1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey DLP authors, there's a bit less than a month left to wow us with your story about Daphne or Azkaban.

The Author applies the words to the paper or it gets the hose. Write or die! The more the merrier.

Click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

Political Posters & Propaganda

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Xiph0, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Nazgus

Nazgus Chief Warlock

Yeah I want them to get some more, I'm definitely going to be buying some lol, this stuff is amazing.

2. Solfege

Solfege Headmaster DLP Supporter

Screenshot 2019-02-28 23.45.59.png

Screenshot 2019-02-28 23.47.15.png

3. point09micron

point09micron Seventh Year

So what is he arguing here? That Fox, Breitbart, and Shapiro should be forced to charge to view their content, or that NYT and WaPo need to be free?

4. Agayek

Agayek Fourth Champion DLP Supporter

The second one. The basic thesis is "right leaning news is free, while left-leaning news is not; so why are you fucks surprised that right-leaning news is able to better spread information?"

5. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

6. Invictus

Invictus Banned

And "oh no, the folks that shop at Walmart don't want to pay 50 dollars a month in multiple newspaper subscriptions, how dare they keep being uninformed about these newspapers articles"

7. Nevermind

Nevermind Professor

High Score:
    President Trump visited Auburn today where he, among other things, paid his respects to the local hurricane victims, at which point the following picture was taken.

B54CC33A-FAD1-4C52-ACEA-D5F22502E8DF.jpeg

Anyone else thinking that that woman does not look like Melania?

Edit: The photo in this USA Today article shows a different angle, that makes Melania look a lot more like the woman we know.

I think the profoundly weird effect of the first picture is the result of the unusual angle (almost full frontal) and her actually having her mouth firmly closed, an expression that doesn’t accentuate her chin and jaw line quite as much and thus throws off the comparison with the mental image I (and, according to the latest Twitter frenzy, quite a few others) had of her.

Still a really weird picture, though.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  8. point09micron

Oh I was going to say "hah the Onion haven't read that in years" and when I pasted the quote in I saw you already identified the source.

Anyways, it's still funny for another reason. South Park had an episode like 15 years ago that basically claimed that Simpsons had already done every plot ever. Now I see The Onion ripping off the plot of a South Park episode from over 10 years ago. Now if Simpsons could just rip off The Onion the circle would be complete.

9. Solfege

Solfege Headmaster DLP Supporter

2019: Pepe abandoning Trump for NEETbucks? :eek:

[​IMG]

Screenshot 2019-03-09 01.48.32.png

10. point09micron

The most interesting thing about Yang is that he disproves the stereotype that Asians are good at math.

11. TieHat

TieHat Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Hop off point. #YangGang.

This is what we need. Someone helping the people with capitalism. This is the first I've heard of him and honestly, I love it. Just went through his website.

$1000 a month to everyone is great because it won't be anything catastrophic to the economy. On top of that, everyone is getting it. Taxes aren't going to become an insane 70% (even if it's marginal because of it).

And what do you mean Yang can't do math? The policy is supported by many studies and economists.

It seems to me that you can't do math and are just repeating what others have said.

12. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Lolwut. 1) Basic incomes don't work. Ask Scandinavia. 2) Where exactly would this free money come from? 3) #BadAtMath

13. Agayek

Agayek Fourth Champion DLP Supporter

Not that I disagree, but isn't the idea of UBI that existing welfare programs would be eliminated, as the UBI would render them redundant, and so the funding for it would come predominantly from funds redirected from the eliminated programs?

Honestly, I'd think a much bigger issue would be that of cost of living variability, as $1000 isn't enough for even just rent in most major metropolitan areas, whereas it's enough to live like a (frugal) king in most rural communities. Which means a big chunk of cash is getting "wasted" out in the sticks, while a bunch of city folks still don't have nearly enough to meet the stated goal of a UBI (read: physical necessities covered). Which then leads into the challenge of trying to sell people on "you get paid less than them because they're more successful".

The whole thing seems like such an ill-conceived shitshow waiting to happen that I'm honestly kinda baffled why anyone thinks it's a good idea.

14. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If you eliminate social healthcare spending, maybe, but barring that, no, discriminatory welfare spending doesn't have enough money to fund that kind of a handout.

15. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

As a Scandinavian, what are you referring to here? We do not have UBI, there was a test program going in Finland but the results of that are not published yet.

16. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    @Agayek I think the idea is that if everyone gets a 1000$ no matter what, you're then still free to work a job. But that's a lot of money to fund this. You'd pretty much have to get rid of every other kind of social assistance and tax break. Here's a 1000 dollars, go nuts. If you want to live in the woods and just pay for utilities, Internet and Netflix, go ahead. If you want to live in a city, put that money towards rent or childcare, but for everything else you pay like everyone else.

17. BTT

BTT Headmaster

18. vlad

vlad Banned Prestige

High Score:
    In theory, UBI is a way to have social welfare while at the same time not distorting the markets too much. People that need the money to buy health insurance buy health insurance. People that need the money for food buy food. The program is openly redistributionist but doesn't pretend otherwise; and it simplifies the bureaucracy of social programs because there's only only channel everything is funneling through before it's spent in the private market. The inflation effects on everything from health insurance to student loans *should* be reduced.

In practice, I'll believe it when I see it. No existing programs will be phased out. Approximating the eligible population at approx 250 million (based on eligible voters), then that's 3 trillion dollars a year, or three times more than the current budgeted federal welfare programs.

Which, if it replaced those programs, and if it eliminated the constant demand for more, might well be worth it. But it won't.

Edit: @BTT - I think one of the major flaws of our political system right now is that we are trapped in binary thinking that communism or capitalism are
    1. The only two options available or that will ever be available and;
    2. That rules that apply to markets ought to dominate all aspects of society. That the market is the society.

Both systems are fundamentally flawed in that they treat all people as fungible, both believe that human nature is far more malleable than it is, and both treat civilizations as existing for the purpose of the markets.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  19. Longsword

Longsword Sixth Year

True enough. But the answer to this question doesn't really exist, so "markets" should be the most practical answer.

20. vlad

vlad Banned Prestige

High Score:
    I suspect the Mahicans may disagree with you, the impressive gains in GDP over the past five centuries in the Hudson River Valley notwithstanding.

The answer is people. The purpose of a society is not to produce the most cost efficient widgets or to ensure the equality of ownership of said widgets. It is to perpetuate itself, and to produce a standard of living such that its people desire to perpetuate it.

While producing and distributing desired goods is obviously an element of that, it is not by any means sufficient. If it were, one could have a society without any people at all. Automated production paired with automated consumption.