1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon and Zombies

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by Alindrome, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It's called Pokemon Snakewood, and it's awesome. Come play with me!

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=235371

So far it's amusing, with a quirky sense of humour and a good deal of decapitated heads. It's not an especially pretty hack, but it doesn't need to be as it makes it up all in gameplay and story. Very refreshing considering all the shitty but pretty fan games out there.

Here's a picture. Now you have to play.

[​IMG]

Oz
  2. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

Played this awhile back, and I believe quite a few of us played it as well. Thought it was a bit meh, and that it could have been executed better. It's worth a play though, for sure.

3. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

I gave it a try, and I'm disappointed that you recommended it and recommend anyone seeing this now to never download this hack.

The version I played is 98.2% done, but it's incredibly stupid. It starts out great with what seems to be an original story, but it basically ends with retarded bullshit filled with a bunch of weeaboo jpopculture references and "funny" breaks of the 4th wall. It didn't come across as funny though, it came across as the most retarded bullshit cop-out ending ever.

I realize that playing any pokemon game is a waste of time, but it's pretty damn annoying when the game itself ends with "and you wasted your time" because that's how this one did. Terrible, awful, completely retarded execution of a somewhat good idea.

4. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Pretty much exactly what Churchey said. I love Pokemon. I love zombies. I love that the guy who made this hack said he makes hacks that are about the story rather than flashy sprite graphics or whatever. It's just a shame the story is... that. And the combination is less than stellar. Makes me frownface.

5. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

Combine that with puzzles that are just buttfucking retarded, and it's a pain to play. For some of the "puzzles" in the game, you are literally walking blind. The only way through is trial and error.

Imagine Janine's gym in gold/silver with the invisible walls. Except four times as big. And every time you step in the wrong direction, instead of hitting a wall, you are teleported to the beginning. That's not a puzzle, that's fucking stupid and a waste of time.

Another one of his "puzzles" is some random bullshit that you couldn't solve without looking up. It may have been another stupid shit weeaboo reference but there were NO in-game hints to help solve it.

The gym has a mirror with 3 options, 2 stupid phrases that might be more weeaboo references that do jack shit and 1 option to punch the mirror. Punching the mirror knocks out your own teeth and gives you "some teeth," an hold-item that causes flinching. Repeating either of the phrases 3 times causes the text "a black man with a hook comes out and kills you!" and ports you back to the pokemon center.
    To open this, you have to talk to a random npc girl in the pokemon center, get an item that is a full-heal with a special name, fly to a different town and talk to another random NPC who will now be a shop, buy one of his items that are just items with text and no use at all, then bring it back to the mirror. The mirror doesn't point you to the girl. The girl doesn't point you to the guy. The guy doesn't point you to the mirror. None of the steps are related in any hint given at all. It's all one stupid weeaboo reference.

6. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I made this thread when I was right at the beginning of the game, and it all looked promising. As much as I hate it to be so, Matt was right about the game; it is godawful.

The humour in it is just fucking retarded; while it starts out fine it gets worse until it becomes intolerable. The guy who made this just really lost the plot early on. When you get to the Deadly Seven onwards the whole thing loses any semblance of coherence.

7. Mutt

Mutt High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

For someone who's never played any hacks, which ones would you guys recc besides this one?

/shameless thread derailment

8. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Pokemon White Knight/Troll Face, which has totally been finished for over six months and is the best damn hack you'll never see.

Ahahahahaaha... I made myself sad.

Also, it kinda depends. Ashaya's the expert, and there are a bunch of good timesinks out there. Of course, finding those that are done and good is pretty rare, so you might end up playing a lot of hacks that are only just begun or half completed, a lot like fanfiction really. (Still hoping for Rijon Adventures to finish, for one.) Lemme try to drum up a list, though just jumping into the Hacks Showcase in PC is usually a good place to start. Look around the forum for a bit and you'll find some guides on how to apply patches and stuff, in case you don't know. And we have some guides in this forum somewhere.

9. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

I don't know if you're joking or serious here. Is this a real recommendation? I am also looking for some rom hack to kill some time with.

I just tried out Ruby Destiny Life of Guardians and was disappointed. On the one hand, you have access to 3-4x as many pokemon early on. The 'route 2' of this game had 20-30 pokemon in it and every zone seemed to follow with that huge selection to choose from. You also get a Riolu super early (my starter was level 15 after some grinding), which was a lot nicer than getting a level 5 when your pokemon are all level 50+. That being said, it was worse than Black/White with the cut-scenes and textspam. And the creator had a fetish for ellipses... ... ... ...

It had a really nice built in guide system of magic rocks interspersed in routes that you could talk to to get guidance, but it was also a lot of running back and forth between towns. Running through 3 routes of level 2-level 12 pokemon when you are level 30 got really old really fast.

