1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Quality Dresden material.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by H_A_Greene, Jan 27, 2010.

1. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    To be frank, Dark Lord Potter and perhaps The Archive are the only two websites I trust to have quality Dresden Fics.

However, the list of material is shorter than any of us would prefer. Where, if at all, do you go for more of the same or similar quality Dresden fiction?

2. Big D on a Diet

Big D on a Diet Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I have no idea. Every time I've looked for DF fics, I've been disappointed.

I think I glanced at the Archive once, and ran away the moment I saw "Harry/Marcone".

3. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Not counting crossovers, I don't think I have read more than 5 DF fics. They were all excellent, though.

If anyone has a list of >decent fics, I'd love to see it.

4. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ^This

I went there once or twice and in both visits I think I saw mebbe three non-slash fics. I'm fairly sure I even saw Harry/Micheal which just had me going WTF?

In short I've never seen anything worth reading on the Archive, any and all quality Dresden fanfiction I've ever seen has come from DLP.

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Ah ha, found it. Child's Play by AWanderingMinstrel

Can I strongly recommend this? No, not really. But if we had an "Almost recommended" thread for Dresden I might stick it there. Hell, maybe we do have one and I just haven't run across it.

Anyway, like you guys I wandered into The Archive a good while ago and looked around for stories. A lot of them were bad and far too many of them were slash.

In addition to being both badly written and full of slash, a very large percentage of the stories over there are based off of the TV-series instead of the books. That doesn't really appeal to me all that much.

However the story I linked above, Child's Play, was one that stood out in my mind as being decent. Maybe not good, but at least not a POS. I might give it a 2.5/5 based solely on my recollection of it.

I did not re-read the story before posting just now. I read it before reading all of the awesome Dresden Files fics on DLP, so it's possible that my recollection of the story is biased towards it being better than it actually is.

It is based on the TV series, not the books, so there are some differences. Murphy's name is Connie instead of Karrin (or something), Harry lives in ... not a basement, he carries a Hockey Stick instead of a Staff, Bob is somewhat different, etc.

I didn't like the TV show much to be honest. I only watched about 3-4 episodes of it though. I think the entire thing is free on Hulu.

And that's the only story I can remember finishing over at The Archive.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  6. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Most of the DF fics on the internet are based on the TV show. I'm pretty sure the Dresden Files section on FF.net is under 'tv'.

I read the books before I saw the show and for that I'm thankful. The show was awful.

7. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

The TV show frustrates me - not because it was bad (and let's be honest - it wasn't mind-blowing) but because it was so different from the books. I understand taking a few liberties for the sake of budget or convenience for shooting, but why change character's names?

FF.net does have a few, but as was said, many of them are based on the show, and as such I can't read them. Many more are simply not well-written. Most of the rest are too short to be satisfying. That said, if all you want is a little one-chapter slice of life that is well done, you can find a few there.

But if you're looking for well-written, book-based, good-length work, you'll have to stay here.

8. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There is a valid reason for changing Murphy's name, and that happens to be because there is a Karrin Murphy working in the Chicago PD and they didn't want to risk a lawsuit because of it.

9. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Also Jim Butcher himself came out and said he knew how different it was and he approved it, I mean if you actually did listen they came up with fairly decent explanations for a lot of the stuff they changed such as what Aek mentioned.

10. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, they have no fucking excuse for how shit that show was. :p

11. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

12. Ched

Yeah, the show was reasonably bad in my opinion. Some of the changes are understandable, and I think that the changes to Bob were probably a good idea just to give someone to play off Harry, but most of it just irritated me.

Even if I hadn't read the books ahead of time I probably wouldn't have been able to get into it all that much.

13. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I suppose my opinion of the Archive was higher rated than it deserved. At the least a few stories are above the majority found at, say, fanfiction.net.

The biggest problem I have right now with DLP's Dresden Fiction is the number of crossovers with Harry Potter. There simply isn't enough straight-up Dresden, which is another reason I posted this topic :/

That said, thank you CheddarTrek and Ryuugi Shi for coming up with something browse-able. With some luck more work will turn up somewhere that doesn't fall into the same category of crap most of the stories do.

14. Innomine

High Score:
    I honestly consider the Dresdenverse to be far harder to write than say the HP universe. It's too... linear, not enough room for experimentation. One simple change, would change EVERYTHING in the books, and unless you plan to start somewhere, and then go somewhere completely new and unfounded, you wouldn't be able to write anything that good.

15. lucis

lucis Seventh Year

I think Ellisande is right: DF is harder to write than HP. Which makes it hard to get my Dresden fix. But it's not impossible.

There's a few stories on FFN that show some promise. In particular, the one shot, The Outside, Looking In is short but seems to be pretty true to the DF characters. The author, Brownish, has started a longer work, Complications (somewhat similar to Standing in the Summer Breeze). They're both ``almost recomendable.''

And of course, LittleChicago just posted on FFN, which is awesome.

16. LittleChicago

Dude, you really know how to warm a guy's cockles, if you know what I mean.

17. lucis

lucis Seventh Year

Sorry, I don't. If it's some sort of slang for insulted, I wasn't including you in the `almost recommendable' part; your stories rock!

18. Innomine

High Score:
    Right, I like this author. Good one shots.

Is that you LC? If so, why aren't half your other fics up there as well?

19. LittleChicago

<snickers>

No, all of my work is posted here, under the same name. "Warm the cockles of your heart" is an old expression meaning "make you feel good."

In other words, thank you.

I haven't read Brownish's stuff... I'll give it a go.

...And now I have. Damn, I'm going to go out on a limb and say I wish Brownish would step forward. Quality stuff, characters are true, grammar is correct, stories are enjoyable and make you want to read more. Top Drawer.

... and now I want a Snickers. Goddammit.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  20. Ched

That one-shot is awesome.

The first two chapters of the longer story are good and well-written, but reading Female!Harry isn't really my thing, even if it is done well and in a believable manner (Corpsetaker). I'm going to follow it anyway though.