1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Q3 2019 Story Competition entries are up folks! Reviewing open untill TOMORROW! (September 24th)

Once you have reviewed, you can rank your top three
    Dismiss Notice

Political Posters & Propaganda

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Xiph0, Sep 1, 2008.

1. ThePinkTomato

ThePinkTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah fuck people that want to continue their education. They can stay down in the lower classes where they belong, right?

2. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The problem is that the "college for everyone" paradigm inevitably leads to college degrees meaning almost nothing. The whole reason a college degree was valuable in the 50s was that having one was a mark of higher education than the norm, and thus guaranteed the holder a high-paying and desirable job. Now, all a college degree does is open up jobs that pay slightly more than minimum wage.

I'm all for letting people have upward social mobility, but the current US college system is not a good way to do that. In fact, all it does is saddle folks with massive amounts of debt in pursuit of a mostly useless piece of paper.

3. Agayek

Agayek Totally Sirius DLP Supporter

I've said it elsewhere, but we absolutely need to shift the focus from college to trade schools and apprenticeships for most of the population, much like how most of Europe does it. For example, Germany has about a bit under half of the US' college enrollment rate (if memory serves, a bit over 30% vs almost 80%), yet no one is going around claiming they're uneducated savages with no social mobility.

Universities are very important for society at large, but it's really not useful for the overwhelming majority of the population. They're simply not going to be doing anything that requires or is otherwise made easier by going to college. And that's made all the worse by the fact that by virtue of their ubiquity in the modern day, a university degree has about as much value as a high school degree did forty years ago.

At this point, unless you're planning a career in medicine, research, data science, and maybe computers, you're better off skipping college entirely and picking up a skill, self-taught or otherwise. It'll be more useful on your resume and won't saddle you with 5-6 figure debt in the process.

4. Longsword

Longsword Seventh Year

The poster mentioned the 1950s, when college was not where everybody ended up.
    People in the 1950s would be surprised by how colleges are no as elitist as they once were.
    A college degree improves your value in the market by a great extent.
    So if it takes you a lifetime to repay your loans despite having a degree then the fault is not the lender's.

@Agayek
    There is a simple trick to cutting down stupid loans : drastically cut down student loan programmes. It is no accident that the student loan crisis became a thing only after federal programs started handing loans out to everyone.

Or bring private lenders into the game, see income sharing.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  5. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

6. Nevermind

Nevermind Auror

High Score:
  7. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
  8. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    1,826+3348
  9. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well I have been told, in all seriousness, that I am misogynistic and transphobic for saying I won't sleep with someone who has a vagina. I was...unimpressed.

10. Arthellion

High Score:
    One thing one of my professor's mentioned in my English lit class is that there is a animosity/arguments between Gay men and some of the other LGBTQ+ communities? How accurate is that?

11. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There is a bit, but only in a fairly limited way. Amongst some older sections of the gay male community there's an attitude that it was us that fought the fight and took the brunt of the abuse and oppression over the last century plus, so the other elements of the community don't know how good they've got it or should be a bit respectful to us.

On top of that there's some occasional annoyance about the perception that the trans community is trying to...I suppose 'backdate' themselves in the movement by claiming that historical drag queens were trans (specifically Marsha P. Johnson, but also others). That is obviously a contentious issue because historically there wasn't an awareness of transgenderism so it could well have been expressed through drag but today those individuals would have been part of the trans community, but drag was also very much a gay male thing until quite recently and many historical drag queens were not trans, just like many modern drag queens aren't.

There's always been a bit of a thing between the G and the L communities, both sides have often wanted single gender spaces and so have excluded each other from their social groups which never leads to good relations.

And then we're now getting to the point where the older echelons of the the gay community are guys that have been out for a very long time and like all old people, think they know everything. And like all old people, they tend to be blinkered by their lived experiences and so there's a bit of the "back in my day we didn't have demisexuals, you're just picky" or "back in my day we didn't have asexuals, that isn't a thing". And they often try to present themselves as speaking on behalf of the whole community...which is reasonable on the basis that these are the people who marched through abuse and oppression 40 years ago, who risked their lives for the rights we have today, and who for a long time were the face of the community. But they don't realise that they aren't the face of the community anymore, and whilst they are owed respect and thanks, they don't get to decide membership or participation.

Hope that answers your question? Happy to take it to PM if you want to discuss it more, rather than derail the thread.

12. Arthellion

High Score:
    That answered the question! Appreciate it.

13. WierdFoodStuff

WierdFoodStuff Squib

14. awinarock

awinarock Fourth Champion

[​IMG]

15. The Nii Knight

The Nii Knight Squib

16. Nevermind

Nevermind Auror

High Score:
    I mean… yeah?

D3277DFE-77A7-4A81-8D50-55C705DA891E.jpeg

17. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

To be entirely fair, the first paragraph basically says that Farage should read it to avoid falling into the same trap.

I'm still not convinced about the wisdom of your title/headline being undercut by your first paragraph.

18. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

A sarticial article making little sense? It's just like how they are managing Brexit then.

19. Amekonnen

Amekonnen Third Year

High Score:
    Sure in theory I'd agree with you guys that we need to de-emphasize the 4 year traditional path in favor for vocational and trade schools, but I disagree in practice because these things have tended to shaft minorities. Unless you all are willing to have massive government oversight to ensure they don't get fucked(again), then the more practical option is to essentially offer stripped down college degrees in the colleges themselves to give them a chance at a 4 year degree if they wanted.

20. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    1,826+3348
    [​IMG]

"Film critics"