1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice

Poland 2015 Elections

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ScottPress, Aug 8, 2015.

1. bolko7

bolko7 Second Year DLP Supporter

I think we all know hammer will not work on us hehe.

It is sad that ppl in some news sites are saying let hope koriwn gets in so L&J will not be able to rule alone. I mean really

The only good thing from this election will be that the old left side will die. I mean Miller and Palikot, with little bit luck we will get a good left party that actually is not about yelling but doing.

btw Liroy got in, God help us all hehe

2. Jaska

Jaska Second Year

Why is voting for nationalists a bad idea? If people want their government to be nationalistic why should they not be allowed vote for that kind of government?

I would be angry should the green party in finland ever gain more support but that doesn't mean I'm going to be saying that they voted stupidly. They propably voted for what they wanted. In my eyes they may be stupid but that doesn't mean that their vote was stupid.

Sorry for the rant. Your comment just poked me in the eye.

3. corrwin

corrwin Second Year

Information is available. Pensioners might be excused,they listen to Radio Maryja (nationalistic and ultra -catholic) mostly. But young people,with internet access - no excuse for them. I'm happy to call someone an idiot,when said person refuses to put minimum effort into understanding the world around them. I know some smart L&J supporters,and they frustrate me but I respect them- they thought the matter through and came to different conclusion than me. Indifferent masses are just too lazy. And don't ask me to respect that...

4. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    Fair point. I concede. I still think the newly elected government will be bad for us. Now, I'm not saying we'll turn into Syria over the next 4 years - someone with such big experience in politics as Kaczyński would have to actively work towards a total fuck up to achieve it - but I'm not seeing what improvements they can bring about. It's like if my grandmother was elected. She's probably full of joy right now and maybe even gloating a little. I love her, but I still think her views are outdated.

5. bolko7

L&J will do nothing, just like the current gov. Economic wise they can not do a thing, it is just as 3rd rail. So only thing they can really do is yell. Plz remember that last time they were in power, outside Samobrona scandal do you know any laws that had any effect (out side Becikowe 1k zł to newborns).

The only negative effect that new Government can have is on international stage but even there they will be ignored, as we are now and as we were in last 300 years (give or take).

So I beg you stooped looking at the current election as end of the world I know polish media are selling this shit hard but really we do not have anyone that really want to change current system(Kukiz and Korwin will go away in a year or two, well Kukiz, with some luck Korwin will die).

6. ScottPress

High Score:
    bolko7, I'm not saying it's a goddamn apocalypse, I'm saying I don't like it. The bigger issues facing Poland would see similarly little action from Civic Platform. To repeat myself from earlier, we need a societal paradigm shift from the conservative mindset, but young people don't vote or vote for that buffoon Korwin. With L&J in power, the typical Polish petty politics of pushing each other around and warming the chair will continue.

7. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

- Creation of CBA (which was necessary) and using it to manuver people into corruption to prosecute them;
    - The entire Barbara Blida debacle;
    - Macierewicz fucking our entire intelligence services by publishing a report with data about agents and sources - fuck the consequences on that one;
    - Ziobro using political power to run a personal vendetta against a doctor who operated on his father and due to complications said father died - "Już nigdy nikt przez tego pana, życia nie będzie pozbawiony";

And just recently, Duda vetoing an act that would normalize the legalc actions necessary for transsexual persons to change their legal gender. Why was it vetoed? Because, according to Duda, it would allow homsexuals to marry and adopt children.

PiS doesn't have to pass any laws to prove that they are a bunch of crazy, racist, homophobic fucks. Just listen to what they say - and not in the media, in front of the cameras. Listen to what they say to their electorate in small towns around the Poland. Listen to Radio Maryja.

PiS doesn't even pretend that it want to change Poland into Hungary 2.0. That is scarry. I don't give a flying fuck about their economical ideas, 'casue they will drop them immediately (Gowin alredy did so this morning). I'm concerned about the entire ideological structre that PiS will want to build on top of our country and integrate it into as many institutions as possible.

8. bolko7

You do know this is not a list of laws but scandals, and you might be not aware but this is the level that our politic lives is here are some great hits from Civic Platform

- Tapes :) and Sending CBA to a newspaper to use force to get them :)
    - Amber Gold - and how Tusk son got his job anyone knows ?
    - Krystyna Skowrońska you can lead economic adviser party in Sejm and be a Bank manager at the same time :)

You might not like it, I don't like it but this is how our leaders are. Be it L&J or Tusk or anyone at the moment Poland don't have good Politicion that you can trust. Listen to how Civic Platform politician speak when there is no Microphone. They are racist, they don't even think that Poland is a real country and what more they only care about themselves.

L&J party wining changes nothing in economic, change nothing in public life the only thing it changes is the amount off yelling ect. So pleas stop looking at the fog of war and start looking what ppl that we elected are doing with laws ect. You can not feed your kids with PR.

Next year we will be hit by problems from China, and we will see how they will act and what will they do. As for now I am off this topic cuz I do not like living in fear cuz media said that they are bad.

BTW PSL did this for last 25 years, PO for last 8, this is the norm of our Poland at the moment.

9. ScottPress

High Score:
    So you agree that both biggest parties are pretty much a bunch of cunts, yet you disagree that voting one of them into power is not idiotic? Wat.

There were other options available to voters, but voters still chose to support the batshit crazy fuckers. That's why people voting for them are idiots. Because everyone wants things to change for the better, but somehow they think the only options are CP or L&J. We went from bad to worse. By definition, that's not an improvement.

