1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Project Cafe/Nintendo Stream/Wii 2

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by AAli, Apr 22, 2011.

1. AAli

AAli High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

[​IMG]

Leaked image of the case for the new console. Not confirmed to be true or anything yet though.

Console details:
    It won't have the name 'Wii' in it
    Will use Blu Ray
    More powerful than the PS3
    Similar size to the Xbox 360
    Will look like a modernised SNES
    Will be using a triple-core IBM PowerPC chipset similar to that of the Xbox 360, but with even faster speeds
    Hardware manufactured by FoxConn, a Taiwanese company

Controller details:
    6.2″ touchscreen.
    Controller has 8 buttons.
    Not a replacement for Wiimote and not all games need it.
    Wii 2 might be able to use Wii controllers – either way it will have controllers of that type.
    Two players can be using two different controllers at same time – for new types of gameplay?
    System streams data to controller screen.
    Controller camera can be used to take photos, put in game while you play – another offering for innovative gameplay.

Supposedly scheduled for late 2011/early 2012 and kight even drop as early as October 2011. $350/$400 is the early numbers being mentioned.

2. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

The question I have: Do you think that with all this upgrading and power building and remodeling, it will become a new front runner in hardcore gaming or will developers still relegate it to the "family/child" forum that they has kept the Wii in for so long?

3. RedBear

RedBear Second Year

From what I've heard, Nintendo has been more aggressively marketing this system towards developers, trying to solve its huge 3rd party developer problem. You can see evidence of this in the image in the OP as well. All of the points mentioned in the graphic were developer focused. Getting a system with true next gen graphics will help solve this.

Given the still quite large lead the Wii has over the 360 and PS3 in sales, that may be enough it get the attention of developers it needs.

That, combined with a superior version of WiiWare to encourage indie games, is what Nintendo needs to do to regain appeal to hardcore games, since if the games are there, gamers will find them.

One note, it looks like Nintendo is specifically gunning for Microsoft. One of the points mentioned is easy portability from Xbox 360. I also like how Nintendo is releasing this console in the middle of the normally 10-yr cycle. It seems like Nintendo's really trying to fulfill the stereotype of the ruthless Japanese businessman.

Also, there is already information about the new controller, which has a touchscreen built in. IGN's worries about price also worry me.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  4. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I don't see them ever breaking out of this. They'll try like fuck, but everyone is likely to still burn them like fuck over their old retarded policy of All-Ages-Access-Gaming only.

Nintendo stepped on a lot of toes trying to keep their image, and used a hammer on the rest. I don't see them getting a lot of support in the fore of this, even if it does get pushed out.

5. RedBear

RedBear Second Year

The thing is, Nintendo does allow for M-rated games.
    Remember No More Heroes 1/2 and Madworld? And there's the RE4 remake. There's even versions of certain Call of Duty games on the Wii.

True, Nintendo has focused on family games, to the point of hurting themselves in some ways, but they have proved willing to allow more mature content.

Of course, I don't know exactly what Nintendo's 3rd party policies are, so what exactly is their problem with them is something I really don't know.

I think as long as Nintendo is willing to be nicer to developers, and not shackle them with ideas of family-friendliness, they attract developers. But they have to make the first steps, and it looks like they're going to.

6. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Why do I get the feeling that Nintendo is going to go the way of Sega and its console line?

7. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Lolwut?

Consoles have traditionally been released on a 4-5 year life cycle, this ten year one is something new, and MS/Sony realized halfway through that they couldn't count on it to keep going; thus the move/kinect (as well as targeting a more "casual" audience).

I'll be looking at this with interest. Truth be told 90% of console games don't interest me anymore, and I only keep my ps3 around for certain exclusives. If Nintendo can bring about another platform for newer games, I'd be interested in it.

8. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

No idea. Nintendo sales are still through the goddamn roof, outweighing Xbox and PS3 sales significantly.

9. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

Is it just me, or is that controller VERY reminiscent of the Dreamcast?

10. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

Not really. It's a coincidence.

The Xbox runs a version of the NT kernel which makes it easy to port games from it to and from the PC. The PS3 architecture is relatively alien and very different than the PC/Xbox.

Since this 'Wii 2' apparently has a modified version of the 360's three core processor, it makes sense that it's now easier to port games to and from the 360, and by extension, the PC.

11. Solomon

Solomon Heir

So this is pretty cool, but after the Wii, I think I'm going to wait a while before buying this one. I got my Wii pretty late (since it was impossible to find one), and I still wound up regretting my purchase.

Hopefully this will be a better console.

12. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was first in line for the Wii when it came out.

I'm going to wait this time. Cautiously optimistic, though.

13. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

I dunno, Sega's consoles were pretty popular/sold through the roof, but then the whole Saturn/Dreamcast thing...

I just sort of get that vibe from this.

14. AAli

AAli High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

A lot of news about Nintendo’s new console has been released in the past few hours. The Project Cafe has been confirmed for E3 this year. It has said to be playable at the convention and have a 2012 release date. Here’s Nintendo’s official statement: “We will show a playable model of the new system and announce more specifications at the E3 Expo, which will be held June 7-9, 2011, in Los Angeles”. A few images have also been leaked, but no one is really sure if they are fakes are not. Check them out below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nintendo confirmed that a new console is in production and will be unveiled and playable at E3 this year, earlier today.

Various information has crept up since then, but most interestingly, a image which is said to be of the controller for the console has surfaced aswell.

As you can see, it has a touch screen and buttons, all tucked into the controller. Although, this might just be an concept but rumours suggests that the final design would be similar to this one.

Nintendo’s set to unleash a flood of details regarding their new console in the coming E3 event, to be held in LA in June.

[​IMG]

15. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

I have to admit, this thing looks pretty awesome.

16. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

I'm going to have to strongly disagree; generally speaking, I like my controllers to be shaped like a controller, not a gameboy. I imagine it'll be great for streaming games and the like, but it doesn't seem particularly comfortable.

If that is an actual picture of the final design, I will admit that I'm pretty impressed with the size of the screen. I'd expected something much smaller.

17. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yeah, they treated their developers like absolute shit, and their fees they charged for developing and releasing on their platforms have always been basically highway robbery. They've run off most with that, and then their super easy family/childish games wind up driving away a good chunk of 3rd party devs.

That said, I hope to god that they come back, reinvent themselves, and bring it. Just leave Mario game #172 at the warehouse this time, come up with some new stuff for fucks sake. The new controller looks uncomfortable as hell o_O

The cost of the hardware they're having to throw in there makes the console itself a giant money blackhole for most of it's life, that's why they switched up and are trying to extend the current gen for another 2-4 years. Be interesting to see how much longer it's going to take them to go to upgradeable parts, and then finally just make the things computers and be done with it.

Sega fucked up with it's constant adding on to the Genesis and tryign to require devs to support it's bullshit, expensive, barely working addons. They drove people away in droves. The Dreamcast however was a freaking goldmine that only failed because it was too advanced, too early, and people didn't know wtf to do with it. Developers weren't ready to make games for it, but the few that did come out were awesome.

18. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Amen brother.

19. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

You remember the devs talking shit on the few review magazines back then? Internet gaming??? Internet browsing??? Gimmicks, never take off.

20. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yes. Especially that last part. The controller could do with a more ergonomic design.