy guilty pleasure. 3/5

8. RandomAsianPerson

RandomAsianPerson Squib

High Score:
    I'll recommend Fargo as well. It really is an excellent fic and like most good fics the author put the time to attach a decent summary to it.

Post-Rebellion] In the frostbitten American Midwest, ragged Magical Girls vie for territory to survive the unforgiving landscape. One such girl is Sloan Redfearn, who wastes away in Fargo, North Dakota, nursing a grudge and watching her hopes slowly die. But when Kyubey approaches with a unique opportunity, she becomes embroiled in a conspiracy that threatens to topple gods.