10. corrwin

corrwin Second Year

I don't want to create a new thread, but a short follow-up question to this one... how do you feel about it all now? Anybody going to a rally today? To participate or break it up on behalf of the government ;)?
    I believe that everything that is happening proves the direst predictions. The only hope I see is in constant pressure, internal and external, delegitimising the regime and either some defectors will make L&J lose the majority and it will force preliminary elections, or after 4 years of this mess someone else will have to rebuild our democracy from scratch.
    Constitutional tribunal might try to fight back, and it's important, for the record and to make it easier to get them all in prison after they lose power, but in the short run they will probably just ignore the rulings.
    The most disgusting politician (famous of saying off the record "the dumb masses will buy anything") of the L&J leading new "national" television (the word "public" no longer in use, too liberal-sounding I guess).
    I do not want to move, I love the city I live in, but the moment I start to believe that L&J actually really represents Poland in its core, I'm signing out of this nation.

11. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

You're welcome one border further, at least as far as I am concerned. Which doesn't seem to amount to much nowadays, but there you go.

At any rate, I hope the commission keeps up the pressure; it's about time they started asserting themselves, and I'd hate to see you leave over what now turned out to be a clear knee-jerk-response by voters.

I read good things about Ryszard Petru. Pity he's popular now, and not three months ago.

12. Celestin

Celestin Half-Blood Prince

In my opinion there are only two ways for PiS (L&J) to lose their power. Either there is major failing in the economy that pushes more people to rally on the streets, and I'm talking about more than 100k in Warsaw alone, or there is a break within their ranks. I suspect that Gowin and his people are most likely to do it, but even if they did, Kaczyński is already courting Kukiz'15 to ensure he doesn't lose the majority.

Anything else, like UE interference, may slow PiS down a little, but only that. Especially when Europe has other things to worry about other than what's happening in Poland.

13. corrwin

corrwin Second Year

The problem with Petru is that his party is a bit like Polish FDP - traditional liberals/libertarians with limited appeal. Chances of them becoming #1 are not great. We either need a reformed Civic Platform, or an alliance of Petru with something more to the left that could get L&J social voters.
    Celestin - yes, slow down, make things uncomfortable, make some people think twice about joining L&J by making it clear that everything will be remembered and there will be consequences.

Taking part in a demonstration is a nice experience in a country, where chances of violence on such occasion are negligible. And so far it's ok. But for the first time, looking at the police around, I felt a pang of... not yet fear, but anxiety. A year from now, will there be a personal risk involved? That's new here in Poland.

A video for Polish-speaking people (I hope there will be a subtitled version, it's a rare gem) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sMGgEi1gVM&feature=youtu.be

The best Star Wars: The Force Awakens review ever.

Right-wing Polish director analyses how Star Wars (with Empire as good guys) symbolises the dangers of liberal democracy and its attack on the traditional values. Kylo Ren would be a hero of counter-revolution of morally superior youth against their anti-nationalistic, liberal parents. In Polish it sounds awesome, because he mixes traditional right-wing phraseology with Star Wars and I'm pretty sure he is serious.

14. ScottPress

High Score:
    I was pretty sure that L&J would win and I suspected they would rock the boat after it turned out they got majority, but I wasn't expecting that. Kaczynski must have been seriously sore for the past 8 years from all that butthurt.

They fucked with the highest court in the land, which was more than a little WTF. That TV and everything else would be getting L&J approved leadership was a given, because everyone does that, but they went a step further. Granted, I can't know that Civic Platform wouldn't have tried something there if they'd had majority.

Then the Minister of Defence played hardball with NATO, following it up with the long-awaited, seen-it-coming, plan to uncover the truth about the 2010 Smolensk crash. The quest for revenge must continue.

It's both funny and pathetic how obvious it is that our new Prime Minister is just Kaczynski's puppet, to free up time for evil chortling and planning the next big move.

15. Celestin

The Prime Minister is nothing new. Kaczynski did it once, Krzaklewski did it too, but in the end in both times their candidates did grow a backbone. That probably will not happen this time though. What's a lot worse is the complete control over the President that Kaczynski has.

16. blob

blob Fourth Year

It probably doesn't add much to the discussion, but I found it rather apt when my friend described the current government as being a 'dumpster full of toxic things that's currently on fire, with the stench slowly spreading all over the neighborhood'.

And the pressure that the European Council or whatever can put on Poland? Only more fuel for the paranoia of The Party of Righteousness.

Couldn't be happier that I can move somewhere else on a relatively short notice when the need arises.

17. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Opinion piece from the FT today:

https://next.ft.com/content/43967d14-b9f8-11e5-bf7e-8a339b6f2164

18. ScottPress

High Score:
    Yeah, the new government is high as a kite, but we knew that back in October.

Our PM has been insisting that no, the EU isn't doing what they're telling everyone they're doing in regards to Poland and she's been telling the EU that her government hasn't been doing what everyone can see it's been doing and letters were misinterpreted.

Also, I heard in news today that press access to the MPs has been restricted. Journalists are not allowed into some back rooms anymore. Apparently it's the first time in 9 years this has been done (in the name of order). Coincidentally, 9 years ago was the last time L&J was running things.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  19. unorfind

unorfind Third Year

I expected things to be bad with PiS in power, mainly on economic level and with more conservative worldview. But going against Constitutional Tribunal what the fuck!? I mean it wasn't perfect before but now it's crippled and dysfunctional.

To make things even more interesting they already passed new Invigilation law that many non government organizations call as unconstitutional

Ps. S&P lowered Poland's rating today

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  20. Celestin

L&J had just a private meeting where Kaczynski apparently mentioned something about a need to change a voting system in Poland. For now it isn't reported as anything big, but it scares me more than anything else than L&J is doing right now. Why? Because every since I read their proposition for a new constitution I had this feeling that it's not something anyone would want to pass unless they were sure they'll always be the ones in power.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016