1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Prios' Challenge #1 - Harry Potter-Black

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Prios, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Prios

Prios Second Year

Prios' Challenge;

Summery; Godfather in Azkaban. Remaining family muggles. One pseudo uncle dead, another an werewolf. The potential caregivers of one Harry Potter never looked good, so when Orion and Walburga Black showed interest, the ministry welcomed the notion with open arms.

Ideas; Wealth obsessed Harry(Creating businesses, failure of some so he doesn't seem infallible), possibility of uniting the houses (Potter-Black), believing himself better because of his blood, but understanding the need for muggleborn for the "lower" level jobs. His stand on Voldemort should probably be considered neutral, knowing that he needs muggleborn as workers and that war is bad for business. Political on some level, setting something up with the ministry that could be seen as charity but in the end, profit for the family.

Edit; Forgot to mention the motivation of the Black's adoption. The Black family is on the verge of collaps, Sirius and Bellatrix in Azkaban, Andromeda married to a muggleborn, Regulus dead.

I'm sorry if I missed something important while making the thread, ding first post.

Prios.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  2. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sounds very similar to something I've already read. Can't recall the fics name, started off very similar to what your suggesting. Went downhill later though.

3. Prios

Prios Second Year

Ah, never read anyhing close to what I'm suggesting, the idea been stuck in my head for months now, sadly my writing talent is meh, and my dedication is lacking otherwise I would have given it a shot myself.

4. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    How would they adopt him? really now?

The name makes me cringe enough, but I guess I'd give it a spin.

5. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

"Potter-Black"

:facepalm

Don't give Harry that name and the story will instantly double in potential.

6. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

Harry Potter raised by Walburga? Dumbledore wouldn't let that happen.

Sounds similar to a story that had Harry adopted by Blacks that were Squibs. Unfortunately I don't recall the title, but it wasn't very good.

7. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I remember reading that. It's name was Black-something...

Though at later chapter's it got horrible.

8. Another Empty Frame

High Score:
    Pretty sure you mean Of Blacks and Malfoys, never read, no link but that's the story.

9. Nargles

Nargles Seventh Year

10. Another Empty Frame

High Score:
    RIGHT I didn't read once I found out there were no lines like

Should be a cultural influence

11. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

Harry Septimus Orion Phoenix Severus Dumbledore Potter-Gryffindor-Slytherin-Black-Verres

This seems like a recipe for awesome.

12. Another Empty Frame

High Score:
    you said Verres? you know how I -

at's the difference between a joke and a well endowed aboriginal lover?

13. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Actually its not a half bad idea until you say something about 'creating businesses'. Not only that, but you should remember the Blacks are dead in the original timeline; Harry wouldn't even remember their influence and while the Black fortune might be his, he would still be an orphan and most likely raised in the Muggle world.

You could salvage this plot by simply downplaying the plot hole in several ways:

1. They are alive because Harry saved them. Thus,

They raised him as a Pureblood and he does or does not believe in it. If he does, he finds out later on that his mother was a Mudblood and either hates her for it or hates the Blacks for lying to him. If he doesn't, he tries to walk a fine line between being a proper Slytherin and befriending half bloods, Hermione, etc.

I could see Neville and Draco playing a big part in a story like that.

2. They died and Harry just has one more regret in his life, plus a few more assets. Sirius and he would also have a reason to be so close. He and Kreacher would replace he and Dobby (although that could be an awesome plot device in its own right come Chamber of Secrets time) and he could also use the Black Library or find the first Horcrux early resulting in a complete different story.

3. The Ministry intervened and either gave Harry to them or tried to gain control themselves. They could either be rooted in evil (Fudge, Barty Crouch Sr.) or actually mean well (Bones, Moody) but either way this would be a very political thing and Dumbledore would obviously play a large part.

Personally, I would like to see Harry raised by the Blacks but have them die before he starts Hogwarts. Thus, he gets some of the social standing and Pureblooded upbringing as well as some broader knowledge of magic and the magical world but is informed after their deaths that his own mother was a Muggleborn. When he gets to Hogwarts he is unsure of himself in private but puts on a show within his house (most assuredly Slytherin) and while he is not foolish enough to bully any Muggleborns in public he does feel better than them to begin with.

Potential friends or allies wouldn't necessarily have to come from the Slytherin house though he would certainly need a good friend from their. I fear for the story if Draco becomes a true friend (although I wouldn't want to make him an enemy until he chooses against Voldemort after his resurrection) and it would be all too easy to give him a male and female friend ala Ron and Hermione; instead I would like him to be friends with Susan Bones (whose Aunt tried to have him removed from the Blacks before they adopted him) and students that are well-respected and knowledgeable rather than great fun and loyal; Greengrass, Zabini, Nott, anyone from Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff and very few people from Gryffindor.

I would prefer to have Harry eventually warm to Hermione when he notices that she is one of the strongest students and a very proper person by any standard but I wouldn't expect this until third year. Ron would most likely hate him as soon as he's sorted so I wouldn't expect anything but conflict from him until post-Triwizard Tournament.

Rough outline:

Harry's sorted in Slytherin. His classmates immediately recognize him as the Boy Who Lived and the heir to the Black fortune. Not everyone in Slytherin wants to be his friend but those that do are a form of protection against the ones that wish him ill will. Some upperclassmen like him just because he's a Black and others think they can use him to increase their social standing.

