1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Celestin, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

A trailer.

I'm not entirely sure if it will deserve to have its own thread, but Dark Minion hasn't start this season Animeeshon thread yet.

Anyway, the drawing style is very close to the one from manga and it will take some time to get used to it. But for now I'm quite disappointed in music.

Also, I was reminded that I always wanted to read a good HP/SM crossover where post-War Harry ends up in Japan. :)

2. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Is Sailor Moon any good as a series? I tried reading the manga but it didn't catch my interest. Yet it seems quite popular.

3. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hehehe. Hahaha. Fwahahahaha.

Phew.

It's a 90s shoujo magical girl thing. What do you think? The target audience is a lot younger opposite gender.

4. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    The girls aren't even particularly good looking for that sort of targeting. I don't see any sort of appeal in Sailor Moon.

Someone explain it to me? Celestin?

5. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's the magical girl show, and a classic in Japan.

6. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Which means ... nothing?

7. Selethe

Selethe normalphobe

Never watched Sailor Moon, but this movie's title looks like five random words strewn together. Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal? Sounds like Barbie Princess Charm School.

8. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

It's one of these series that you start watching out of curiosity and then have about 90% chance that it will become your guilty pleasure and you will start rooting for the characters without realizing when that happened. And it is a definitive title in its genre which means that it could happen to a lot of people trying to get into this Anime thing.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  9. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

It's like the DBZ of the Shoujo Magical Girls genre. It was released during a time when the Magical Girl genre was on the rise and it just happened to be generic enough to pull in a huge audience. So, it ended up becoming the flagship show for the Magical Girl genre much like DBZ did for Shounen.

10. Platypus

Platypus Groundskeeper

I'm pretty obsessive over this. Sailor Moon was my first big fandom, and now they're dropping all of this new stuff all over the place. It's pretty awesome.

Sailor Moon Crystal is confirmed to be a 26 episode reboot of the franchise. We have almost no other information about it, but rumor has it that it's going to line up more closely with the manga than the original anime run. Episodes are being released through an online streaming service called NicoNico on the first and third Saturdays of every month starting July 5th, 6 AM ET.

In the meantime, a couple of weeks ago Viz made a surprise announcement that they'd scored the rights to the original anime, which had been in limbo for ten years. Viz is retranslating all 200 episodes and airing new subs on Hulu and NeonAlley. In a month or so they're going to start releasing a completely new dub. "Completely faithful to the original!" Anyone familiar with the original dub might get a laugh out of their Sailor Moon Announcement Trailer.

For anyone not familiar with the franchise: the original Sailor Moon anime and manga ran concurrently, which lead to some fairly dramatic differences in the stories they told. The Sailor Moon manga is a tightly written, dark-ish, violent magical girl story where the author really wanted to kill everyone but her editor wouldn't let her. The anime is a 200 episode expansion with Monsters of the Day, looser storytelling that lets character development happen, and the occasional wtfery that comes from trying to match pace with a manga that just screwed with your entire storyline and leaves all the writers a flustered mess. The plus side of the anime is that when it does something well, it does it really really well, but the plus side of the manga is overall consistency and better storytelling in general.

There's also a surprisingly good liveaction series with cheesy Power Rangers special effects and a dramatic take on the first arc of the manga, and a loooooong line of stage musicals that have been resurrected in the past year that are like watching Barney on stage only with a 50/50 shot of killing everyone before the final act.

11. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It sounds like there are a lot of basement dwelling losers in this thread who don't know about fighting evil by moonlight or winning love by daylight.

I bet all of you would run from a real fight and turn your back on a friend. You're definitely not ones on who we can depend.

Sailor Moon is my shit.

FIGHT ME.

/inb4 overcritical edgelords get punished in the name of the Moon.

12. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Those horse-legs of theirs are gonna take some getting used to.

13. Platypus

Platypus Groundskeeper

All I can think of is this.

[​IMG]

Ash
  14. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

I read the manga and watched the anime as a kid (and teenager). The anime was disappointing, but I'm still rewatching it as Hulu Plus releases episodes in anticipation of the new series.

The new animation style has really weird eyes/faces IMO, they look too narrow or something. That said, I'll still watch every episode.

15. Platypus

Platypus Groundskeeper

Ash
  16. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I'm pretty hyped, not gonna lie.

17. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

... I forgot how socially backwards this show was.

18. Platypus

Platypus Groundskeeper

I enjoyed it less than I thought I would, though it had its moments. The new style/palette changes have yet to win me over. I really disliked the big pouty lips on a bunch of 13 and 14 year olds (something the original anime was far more tasteful about), the blank lack of focus going on with Usagi's EYES, and how Morga went from being creepy/freaky in the previous versions to being clownish in this one.

I have mixed feelings about the rest of it. While Kotono Mitsuishi is still great, the rest of the voice acting came across as bland in comparison. I like the return of the arcade, but not how much of a girly-boy Motoki (and Jadeite, for that matter) looks in this style. And it looks like the rumored timeline adjustment (from 1992 technology and society to 2014) didn't happen, unless I missed something significant.

The trailer for the second episode is up here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEPcAZ8Vi94

19. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

I thought that the sound effects and ambiance were fantastic. The opening credits were lovely, and these were gorgeous.

I really disliked the faces, from the eyes to their spacing to the lips, in the trailer, and I still dislike them. That said, I'm starting to get used to it, and some angles and characters look better than others. I really hate how Luna looks, though :/

I was fond of the more cartoony original animation, with bright colors and hilarious expressions, but some of the animation really blows the original out of the water, and I think I'll adjust.

Mamoru looks WAY better, and he even seemed a lot nicer/more likeable in this first episode. He's a bit more fleshed out than he was at this point in the original, and hasn't thrown a rose yet.

The Sailor V game certainly looked good, but I'd agree that it doesn't seem like 2014, no cell phones, but we'll see what Ami gets, if her mini super-computer is instead an advanced tablet or something.

I'm always sad that Naru and Umino slowly got phased out, especially Umino, I love him.

20. Alraune

Alraune Seventh Year

Mamoru will probably be a lot more like his decent manga portrayal without the director having a hate boner over him like in the first anime. They at least seem to be keeping him a 17 year old jewel thief this time around instead of a 20+ University student.

I am hopeful for this show. But this episode felt a little rough. I like Naoko's art style and this anime looks like they attempted to get it but just missed it and went into uncanny valley instead. Sometimes it's okay and sometimes it's really creepy.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014