I've been jumping into the PC showcase forum, but that's the same place that has snakewood with tons of "ursomazing" comments so I would really love a DLPer's recommendations on hacks they tried and enjoyed.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  10. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

No it was a joke. White Knight/Troll Face was the attempted DLP Pokehack project started last September, which was going to be original region packed with characters that were basically DLP members, but, you know, in a coherent and not lame way. I say it was an attempted project for good reason. We tried, but it sorta fell apart due to lack of... focus, maybe? I know some form of it might be made someday, but yeah... hence my "I made myself sad" comment.

11. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

Well that makes me sad too and I've only just heard about it

decided to give light platinum a try. I'm a little pissed that your 'rival' is Red (pikachu and all) while the World Grand Champion is Ash Ketchum. This creator is stupid. Also it keeps 'giving' you pokemon through events and skipping the nicknaming process, ruining my nuzlocke.

12. Ash

Hello.

My list of must try hacks, google them yourself:

Pokemon Ash Gray: because you are Ash from the show, and jesus fuck, Spearows are terrifying.
    Pokemon Flora Sky: love this series. Finished.
    Pokemon Light Platinum. One of my favorite hacks.
    Pokemon Brown: Done, but nothing special. Still, a finished hack is a finished hack and nothing to spit on.
    Pokemon Quartz, complete, but I can't remember many details.

Pokemon Sienna, 7 gyms finished, FR hack.
    Pokemon Prism, incomplete, 4 gyms complete last I checked.

And those are the hacks....if you want something a little different, or a lot different, try RMXP games. A list of them is here. I have tried Raptor, but the feel of the game is vastly different, IMO.

I know some other games, but it starts to steadily decline in quality and finished-status. Enjoy.

EDIT: forgot
    Pokemon Ruby Destiny: Life of Guardians: a continuation of a series, this game is awesome because you can choose to be good, bad, or neutral. Try this shit.

13. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

See, there's our expert. Thank you dear.

Though, to note, Quartz is one that's pretty damn insane - quite literally - and Spanish, but it's sort of a must play for the sake of experiencing it.

And RMXP Pokemon games never feel the same as actual Pokemon games, so I don't like them much. It's hard to describe, but when you play them you can really kinda tell. And although people have some good ideas for them, they don't feel that great to me.

14. Ash

Also, you can't play on your smartphone, which makes me a sad Ash. I do all of my pokemanz-ing on my phone.

15. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

Pokemon Light Platinum is a lot of fun.
    The first elite four has level 65-75 pokemon, and you have 8 more gyms to go afterwards. The second gym in the second region gives you a Pilot's License and the TM glide which is basically an air version of a bike for flying versions of cycling road. One of the best things I've seen in a hack ever.

16. Mutt

Mutt High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I just started Light Platinum last night, and impressed doesn't begin to describe it. While their are a few minor glitches (no way to heal in yellow town, for example), it feels like a real pokemon game, only more epic.

The random rare pokemon handed out would feel cheap, but the fact that you still have to choose among the ones your given maintains the challenge. How does one choose between a Growlithe and a Larvitar? (Answer: you ditch the Treecko)

17. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

Yep! Every single city gives you a 'free' pokemon.
    I keep running to my box to make room to grab a new one and toss it in with the rest.

So far I've gotten:
    -My choice of 1 from every group of starters from all generations. (I just realized I have treecko, chikorita, turtwig, and snivy in my box)
    -Zorua
    -Miltank
    -Drifbloom
    -Pichu
    -Lapras
    -Riolu
    -Axew
    -Rotom
    -Larvitar
    -Growlithe
    -Tyrogue
    -Larvesta
    -Magby
    -Beldum
    -Eevee Egg that hatches relatively early
    -You also have the option of catching a feebas as part of the "oh god im a pokemon professor but i need you to protect me from the level 3" event. There is a water stone a few feet away to evolve it as well. I had a level 3 milotic as one of my main party.
    -Snorlax is available to catch before level 20.

Also, if you aren't too far along, go back to Yellow town and head to the 2nd floor of the pokemon lab. There is a free level 5 elekid there. Electabuzz evolves into Electivire at level 40. The 2nd floor is accessed by the "stairs" on the outside of the building. I didn't notice it at first.

And I'm not ashamed to admit I whited out 3 times before the second town. No healing+poison mobs=sucks.

18. I Burn Water

I Burn Water Seventh Year

is there a place one could go to learn all the how to's of using and implementing hacks?

19. Ash

It's easy. Download Lunar IPS which is the program you use to patch the ROM with the IPS file which you download from the hack's PokeCommunity page, typically. That page will include what ROM you must use (Fire Red, Gold, etc). You download that ROM, open Lunar IPS and patch it with the IPS file. Then use your choice of emulator to open it, not sure how novice you are. If you have an Android I know you can play GB and GBA games and hacks, which is what I do. I can answer any questions you have.

EDIT: I forgot this was going to be my 1000th post, goddamnit....I suppose Pokemon hacks is a worthy post for 1k, though.