1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Conquest/Nobunaga's Ambition

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by Lb13, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Lb13

Lb13 Second Year

Pokemon Conquest takes place in the new Region of Ransei and contains Pokemon from all 5 regions. It is essentially a turn-based grand strategy role-playing simulation video game like Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced. From what I've seen you are given an Eevee and you "merge" with it to conquer 17 kingdoms (U.S. trailer). Release day is June 18th for America, and Europe hasn't gotten a release date yet. Japan got it about 3 weeks ago.

2. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This can go one of two ways. It could be brilliant or absolutely woeful.

Pokemon warlords sounds pretty cool but I've a feeling it'll lean towards the latter. Although maybe I'm freaking out over the damage this is going to do to the already fragile canon.

3. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

I'd honestly prefer to play throughout all of the regions in a style like the Manga (Pokemon Adventures) mixed with the games. I'd like to play through as Red to be honest, but they'd have to re write canon or fill in when he fucked off after R/B/Y. But I'd like to see it.

I'll reserve judgement on this til a gameplay trailer is released.

4. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

This game isn't canon. It's a crossover for one thing, and for another... one of the characters has a Mewtwo five hundred years before it was created.

5. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Ugh. Do not want, in that case.

6. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'll probably see what the reviews are like before I judge but I cannot see this ending well.

7. The Arid Legion

The Arid Legion Professor

Pokemon has (a?) canon?

8. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

It has game canon, Manga canon and Anime canon, I think?

9. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Blah, pokemon canon is overrated as long as they don't fuck with stats/movesets >_>

Considering it's a crossover anyway...

10. Coyote

Coyote He howls n' stuff

Damnit. I'm torn.

I don't mind pokemon, and I fuckin' love TRPGs, but this is probably gonna be shit and I don't want to get my hopes up. : /

11. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Wait, this is legit? Saw it and thought it was a fanmade thing...

Huh.

12. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

It's a spinoff crossover with an entirely different series. I'm not sure why it's status in the pokemon canon is an issue at all.

13. Azira

Azira High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Because when you mess with a nerds canon he will raise a shitstorm, no matter how irrelevant it is.

"HOW DARE YOU INTRODUCE SHIT TO SHIT YOU OWN THE COPYRIGHT TO AND THAT YOU CREATED AND DEVELOPED!!!"

14. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I always figured it as more of a "How dare you use the money we spent in your product, hoping to encourage you to make more good stuff like it, to ruin said product?"

15. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I honestly doubt this will ruin it, and I don't think B&W 2 has been damaged.

16. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

There's a few livestream videos on youtube of people playing the Japanese version. I watched about 5min of one earlier and it was... eh. Looks like a handheld grid based strategy like Final Fantasy Tactics (and Advance), Disgaea, etc. but with Pokemon. I don't have a problem with that. It's whether the combat has enough depth to last 20+ hours in that style of battling.

I'll wait on this one.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  17. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I was ready to give it a chance up till this point. Handheld grid based strategy sounds awful.

18. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

I bought this game and played it; overall it was pretty good. In my opinion it was the best pokemon spin-off in the last decade, but that's possibly my bias because I love handheld grid based strategy games. My main problem with this game was the warrior system. I've never played the Nobunaga's Ambition games so I don't know if that is how they normally do things, but I felt the game could have been improved by only having a select group of recruitable warriors (Maybe just the characters with a unique sprite; i.e the warlords and their seconds in command). It feels like they're trying to incorporate more of the pokemon "gotta catch 'em all" slogan with all the warriors, but the pokemon themselves were enough. A more permanent death for lost warriors or their pokemon would have been good, but this is pokemon so it's understandable that that wasn't included. It would have more sense of danger to the game, if I know my characters will survive anything that happens I won't go out of my way to keep them alive.

The main plot was too short- the post-game content was cool, but all that was just extraneous to the game. It was mostly just character expansion one-shots. Interesting, but only that.

In summary: The amount of playable characters should have been less, with more access to perfect synchronization. Each warrior should have had a possible team of six pokemon in their specialization, you would still have had to collect every warrior in order to get 100% with every pokemon, but their wouldn't be so damn many warriors you'd have to keep track of.

There should have been a more permanent "death" system.

The game should have been longer.