1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Potion question

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by MrINBN, Jun 7, 2007.

1. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

So, I was puttering around in IRC, and a thought struck me. You know how people always have their lucky (item)? Well, what if it's possible to manufacture a lucky item by soaking it in Felix Felicis? It's kind of a minor thing, but it might just change the course of whatever the character is doing at the moment.

2. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    We know that drinking to much of that potion gives you badluck, so would the same thing happen here?

Or perhaps...if you soaked an item in it, and then had that item against your skin, it would provide a slow, very slow, intake of the potion, meaning that it lasts longer that 24 hours, but doesn't give total luck, just a slight prod in the right direction or something.

I do like the idea, it has potential as a plot device in a fic. Imagine, the Weasley twins making an absolute killing (bad pun I know) by selling items soaked in luck potion.

3. Klael

Klael Headmaster DLP Supporter

Yeah, a very interesting idea. You'd have to be exact, with instructions about how to saturate certain objects and how to brew a potion so that it doesn't react with the object.

4. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Good idea. Contact with the skin is a good limiter. Perhaps an enchantment along with the potion would work. Like some sort of filtering charm? Or something to keep the object decently soaked with the potion so it doesn't run dry.

I like it.

5. Klael

I always worked off the notion that mixing magic and potions was, unless otherwise directed by a master or textbook, a bad idea, seeing as how potions is such a precise art--stirring the wrong direction will often drastically affect the results, let alone a spell that may or may not have too much (or too little) magic put into it by the castor.

Is there some sort of magic-grading system devised in the magical world, that they use to judge how much magic is needed in a spell? That sounds like one of the more usefull systems that there would be--and, subsequently, exactly the sort of thing that they WOULDN'T have.

6. Styx

Styx Third Year

7. Klael

Oh yeah, I read that. That was a little odd, I stopped reading when it didn't seem to go anywhere.

8. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

In chapter 11 of Gene-Spliced Harry we see this:

9. Klael

Well, seeing as how that's just from a fanfic, i'd take the opportunity to actually create some sort of set of rules when applying brewed potions to solid objects. Of course, I'd also imagine that there are other means that don't require a complex potion to be brewed that are far easier, i.e. enchanments. It would probably be far easier to enchant an object to be lucky in the same way, and also easier to recharge it.