1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

Political Posters & Propaganda

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Xiph0, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Solfege

Solfege Death Eater DLP Supporter

The Big Econ Story of 2019: a tight labor market for restaurant workers leads politicos to shun diners.

Screenshot 2019-01-02 02.58.26.png Screenshot 2019-01-02 02.52.35.png

Screenshot 2019-01-02 03.06.39.png

"Why didn't the Revolution happen?"

"Bernie's mac & cheese couldn't make the cut."

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  2. awinarock

awinarock Prisoner

[​IMG]

3. Imariel

Imariel Death Eater DLP Supporter

Looking forward to politics in 20 years.

>Here's that nude you sent on snap when you were 16

4. Solfege

[​IMG]

Speaking of poutine and maple syrup... the next part's gonna start a war [triggering all American vegans/vegetarians]

Screenshot 2018-12-18 21.03.20.png

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  5. Silirt

Silirt Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I'm not a vegetarian or a vegan. The problem with this argument is that if we weren't raising so many pigs and shit to be eaten, we wouldn't need to plant so many acres of feed corn. That land would be used for crops humans can consume.

6. Solfege

You'd be right if farming in the US were about food in any way. It's a real estate racket --- lands rented out to small family/private operations, produce existing as a solution looking for problems to be solved. The land, being productive on two fronts and insured against every sort of loss you can think of, is furthermore used as low-risk ballast in landlords' financial portfolios.

If feed corn weren't needed, the corn would go elsewhere. Indeed, most of it already does.

But even being right, the quotation was about the social responsibility of going vegetarian, sparing animals from suffering. Feed corn or human feed, farmers would nevertheless occupy lands to the detriment of animal ecosystems.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  7. Silirt

Are you implying people who own farms don't use them to grow what the market demands? (Not necessarily food, there's also cotton and tobacco) I'm sure that feed corn could be sold overseas to countries willing to eat meat if the U.S. were for some reason alone in the abandonment of animal product consumption, the point isn't that there would be no demanders of feed corn and other agricultural produce used to raise livestock, but that there would be fewer. In the event that the U.S. and only the U.S. stopped eating meat, the vegans would turn their attention elsewhere.
    I highly doubt their thought process is 'this will generate a perfect world scenario where no animals suffer ever'. I don't think they believe farmland once used for feeding livestock would go back to being wild if everyone stopped eating meat. If people switched to a plant based diet, however, fewer animals would be born and raised to be eaten and the land it would have taken to keep them could be used for something else.
    The central point here is that there's no possible way that someone deciding not to eat meat could increase the amount of animals suffering and the most likely result of many people deciding not to eat it would be a decrease. They see it as a responsibility because that's all they can do, decrease the demand for meat. They can't do anything about people owning land to the detriment of animal species.

8. Solfege

Plenty of farmers do what they do because neighboring farms would ostracise and heckle them otherwise. Peer pressure is a powerful thing. Plenty also aren't inclined to do the "unmanly" things like checking with what customers want (prosocial people things, ugh), marketing their produce and doing any necessary paperwork; leading often to irrational and suboptimal market decisions.

Anyway, you are missing the point. A major annoyance ensuing from the fairly vocal part of vegan/vegetarians is their supposed moral superiority over omnivores, particularly in the pain inflicted on animals. Well, we kill animals pretty painlessly these days, if that's your concern. If vegetarians want to claim a systemic surplus of benefits in vegetarianism, as one sees the annoyingly vocal ones do, then they shouldn't discount the ecosystems they themselves partake in. Their dollar votes as well as any other.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  9. pbluekan

pbluekan Auror DLP Supporter

I’m really wondering where this argument might move to when lab grown meat becomes a truly usable product.

10. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Order Member DLP Supporter

I'm sure the sides will find a new and just as interesting way to screech at each other.

11. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony Prestige

High Score:
    It'll probably pick up a lot of the same flak GMO crops get in terms of "Unnatural demon-science product is not real food!"

12. kinetique

kinetique High Inquisitor

13. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
  14. awinarock

awinarock Prisoner

Honest to god, that Twitter post was fucking brilliant. I don't know if he himself posted it or someone who manages his account when he's not active, but that shit is gold.

15. Silirt

I mean it would be if it weren't months old.

16. awinarock

awinarock Prisoner

It's still hilarious.

Edit:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  17. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    My favorite is still Rick Perry. The guy who wanted to scrap Dept of Energy now runs it. I bet when he said that thing about closing the DOE he didn't know that it's responsible for the nukes.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  18. Download

Download Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Ah, yes. The DoE, responsible for nuclear weapons and naval reactors. Civilian reactors meanwhile are controlled by a far more asinine organisation that does its best to strangle civilian nuclear energy.

19. awinarock

awinarock Prisoner

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Death Eater

Man, and I thought it was a good joke when the Dresden Files ebooks did it. I mean it was, but this really is too perfect, Stupid Watergate indeed.