1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Protection From Nargles by Arpad Hrunta - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Pure Infinity, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

Title: Protection From Nargles
    Author: Arpad Hrunta
    Rating: T
    Genre: Romance
    Library Category: Romance
    Pairings: Harry/Luna, Ron/Lavender (Hinted at Neville/Ginny and Ron/Hermione)
    Summary: Harry and Luna meet in the Room of Requirement. Mistletoe appears. Will Nargles be a problem? Takes place in during Harry's fifth year, as he and Luna get closer. Basically pure fluff, largely consisting of conversations.
    Link: FanFiction.Net
    Sequel Link: FanFiction.Net

Randomly discovered this last night, ended up reading the entire thing in one sitting.

The first part is mostly fluff. It focuses pretty much entirely on Harry and Luna's developing relationship. The sequel (which hasn't been updated in a year) gives more attention to the butterfly effects that result from the relationship.

To clarify, when I say fluff, I mean full on, sugary sweet, guaranteed to give you a cavity WAFF. This is not a particularly complicated story. The sequel has some darker moments (this takes place during OotP, after all), but it's significantly less dark than the original story. It comes across as a bit of a fix-it fic at times.

While not the best romance I've read, it's one of the best fics I've read in a long while. Personally giving it a 4/5.

2. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Holy shit but that's a lot of exposition on the first chapter. I'm not rating yet until I read some more, but this bears mentioning, and it will be reflected in my score regardless.

3. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

People keep posting this thing on reddit in reference to good hp/luna fics. I'm not sure why, since it's not very good.

4. Stan

Stan Order Member

I couldn't read past chapter one. Everything about Luna (and this fic in general) feels forced.

5. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I read a few more chapters. This is ... not terrible. But not very good either. The author deliberately butchered his characterization of Ron and Hermione to provide some conflict, when there were other, better ways to achieve this.

The fic is just ... not that great. Not terrible, but nothing about it is particularly good.

2/5. I'd give 2.5 if I could, but can't give half a star.

6. najex

najex First Year

High Score:
    I considered posting this story myself. Before I lost confidence in my ability to recognise quality writing.

It's not amazing but I did finish it and I don't finish story's that I don't like.
    And it is the best Luna/Harry story that I know of.
    3/5

7. Blandge

Blandge Second Year DLP Supporter

The fact that this story is one of the best H/L fics is worth something.

Contemplating Clouds, The Quidditch World Cup or Tomorrowland are possibly the only better ones.

8. xobrandyxo123

xobrandyxo123 Squib

Yeah, I read the first story, and it was one of the better Luna/Harry fics, but then again, that's not saying much. I have no desire to read the sequel though. 3/5

9. Poly

Poly First Year

Not bad. Not especially good either, but one of the better ones for this particular pairing. 3/5