1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Q4 2019 Story Competition is kicking off!

Prompt:
    Foreign Magical Regions (Setting outside of Britain)
    Get writing Folks!
    Dismiss Notice

Poland Elections

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ScottPress, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

12/11 will be known as The Hangover Day henceforth and next year people will ask why it isn't a bank holiday like 11/11 - count on it ;)

2. Celestin

Celestin The Cursed Child

A short rant about current politics.

Just now PiS promised that they will give 500+ to every child instead of starting with the second one, even before the upcoming elections. Initial comments sell it like an amazing move from Kaczynski to take away what the opposition can promise to the people.

The only problem with this narration is that 500+ was suppose to be for all and only after the election it was scaled back. The people shouldn't be glad to PiS for this money, but rather angry at being lied and not getting them for the past 3 years.

That's how it should be presented by the opposition, but in their incompetence, they're probably panicking trying to find something else to promise to the people.

3. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    1,826+3348
    The opposition was promising the same thing Kaczynski said, but now he says it, his base perks up.

I find it frustrating that the religious right is so firmly entrenched in Poland while the left only ever gets more splintered. I might even vote for Wiosna because I'm frankly dosgusted by PiS and PO, but I see no realistic chance of voting PiS out of govt. Worst case they'll purusue a coalition and still have the PM and the key Ministries. Polling would have to be way out of whack to not reflect reality.

It's still some 9 months to the election, but I can't imagine what would have to happen at this point for PiS to lose support. PO has been in shambles since Tusk fucked off to Brussels. Not saying that he's some messiah, but he seems to be the only person who could unseat Kaczynski, and while Kaczynski is around, PiS will remain strong.

4. Celestin

The problem with Poland at the moment is that we don't vote for parties, we vote for their strong leaders. That's the reason why despite being hated by a half of our population, Tusk is probably the only person capable of getting the other half, that hates Kaczynski more, vote for him.

No other leader of the opposition can do the same. Maybe Biedron, but he needs to work a lot more before he can appear as a strong, decisive leader. After his latest interviews with less sympathetic reporters where he did rather badly, he needs either to be more like Kaczynki and simply not agree to them or work a lot harder to be like Tusk. To this day his press conference after the discovery of the wiretap tapes is probably the best performance from a Polish politic in a room full of reporters ready to eat him alive.

5. ScottPress

High Score:
    1,826+3348
    Got a link to that? I don't think I ever saw that one.

6. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

We never voted for parties - politics were always a beauty/popularity contest and nothing else. A typical voter is too ignorant to understand programs of the parties and their nuances. Also, they do not care about them.

I don't think that Wiosna will be able to do much. They'll probably end up like Ruch Palikota and die in obscurity. We'll see during the Euro elections, but I'm not holding my breath for them. I'll vote for SLD because right now this is the only party sitting on the left that has any chance of success - Razem as always is alone, and everyone else is too small.

7. Celestin

I don't have it. Though it may not be as impressive as it was live when nobody was sure how it will end.

Yes, but in other countries you take away one person and the party isn't affected that much. Without Tusk PO didn't have any chance of winning the last Sejm election, even if it was almost impossible anyway, and without Kaczynski PiS stops being the first choice of most right side voters.

Wiosna is this year Ruch Palikota, Nowoczesna and Kukiz. They will get a decent numbers, a little above 10%, in Euro elections and maybe Sejm elections because they're few months after, but after they don't actually do anything they slowly get below the necessary 5% for them to be important to anyone.

How do you feel about voting for SLD when it's voting for PO+Nowoczesna+SLD+PSL+Zieloni? They're trying to get everyone under one banner, but some may not want give a vote for their preferred party when they share it with parties they dislike.

8. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

I treat it like a high-end exit poll. With this we will see what kind of popularity SLD and other left partied have. Also, jettisoning PiS out of power is the most important thing in our current politics - nothing else matters.

There are other more important issues - energy prices, smog problem, defense etc. But IMO they pale in comparison to PiS drive towards destruction of liberal democracy and creation of far-right religious authoritarian regime. I don’t want to live in a fucking mental third world country just because a fat fuck did not achieve anything in his life and is responsible for his brothers death.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  9. ScottPress

High Score:
    1,826+3348
    [​IMG]

"Pieniądze rządowe"

I fucking can't even

(survey is from October 2017--I wonder how those numbers would look today)

10. Celestin

Translations:

"Jakie Twoim zdaniem jest główne źródło pieniędzy na wypłaty w ramach programu "500 plus"?
    = What is the main source of the money for 500 plus aid?

"z podatków które ja płacę"
    = from my taxes

"z podaktówk które płacą inni ludzie"
    = from other people's taxes

"z pieniędzy rządowych"
    = it's government money

"z podaktów płaconych przez formy"
    = from corporate taxes

"inne"
    = other

"nie wiem"
    = I don't know

11. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

When most people say "government money" they think "printing money". Also, to be fair - not all money come from taxes - some come from government companies. Yes, it's a small amount but you cannot dismiss it completely.

Still, the above shows that most of people have no idea about economics and flow of money.

12. someone010101

someone010101 Groundskeeper

Soooo, real answer is "all of the above"?

13. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
  14. Longsword

Longsword Groundskeeper

15. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    They called their party "Konfederacja" which translates to "Confederacy" because it's a group of various loosely aligned groups. And well, one of them had to shoot them in the feet and use Confederate flag.

The post translates to:

16. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

You know how it is - Korwin gonna Korwin. At least it's not the usual "Taxes under Hitler were lower" that Korwin says every election ;)

Also, this is far-right group including nationalists so fuck them.

In other news, Razem finally decided to enter a coalition. With such minorities as UP and RSS. So what? 2% in this election?

17. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Korwin is Korwin, but I thought other members may be less suicidal. On the other hand they teamed up with Korwin.
    If only nationalists were the only problem with it.

18. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Tylko nie mów nikomu/Tell no one - a Polish documentary about pedophilia in Polish Catholic Church. English subtitles included.

Posted here as it ain't a cool movie - the topic isn't - and it's relevant to the current political situation in Poland.

19. Celestin

Another day, another scandal.

In a normal country half of these that happened would put PiS below 5% by now, but in Poland they're probably get 45% in the next elections and maybe even a constitutional majority. I'm not sure why is that, but if I were to guess you can do anything as long as you give people money to their hands. It doesn't matter that its theirs, paid in the taxes. All that is important is a psychological effect of getting cash from the government.

Or to paraphrase Alexis De Tocqueville: “The republic endures until the day government discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.”

20. Silirt

Silirt Unspeakable DLP Supporter

There's some doubt he said that himself, but that doesn't make it not true.