1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

PSA: Runic Alphabet on Google Docs

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I just discovered that you can use Norse Runes in Google Docs.

To use them, go to "Insert > Special Character" then select "Other European Scrips" and "Historic - Runic".

The great thing is that these runes will show up on FF.Net:

[​IMG]

2. lopeck

lopeck Groundskeeper

Shouldn't pretty much all of Unicode work on FF.Net?
    So Khmer (ឈ ញ ដ ឋ ឌ ឍ ណ ត), Ugaritic (), Cham (ꨐꨑꨒꨓꨔ) and the like should work to.

//Apparently DLP doesn't support all, but it does support Runic as well: ᛝᛞᛟ
    --- Post automerged ---
    Come to think of it, it's probably more my browsers fault than DLPs.

On a more useful note: Unicode has also Egyptian Hieroglyphsand Alchemical Symbols.

3. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I feel like including these into a fic would be as annoying as when people speak japanese in Naruto fics.

4. lopeck

lopeck Groundskeeper

Like with everything else it depends on the execution. I agree with you that throwing runes into a fic just because you can will probably make it far worse. But there are also instances where it could make the fic better.

If, for example, you have a mystery surrounding a bunch of runes or some hieroglyphs on a pyramid wall, it can be of benefit to directly show them to the reader. That way when characters later on get more information and start to figure things out, the reader can follow along more easily. It will also be easier for them to figure things out on their own before the answer is given within the text.

The other use I can come up with easily is a more meta one. A lot of fics use dashes, XxXxXxX, or the abbreviated title of the fic as act breaks. But if your fic already involves runes somehow using them as act breaks makes the whole thing look much cleaner.