1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Question about RAID and Windows Disk Management

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Joe's Nemesis, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    In my current set up, I have a SSD as Drive C: and four 1T drives in a RAID 5 configuration (setup through the BIOS). I would like to use windows disk managment to partition the RAID 5 so that I can use part of it as the windows daily backup/image backup.

Has anyone tried it? Technically, I figure it should work as windows reads it as one drive, so it should partition across all four drives. But I don't know what to expect in the real world.

Anyone attempt it?

2. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

As a work function, absolutely. Once a RAID is established, all data written is striped (&/or mirrored for RAID 1 & 10) and is treated by the OS as 1 physical disk.

That said, the partition is only helping you to organize. All partitions will still share the RAID controller's spindle work equally.

3. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Ahh, that's kind of how I was thinking, but couldn't wrap my brain that clearly around it and didn't want to screw it up after taking the time to get everything situated. Thanks.