1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Q4 II 2019 Flash Story Competition

Prompt: Magical Fairytales
    Length: 800 - 1.2k
    Get Writing Folks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Post your plants

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Palindrome, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Palindrome

Palindrome A bigger, darker mark Moderator DLP Supporter

Friends. Buddies. Did you know that you're old now? Yeah, I bet you did. You old motherfuckers. You've been staring in the mirror and wrinkles have been staring back.

A side-effect of aging is that you start to develop strange interests in things you previously regarded as the dullest thing on earth. You've categorised your tools by size. You've been shopping for table mats. You've got matching furniture for your living room. And now it's plants.

Shh. It's okay. This is a safe place. Post your plants and gardens here, you old-ass geezers.

[​IMG]

For real though, has anyone else been super into their greenery lately? The above picture is my latest plant haul. If you can't tell, I freaking love epiphytes. I am now the proud owner of five phalaenopsis orchids. I'll probably get more, because I have a problem. Pictured are my two bromeliads, too - I'm new to bromeliads so I'm super nervous about looking after them.

My plant life has changed significantly since I got kittens. This is how it used to look:

[​IMG]
    It was FABULOUS. But I got rid of everything that was toxic to cats. The kittens chewed the shit out of everything else and the cats took up all the attention I was otherwise using to mist my ferns to keep the little bastards alive. RIP. I'm becoming a crazy orchid lady now.

So what about you guys? I can't be the only one way too into my plants, can I? Is anyone considering getting some houseplants and doesn't know where to start?

The correct answer is: "yes Palindrome, ever since I hit thirty I've become a chlorosexual. Here are pictures to prove it"

2. Vira

Vira Death Eater

My current lineup:

[​IMG]

I too have a cat, so my maximum capacity of plants is connected to how many I can squeeze on the top of my bookshelf. I had hoped a couple of these guys would die during the annual winter purge, but all held on, so I can't buy more plants. :/

So many plants to buy... so little room to hold them.

3. Solfege

Solfege Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Me watering my plants.

Screenshot 2019-04-07 22.43.27.png

4. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    1,826+3348
    This is my specially designated Green Corner. It illustrates my attitude towards house plants better than I could describe it with words.

[​IMG]

5. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator DLP Gold Supporter

For the green minded I would ask some advice, which houseplants are the hardest to kill?

6. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Succulents. Just all of the succulents.

7. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Order Member

My lab mate used to keep one on her desk. Someone decided that a plant’s best friend is lots of water.

8. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, don't do that. Succulents do fine if you water them once a week.

9. Palindrome

Haha, you gotta neglect them better! I find the trick is to constantly intend to, but never water them. You could try hanging plants if you're into that, for extra space.

People generally recommend succulents - get a snake plant if you don't have a chewy cat, because they're lovely and tolerate a lot everything. A lot of succulents will let you just ignore them and be perfectly happy.

I'd actually say if you're a beginner, get a moth orchid (phalaenopsis, the thing I'm mad about). All you need a spot that has bright light but not direct sun, and temperatures of 15-25 degrees Celsius. The really neat thing about phals is that they come in see-through plastic pots, and their roots tell you exactly when they need watering at a glance: if they're green, hold off watering. If they're silver all over then you can just give them a little soak. They're drought resistant, too.

In terms of regular leafy plants, you can't go wrong with a weeping fig. Figs will always love you. Or for the exotics, monstera deliciosa is magnificent and really hardy.

The best thing to do is master your watering method. For regular soil, it's generally better to put water in the tray and let the soil soak it up, and only water from the top once a month to flush out salts. That way, the plant only gets as much as you need and you just tip the rest of it out.

10. Palindrome

That might be a bit much, depending on your environment. Succulents like it when you mimic their natural environment, drought and downpour. You can let the soil completely dry up, and finally when you're feeling merciful pour massive quantities of water on them until it spills through the bottom of the pot.

I think I only water mine about once a month, but I am not a merciful God. (And my room humidity is excessive)

11. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Order Member

I live in a very tropical part of the world with quite a noticeable impact of global warming. As my lab mate later said, pouring that much water into a succulent in this weather is truly someone’s idea of a sick joke. The truly fucked up thing was the note next to the plant which simply said “I love your plant!” with a smiley face.

Fwiw, we all reached the conclusion that it was a prof’s six year old who’d done that because he comes in quite often and the writing was the prof’s. The lab mate just ended up getting a new succulent in the end.