1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Q1 2018 - Story Competition

Discussion in 'Q1 2018' started by Ched, Jan 19, 2018.

?

Which prompt should we use?

Poll closed Jan 23, 2018.
  1. Harry had a bad experience with a book that wrote back. The one that talked back was worse.

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  2. Harry returns from a Hogsmeade trip on a cold winter's day to find everything at Hogwarts changed.

14 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. "You're bleeding on my floor."

31 vote(s)
    63.3%
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

...aaaaand we're go! ((edits above the line))

Prompt: "You're bleeding on my floor."
    This is a FIRST LINE PROMPT. The first line of your story should be the above. Preferably the rest of your story will follow from that line and utilize the prompt as intended.

Send your stories to @Xiph0 once you've completed them.

One thing I was asked since making this original post is the question of whether or not crossovers are allowed. I'll go ahead and say 'yes' with two caveats - (1) keep in mind people might not be familiar with the fandom you crossover with and therefore may not vote for it, and (2) the rule might change to 'no crossovers' for the next competition after staff have had time to discuss it.

===== ===== =====
    We're going to try running this as more of a quarterly competition than a monthly one for various reasons. It's something I've pushed for, so if you don't like it feel free to blame me. I've heard at least one person would prefer bimonthly instead of quarterly, so feel free to give feedback on that.

Vote on a prompt! You have 4 days, and then that prompt will be the one for this competition. In the future I'll give you a week to vote, but I've been slacking getting this going.

Word limit: 17.5k max (this is official 'novelette' length - No minimum)
    Deadline: March 20th
    Voting: March 20th - 31st

Voting is going to be slightly different this time. And voting may continue to evolve as we stress test new ideas.

VOTING RULES:
    After you have read and reviewed ALL entries, post in this thread with your top three stories ranked.

Before posting with your top 3 stories for this competition you MUST have read and reviewed all entries using the following criteria:
    • 250+ words of review
    • Plot & Pacing (out of 5 points)
    • Characters (out of 5 points)
    • Prompt Use (out of 5 points)
    • Other (out of 5 points)
    So the total score now is out of 20 instead of 30... but here's the main thing. You don't have to rank your top 3 purely based on how you scored them. Your scores and review will help the author get better, but feel free to use your 'gut' to rank your Top 3. When you rank your top 3 go ahead and link to your reviews in the other threads so it's easy to verify.

Just keep in mind that if you rank your worst rated story as your #1 favorite we might ask you WTF - for the most part your ranking should reflect your scores. I know sometimes I'll review a story clinically and they'll both get, say, 4/5... but in reality I enjoyed one far more.

This may change prior to the contest starting. In particular I'm open to change the four categories (i.e. right now they're plot, characters, prompt, and other). Give me your thoughts.

Go forth and participate!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  2. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    With "You're bleeding on my floor." sitting in a nice lead, I'm feeling pretty pumped for my third concept. Here's hoping.

3. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    This may be a dumb question but once you participate, you can't vote/review the other stories anymore right? Seeing that one has to review all the stories and one can hardly review the story they wrote themselves, still, a bit of a pity.

Personally, I think I would prefer shorter competitions that happen more often. Mainly because if the prompt happens to be not to your liking, you don't have to wait for months until your next shot, it also increases the chances of more people reading and voting since the stories wouldn't be quite that long, especially seeing that one has to review all the stories that participated.

Then again, a longer piece with more time to work on it would increase the end quality of the stories, so matter of preference, really.

4. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

I'd agree with this interpretation.

As for length of tournaments, I'm fine with either bimonthly or quarterly. I've got no strong feelings on the matter. Bimonthly is nice for the added frequency, but I'm not sure they'd be called. Jan-Feb 2018?

5. Ched

Initial post updated! Ready, set, go!

Once we get a feel for how this is working we'll discuss bimonthly. I'm not worried about what to name them.

And remember! Use this thread for discussion as you please.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  6. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Nice. Good prompt - think I'll try my hand again, maintain my glorious crown, but also let's make this one a bit more collaborative. If anyone has any ideas for this prompt they'd like to bounce off me, please do so - I'll also take a look at drafts, as they develop. Let's make this a good one!

7. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    I was mistaken. Harry & Hagrid co-run Fight Club no longer sitting in the lead. Ninth concept developed tonight. Send halp.

EDIT: Now on another. Looking like this is becoming a regular anthology of bloody difficult options to choose from.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  8. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Brainstorming sesh. What weird and wonderful combinations of people come to mind for people when it comes to this opening?

Umbridge to Harry
    McGonagall to Dumbledore
    Snape to Sirius

9. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    Snape to Harry.
    Aberforth to Harry.
    Aunt Petunia to Harry(currently my leading horse out of everything in development).
    OC to Harry.
    Harry to Voldemort.
    Voldemort(/Death Eater) to (Death Eater/Order Member).

10. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Daphne to Harry for @vlad

11. Ched

Dobby to Harry. (AU!)

But srsly no legit ideas yet. It's finals week!

12. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Dumbledore to the Giant Squid. Dumbledore is preferably high when he says it. Or anyone, really, long as they're high when they say it to the Giant Squid. Just the idea conjures questions. Why is the speaker high? Why is the Squid somewhere where there's what is conventionally understood to be a floor? Why is it bleeding? Does the floor actually belong to the speaker, or is it figurative?

The possibilities!

(don't ask me to write it)

13. Ched

Bump! Well, I have an idea now. I said I wouldn't write it until I edited my draft of the previous competition (that I finished a few days too late), but maybe I will.

I'm curious to see how many entries play the line straight and how many twist it into an unexpected genre. I hope we get some of both.

14. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    Are we still submitting anonymously to Xiph0 btw?

15. Ched

Yes. He volunteered there.

16. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    Okay cool, thanks. I was just wondering because we seem to be discussing plot details more openly than the first round.

17. Ched

Howso? I haven't really seen anyone discussing anything that would "out" their story as theirs.

18. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

If there’s a story centered around the Giant Squid’s bloody floor I think we can all make a decent guess to its creator.

19. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

We can throw story ideas and plot-bunnies around. Anonymity doesn't mean you have to go totally radio silent for fear of letting slip a clue as to who you are. Sometimes its easily guessable just from the story content/style *coughjoe* so don't sweat about it to much.

20. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    So how has everyone been doing? I'm just sitting around with plots on my hands hitting my head against the wall to no avail. If I can't get this pulled together in time I'm not submitting something either a. unfinished or b. I'm not satisfied with, as I had last time.

Not open for further replies.