1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WINNER UP! Q3 2019 - Story Competition

Discussion in 'Q3 2019' started by Ched, Jun 30, 2019.

?

Pick your pois- Poll, I mean, topic?

Poll closed Jul 4, 2019.
  1. Ritual Magic

47.2%
  2. "Shh! I told you to be quiet! I'm certain I heard something."

5.7%
  3. Harry causes a war with another species.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. What the Professors get up to in the summers.

47.2%
  1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Congratulations to the winner - The Last Summer of Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore, 1996

Congratulations also to the runner-up, Moonlit Death

There's no "Winner's Circle" thread this time, since they don't seem to be super popular, so just use this thread for discussion of this competition! Story threads will be open until the newest poll closes, but otherwise keep it in here!

== == == == == == == ==

Welcome to the Q3 2019 Story Competition!

Topic(s): EITHER What the Professors get up to in the summers OR Ritual Magic!

Word count: 17.5k max (no minimum)
    Last competition had a fantastic turnout and I'm ready for more. This time we have two prompts from the previous winner, a prompt from the runner-up, and a prompt from the prompts thread to pick from. If you don't at least intend to write, don't vote!

[​IMG]
    Deadline: September 9th (Neptune at Opposition!) at midnight Eastern time (I think that's Xiph0's new time zone?) This means you get the entirety of the 9th to polish your story.

Voting: September 10th - 23rd (Equinox!)

Send your stories to @Xiph0 once you're done. Authors will be kept anonymous between the two of us, and I will not know who you are until after the competition has ended. Feel free to claim credit for your story if you want it but we'll keep it confidential otherwise.

Feel free to use beta-readers but don't put your competition entry in WbA until after voting has ended. If you figure out who one of the entrants is then don't tell everyone else.

Voting Rules
    • Read and review all entries, leaving at least 200 words of useful feedback.
      • Put the bulk of your review into a spoiler tag.
    • After you have read and reviewed ALL entries, post in this thread with your top three stories ranked.
      • Please link to your reviews when you do this.
    A guide on "how to review" in general is available here. We'd prefer that you not bias yourself by reading other reviews before making your own, but that choice is yours.

One of the rewards for authors participating in this competition is the feedback, critique, and overall useful commentary on their work. Don't dial it in. If you don't know how to leave useful feedback then comment on the plot, pacing, characters, prompt usage, and anything else that comes to mind. You'll find that 200 words flies by.

If you rank a story as #1 it will get 3 points, #2 will get 2 points, and #3 will get 1 point. Highest score wins. There will always be a winner. There may or may not be a runner up, depending on the number of entries and how close they are.

Note2: Got an idea for a future prompt? Put it in this thread!

Note3: I don't bite. If you have an issue with how the competition is run and whether or not it's unfairly biased in some way, PM me.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  2. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Professors, hands down. Of course I say that with absolutely zero concept for it, but of the four I can see the most potential there.

3. Ched

I have it set to display votes publicly but doesn't look like I can get it show everyone who voted by name?

4. Microwave

Microwave Professor

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  5. Ched

Adding it - is there a ... way to get it to display in my thread properly? I don't see a thing to insert code.

6. M.L.

M.L. Groundskeeper

I kind of want Ritual Magic, half because it's such an Indy Harry thing that I wonder whether it can be done well. On the other hand there are already quite a few really good ritual magic stories already. If I was going to do it, I feel like I would end up tending towards enchanting over something else, but I'm not sure that actually fits in the prompt.

7. Ched

My idea for the professor one is... Ugh. I want a happier idea, damnit.

Edit: Just been reading entries on all the faculty and staff at Hogwarts to try and get ideas and... Apparently Harry made a joke about Pince and Filch at one point so the fandom has them pegged as a couple? Who knew. O.O

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  8. Nexis

Nexis Third Year

High Score:
    Voted professors. I have an idea for it and I feel like it could make a good story. Hope this prompt wins, cause ritual magic isn't my cup of tea (at least when I'm writing). I also have an idea for the Harry causes war with another species (by idea I mean a complete crack fic), but it won't win anyway so it doesn't matter.

9. 9th Doctor

9th Doctor Groundskeeper

As much as the third one would be a great way to cross over with the Dresden Files, I’ve had a couple thoughts on how I’d like to try a ritual that follows the spirit of the Harry Potter books. I’ve had ideas for the past few prompts but didn’t have time to execute them.

10. Ched

Dude, you never know? Just not the happiest attitude there. Don't let it get you down.

Everyone starts somewhere and everyone can improve!

11. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

@Ched the yellow doesn't really show up on the Light Lord Potter theme in a readable way, just as a heads up.

12. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Use the black and white theme you fucking savage.

13. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Implying that you're not using the Right and Proper 'DLP' skin, like some sort of peasant.

14. Ched

Thanks - I typically pick colors assuming everyone uses the green DLP skin or else black and white.

I'll fix it shortly.

EDIT: I said I'd fix it but I lied. I was going to change the background color around the yellow font, to provide contrast regardless, but apparently that's not an option. I guess I could stop using fancy colors but *sadface*.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  15. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Honestly, I'm pretty surprised XenForo doesn't palette swap text colours with the theme change.

16. Nexis

Nexis Third Year

High Score:
    Hah, I meant that the prompt won't be chosen, but thank you.

By the way, if the two prompts are very close at the end of voting, is there any chance of another 2 prompt competition? Not gonna lie, I'm asking since I like the professors prompt and I'm scared of it losing.

17. Ched

Nah we're not doing another poll. It's the winner or a tie. People can change their votes.

But - like Azkaban - if there's a very popular second choice it will turn up on the poll again for a later competition.

18. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

It's strange, I was sure we would get a lot more Azkaban stories out of the last competition but it turned out to be 80% Daphne. Goes to show you can't tell what people will actually end up inspired by, even if the choice seems obvious.

19. Ched

That or we still have people voting who have no intention of writing.

20. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

I I'dthink that's a little restrictive. I'd rather people vote, intend to/want to write and then life gets in the way than be afraid to vote incase they get judged for not producing something and not engaging at all. Having 40 people interested in the competition is a good thing, even if they don't all produce an entry this time, they might next time, or they might read/review etc. So long as they plan to engage in a meaningful way I don't see why they should not be part of the process.

We might also need to think about what happens when the amount of stories we are asking people to review gets too much, we had 11 different stories this time, that's min 2200 words per person plus time to read. If we get 20 entries next time it might be putting a lot of pressure on people to get them all done in the timeframe.