Slowly he gets to know students from the other classes because he is attempting to get away from the boisterous common room and the snakes who want him for his fame and money. He almost immediately strikes up a friendship with Susan Bones and he spends time studying in the library with her and he has a hesitant relationship with her other friends who don't really trust him.

Harry did not go to Gringotts with Hagrid and has no idea that the vault was broken into. He doesn't find Fluffy and Hagrid distrusts him because he is a Slytherin. McGonagall is strict with him but still kind-hearted because of his parents and even saves him from Snape once or twice. Snape is just as angry with him but is also intrigued by him because he is showing a real talent for magic and potions. Dumbledore keeps a sharper eye on him but is also kind-hearted and willing to help him.

However, he does not receive the Invisibilty cloak over Christmas nor the photo album of his parents. He stays at Hogwarts over their break because he chooses to. He is not emancipated but (insert bullshit) a caveat has been made so that he can live in the Black home because Kreacher has been sworn to protect him. This looks terrible to me as I write it so it should only be glossed over in the fic.

Ron ends up feeling guilty enough he asks his two twin brothers to help him save Hermione and the teachers respect them a little bit more than before. Harry has no idea anyone is in danger and just heads back to the common room.

All this culminates in Harry not meeting Voldemort at all his first year. Slytherin wins the House Cup, Harry does not join the Quidditch squad and he is one of the top students in his year easily. He especially enjoys Charms work and is unafraid of reading ahead.

Summer is his confrontation with Dobby, who appears in the Black household and is almost killed by Kreacher. Harry helps him to survive and forces Kreacher to heal him. Thus the bad blood between Dobby and Kreacher begins with a bang. Harry gets all his letters back and calmly advises Dobby to leave well enough alone though he appreciates his sentiments. Dobby is fretful but yields.

Second year Harry is excited to go back to school; he's been studying a lot and has been free to use magic as he please. He has learned the Stunning spell and mutiple shielding spells, is able to Transfigure at a third year level and could probably scrape an Acceptable in OWL Level charms.

Lockhart has not met Harry when he comes to school but Harry recognizes he is a fraud and that the man wants a piece of him. He is wary of him and begins to practice Defense Against the Dark Arts on his own more frequently.

When Snape and Lockhart start the Dueling club Harry is certain he can be the best. In his duel with Draco he discovers he can talk to snakes but recognizes the skill and does his best to cover it up; however, Draco knows he spoke to the snake and reveals it to the rest of Slytherin.

When the Chamber of Secrets is opened the majority of Slytherin thinks he is the Heir; a notion that he refuses to discuss openly but does little to dissuade. Some fear him and some respect him and watch to see his burgeoning power. Someone (Malfoy) puts a poisonous snake in his room but he controls it and even keeps it as a pet and a reminder not to fuck with him.

These are the first examples of Harry making a power play within Slytherin, however, he still remains an inquisitive and polite student and most of the school sees this. The other classes give him shit about being the Heir but his close ties with Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw help - in the beginning. When Justin Finch-Fletchley is petrified things begin to sour and all but his closest friends think he is the Heir.

On his own he sets out to learn more about the Heir and eventually finds out about Hagrid and Tom Riddle (who he has been informed is actually Lord Voldemort). He confronts Hagrid about it and though the man will scarcely speak they strike up a slight friendship.

Eventually, through following the sounds of the Basilisk, he finds the sink in Myrtle's bathroom and enters the Chamber of Secrets. Lockhart attempts to stop him and take the discovery for his own but Harry defends himself and turns the Memory charm against Gilderoy.

He finds Ginny in the Chamber and confronts Riddle but attacks him as soon as he can. When the spells do not effect Tom, Harry is forced to fight the basilisk. Using his ability to speak to the snake he confuses the beast and runs off. Sneakily he makes his way to the book and, just before Ginny is completely consumed he burns it, killing Riddle.

The basilisk is still alive and though he makes an attempt to talk to it, it will not speak. Afraid the massive snake will eat Ginny if he leaves, he does his best to return to the ground level and eventually does, living Lockhart down there. When Dumbledore returns, the man is nowhere to found and theY assume he has fled the scene... Harry personally thinks the basilisk ate him.

Ginny is shaken up but thinks Harry is a hero and of course develops feelings for him that he doesn't return. Of course, this is over a period of years...

The situation with Dobby does not play out the same and he remains in servitude with Malfoy. Harry makes Dumbledore think he is giving the book to Malfoy, however, he sticks it in his own pocket and eventually reads through it as it is just a simple book with Lord Voldemort's thoughts in it.

Anyways, thats a good start for a fic. You could probably do that much in less than 20,000 words. I've spent entirely too long on this outline already so...

14. Portus

Portus Heir

And this reminds me of a fic I saw semi-recently where Lockhart recovers, only to be discovered later as the new host for Diary!Riddle.

Fugitives from Azkaban, perhaps?

15. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was BajaB's fic.

16. Lynn Skye

Lynn Skye Banned

°Challenge accepted!°
    I will start writing an outline now.
    If I really go ahead with the idea, I'll send another message here!