1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Tournament Gen 5: First Look

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by Lutris, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

[​IMG]

I've asked a couple of people to see if they'd like to participate in this, and they seem interested, so here we are, with the DLP Pokemon Tournament Gen 5: First Look.

All right. Now that Black and White have been released for all of you nigs dependent on English (pshawe, play the games in Japanese like a real man!), I figure it's high time for our first Pokemon tournament to incorporate Gen 5 moves and pokes.

I know, I know, the game's only just come out, and the Japfag who's had it for 6 months already has an unfair advantage, yada yada, which is why I'm sitting this one out. We're wiping the slate clean. New gen, new game. So, as the title says, I'd like this to be a First Look competition. This means that you're not expected to be super-savvy about this Gen- the name of the game is to see how well you can understand your new pokemon and their moves in a short period of time, and to pit you newcomers to the Gen 5 metagame against each other.

Here are the Rules:

1. Your team must have 4 or more Gen 5 Pokemon.
    2. Any Pokemon from previous Gens are restricted to the OU Tier and below (UU, NU, etc.).
    3. All Ubers and Legendary Pokemon are forbidden. You may have up to one pseudo-legendary from any generation on your team (Gen 5 legendaries: Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, and Victini. Pseudo-legendaries: Cobalion, Virizion, Terrakion, Tornadus, Thundurus, and Landorus. Genosect, Keldeo, and Meloetta are most likely Legendaries to feature in future Pokemon films, and are impossible to obtain at this time, so are not counted.)
    4. The tournament will be held over Pokemon Online. As such, the usual PO rules apply, including but not limited to: Item Clause, Species Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, and Sleep Clause.
    5. The winner of each match will be determined after three battles. Best out of three. You are allowed to have practice battles if both parties agree to it.
    6. Sudden Death. Once you lose, you're OUT. It took way too long to finish the last tournament because of the damn losers' bracket. If you lose, good luck next time.
    7. You will be disqualified if you don't have your match within 48 hours of being notified of your match-up (will not apply for Round 1). If you won't be able to battle within that timeframe, please PM either me or your opponent (or post in the thread) so you won't be disqualified. I'll PM everybody to let you know who your opponent is each round. 48 hours start when your message is sent out, so be careful.
    8. If you're a participant in the tournament, NO SPECTATING, or I'll banhammer you from the competition. Don't watch other peoples' matches. It'll give you an unfair advantage by knowing another competitors' team, especially since this is Sudden Death.
    9. Kick some ass.

Team Submission Format

Some of you have submitted teams with full Nature and IV distribution information- while informative and interesting, is unnecessary. You can include them if you want to, though.

So, who's interested? The tournament will have 16 slots (or more, if more people are interested), which seems to be an appropriate number of participants judging from previous tourneys. Again, I won't be participating, but I can give you advice on team building and general Gen 5 metagame tips if you can catch me in #pokemanz on IRC, or by PM. Submit your teams to me when you're ready- I'd like to start this thing within 2 or 3 weeks.

Confirmed Players:
    Chaos Guy
    Poytin
    Menace
    Vira (Mel)
    Aekiel
    mknote
    Kalas
    pdo91
    Grubdubdub
    Atomic Lightning Bug
    Oz
    Palindrome
    Seratin
    KaiDASH
    Vash
    Torak

EDIT: One spot's open again. Doot. Doot.

EDIT 2: Aaaaand it's closed again. Woot woot.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  2. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

We no can haz loser tourny? We can be timely with two tournaments, really. EDIT: Yes I'm joining btw.

3. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

4. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

That's a paradox if I've ever seen one. ;)

Anyway, I suppose I'll join. Should be getting my copy sometime today (fucking blizzards), so two or three weeks will be more than enough time to put together a team.

Although, I'm not familiar with all the different clauses. Mind pointing me to where I could find some info on them?

5. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I haven't gotten Black or White yet and I promised myself not to look at the Pokemon so I can play through the game relatively blind, but I cannot say no to a DLP tourny. D:

Consider me a participant.

6. Lutris

STFU you hairy, de-evolved apeman! D8

...but yeah. The clauses basically mean you can't have more than one at a time of those things. Species- no overlapping pokemon species in your team, Item- no overlapping items for you pokemon, Freeze/Sleep - you can only cause one of your opponent's pokemon to be affected by these at a time, Evasion - you can only raise evasion by 1 rung, etc. etc.

All of these are automatically enforced by the client, except species and item clauses, so just worry about these.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  7. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm in, as usual.

8. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

Count me in.

9. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sounds like a time. Sign me up.

EDITZ: Opinions on DW Abilities?

10. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

Item clause sucks.

Super-important question; you playing Dream World, or Wifi? If Wifi, Wifi Clause or no?

Either way though, I'm not in. I've promised myself to not play OU g5, at least until the tiers settle a bit more. but if you want a (wifi) LU/UU match, I'm good for that.

11. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

Problem, hairless?

I pretty much understand though. Shouldn't be too hard to remember. Anyway, getting the game today is a no go. Every fucking Gamestop in my area is closed. Dammit.

12. pdo91

pdo91 Professor DLP Supporter

I'm definitely in. And I think Dream World abilities should be allowed - some of them are mad awesome.

13. Koalas

High Score:
    Which is the issue really. Some are meh, some are good and some are just ridonculous.

14. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

I'm in. Didn't play Gen 5 till now, I have a lot to catch up on.

15. Lutris

In reality, that's usually not an issue since having pokemon with unreleased PDW abilities generally means a hacked game.

Let's say you can have up to two Dream World pokemon. Shit'll get ridiculous real fast if we allow more.

16. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

So, while doing some research I found that Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genosect are banned in this years VGC (Pokemon World Championship). Will the same apply here, or only Victini and the legendary trio will be banned?

17. Atomic Lightning-bug

Atomic Lightning-bug Second Year DLP Supporter

I'm in, as before.

18. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

19. Koalas

High Score:
    See Rule 3.

20. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'll give it a shot. Never tried it before, but whatever. Fair warning, I'm not available on weekends.

Lutris, what time will you be on IRC? I have a few pokefag friends but I'll probably need those tips if I don't want to get stomped. Also, a more in-depth explanation of the clauses would be appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011