1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Q4 2018 - Story Competition

Discussion in 'Q4 2018' started by Ched, Oct 9, 2018.

?

Pick a prompt for the DLP Q4 2018 competition!

Poll closed Oct 14, 2018.
  1. Romance!

30 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Armageddon!

18 vote(s)
    22.5%
  3. Azkaban!

24 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. Subvert a scene from canon!

8 vote(s)
    10.0%
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

And the prompt for Q4 2018 is that green-eyed chest monster... ROMANCE!

~ - ~ -~ - ~ -~ - ~ -~ - ~ -~ - ~ - ~
    Welcome to the FOURTH QUARTER COMPETITION! I looked up an 'inspirational' football quote just for you all. Here you are:

“You hear about how many fourth quarter comebacks that a guy has and I think it means a guy screwed up in the first three quarters.” ~Peyton Manning

That means that all of you guys who haven't submitted a story yet? You screwed up in the first three quarters. Now it's time for a comeback. And yes, I see the irony - I've tried to write all three damn times and still haven't managed it.

Bonus Event! This competition includes the month of November! Are you that author that always wants to do NaNoWriMo but screws around and doesn't because holy shit 50k is a lot of words? Write a short story instead! I hear there's a damn convenient competition for that over on DLP (hint: it's this one).

Word limit: 17.5k max (no minimum)
    Deadline: December 18th
    Voting: December 18th - 30th

Send your stories to @Xiph0 once you're done. Authors will be kept anonymous between the two of us, and I will not know who you are until after the competition has ended.

Polish your story up before you send it if you have time. Don't put it in WbA (obviously) but feel free to find a beta who will keep quiet. Sometimes people might guess which story is yours. That's okay - just don't advertise. And if you're the one that figures out who one of the authors is? Keep your mouth shut and avoid biasing others.

Crossovers are allowed, however... (1) keep in mind people might not be familiar with the fandom you crossover with and therefore may not vote for it, and (2) the rule might change to 'no crossovers' for the next competition.

Voting Rules:
    After you have read and reviewed ALL entries, post in this thread with your top three stories ranked. Preferably with links to your reviews. The only true requirement here is that you leave at least 200 words of useful review per story in order to vote.

I understand the linking can be obnoxious so just... it's not the honor system, b/c if you abuse it I will come down on you like a ton of bricks, but just... review, people. Play by the (simple) rules.

A guide on "how to review" in general is available here. Do NOT assume that just because someone else has already said something that you can't say it too. You can. And don't be scared to have a different viewpoint from everyone else as well.

One of the rewards for authors participating in this competition is the feedback, critique, and overall useful commentary on their work. Don't dial it in. If you don't know how to leave useful feedback then comment on the plot, pacing, characters, prompt usage, and anything else that comes to mind. You'll find that 200 words flies by.

If you rank a story as #1 it will get 3 points, #2 will get 2 points, and #3 will get 1 point. Highest score wins. There will always be a winner. There may or may not be a runner up, depending on the number of entries and how close they are.

Have fun! And don't forget to utilize this thread for discussion regarding this competition, ideas on the prompts, or just general encouragement. The poll closes 5 days from the start of this thread.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  2. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

If I write a story about Star-crossed lovers, one in Azkaban, one roaming the wastelands of London,is that considered cheating? :thinking:

3. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I was thinking that combining Romance and Azkaban might lead us down some dangerous roads.

4. Halt

It can't be worse than writing a dementor queen / hp fic

5. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Not going to vote on a topic again until I actually participate in one of these. Any of these are decent enough topics that I could see producing good entries.

If I do participate, it'll be anonymously (because of employer IP issues I won't go into here).

6. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I hope to see an entry from you soonish. Anonymity withstanding. Sucks about your IP issues, but you remember my fix for that. Just write some Ishtar level shit. ;)

7. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

I had some good ideas for Azkaban idea last time but ultimately went with Vampires. I don't know if it's just the passage of time, but the venture seems less attractive to me this prompt around.

Armageddon is such a pleasantly broad term - it could be anything from zombie plague to rapture, and run from Shaun of the dead to The Road in terms of tone, that I suspect it may be more fertile ground for ideas over the next month.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  8. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

I can imagine it clearly. Harry and Bellatrix are imprisoned together on the last day of the world. They decide to put aside their differences for one last hatefuck as the prison collapses around them. Whoever finishes first gets strangled by the other. Sounds like a DLP fic waiting on an author.

I'd really like to see what everyone here can do with a romance, but I'm guessing that prompt will be too fluffy for a lot of people.

9. Ched

10. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Zen reflects on Antho#3

Eh, I'm down with trying Romance. Also still got some Azkaban stuff I was idly playing around with last voting period if that prompt wins this round, though of the three, I think I'd rather see what comes of Armageddon.

11. Zombie

I got a ideas for all of them so I'm pretty pumped.

12. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

That's a great little fic, Ched. It reminds me of 'Cauterize.'

I think I'm going to vote for Romance just to see what everyone comes up with. I suppose a romance could happen in just about any context between any characters. Hagrid/McGonagall is against the rules though.

13. Halt

You sweet summer child

14. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm thinking of perhaps not voting so I don't have to concern myself with being disappointed with the results... but I plan to write something regardless if time permits. The whole "subvert" thing is a bit too... well I feel like it's been done, but I dunno.

15. Zombie

Disappointed in what? The vote winner?

16. Ched

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  17. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Please don't destroy my illusions, Halt. I live in a dream world where no one's even considered writing Harry/Snape or Hagrid/Aragog.

EDIT: Nvm, my illusions were just shattered by Ched's romance rec. There's no coming back from that.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  18. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The results of the last competition prompt itself, not the winner. I don't really "get" vampires, so I wasn't so enthused about it. I did my best in reviewing them all though, but I had the feeling I was missing something.

19. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

I swear if you guys go with romance after I have verbally committed to writing for this competition, I will write The Office Part II and blame it on the Millwall guy. :p

20. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Azkaban or riot.

Not open for further replies.