1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

Culinary Quick and Healthy

Discussion in 'The Burrow' started by Menace, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Menace

Menace Minister of Magic

So I'm a student in college that works two, sometimes three jobs, and I live alone. I know how to cook in that I can make food if I know what I'm making ahead of time, but don't have the ability to improvise with spices and such. There's no excuse for eating fast food more than home cooking, but it's sure as hell easier in my experience.

I'd like to stock up on groceries and start making my own meals. What are some quick and healthy dishes that you've all picked up on over the years?

2. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
  3. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Death Eater

Whether it's expensive or not I can't say, since prices are likely different here in Germany.

In any case, I'll share two of the quick-and-easy fixes that have helped me so far through university.

Chicken thigh with vegetables. Salt, pepper, some rosmary for the meat. In terms of vegetables, zucchini is basically my go-to option. Add in some bell peppers and green onions, and you're set. You can vary this with mushrooms and tomatos, or a bunch of other vegetables. Get creative. I sometimes leave the thigh as is and prepare it in a seperate pan. Or I cut it in stripes, fry it first, then put it away until I've got all the vegetables fried as well before adding it in again.

Zucchini-Thuna-Mozzarella. What it says on the tin. Fry onions and add in zucchini. Once they're done, add in a can of thuna and mix it around. Salt, pepper. Then I put in some cream cheese (about 50g), stir it, and add in about 150g of cubed Mozzarella. Stir, let it melt a bit, then sprinkle some citrus juice over it for acidity, taste, and serve.

4. Zombie

High Score:
    Sounds like upscale tuna casserole.

5. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Death Eater

The benefit of that tuna-zucchini recipe is that I need only a single pan, no oven, and can put in ingredients on after another, which results in about 20 minutes of cooking time tops.

Casserole always sounds like higher time investment and more work to my scrub ears. (If you're not using a mega casserole dish to make food for the whole week - then I guess casserole saves time.)

6. Banta

Banta The Chosen One DLP Supporter

7. Zombie

High Score:
    So dump and bake. These are nifty recipes. I'll have to dig through my books to see what other I can find.

8. Sirian

Sirian First Year

Vegetables, steamed, possibly in butter.

Takes about half an hour to make.

Slice vegetables according to taste.

One of my basic ones is using Vaxbeans, Cauliflower, Broccoli and Carrots. They (with the exception of the Broccoli) keep well. Onions or potatoes (or other starchy vegetables) are not suited for this.

Heat a frying pan and then put some fat (I prefer butter) in the pan. If you want some meat you fry it (and spice it) at this stage and then lift it out of the pan.

I generally buy a large piece of meat, clean it, slice it into stir-fry size, and then freeze it in suitable cooking portions, which I take out of the freezer in the morning to thaw.

Add spices such as; garlic, pepper, etc., to the fat according to taste and let them cook for a minute or two. Put in the vegetables, put a pot-lid on top and let them cook in their steam (hence the "steamed"). They cook very quickly, try them until you think that they are done.

Add the eventual meat, stir, season according to taste. Serve with rice or pasta.

9. why?

why? First Year

High Score:
    Get some minced garlic and ginger (and/or other spices you like) in some oil. Pan or wok. You may want to fry some onions first.

Then, any veggies you have can go in. Broccoli, peppers, cauliflower, courgette, mushrooms, leafy greens, etc. Some things will cook a lot faster (kale, spinach) than others, so be mindful of that. If you want a bit of sauce, add tomato sauce. Gennaro Contaldo has a nice recipe.

Crack in a few eggs on top, and let em "poach". Or scramble. Maybe great some cheese, or add some soy sauce. Nuts go in nicely too. So does a tin of sardines. Oh and bacon. Or bacon-wrapped sausages.

Eat as is, with bread, or rice.

10. Zombie

High Score:
    Anchovies are great for strong meat flavor. I like making an anchovy toast, which ground up anchovy on the top with some oil, onion, and some nice crusty bread. Kinda like a dip.

11. Hawkin

Hawkin Minister of Magic

For an easy and filling breakfast I do 1/2 avocado + bread + cheese slice + 1 white/whole egg.

Two of these in the morning, with some mixed nuts between that and lunch, and I'm never hungry!

12. Zombie

High Score:
    Building on that. Rustic Bread sliced, top with garlic rubbed into the bread, slice roasted tomato, thin slices avocado. Makes avocado toast. About the only way I eat avocado in fact.

13. Hawkin

Hawkin Minister of Magic

Except for the roasted tomato bit (I just eat them raw), I make something very similar too. I also like to add pepper to it.

14. Zombie

High Score:
    Made tuna wraps today for lunch, wanted something fishy, but didn't have any good cuts of fish, so made some tuna salad from some shit from a can.

Fresh whole wheat tortillas, made them this morning, lettuce leaf, the tuna salad (with yogurt instead of mayo, minus pickles you fucking savages) slices of onion, cucumber, and bell pepper. Salt and pepper to taste.

Was pretty fucking great.

Made a dipping sauce out of some more yogurt and a bit of garlic oil and green chili. Ten minutes tops to make if you have everything on hand.

15. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Steam in the bag cauliflower rice is my Healthyfood bff. Usually 100 cals for a 1lb steamer bag. And you can use it as a substitue for pretty much anything that requires rice, pasta, or a savory dough / crust.

Takes 5 to 6 minutes to microwave (short by 25 seconds for al dente). Dump the whole bag on a plate. Pat it dry with a folded up paper towel to squeeze out all the moisture. And voila. Good to go. If you have a hipster grocery store like whole foods, trader joes, or wegmens, you may be able to find it fresh AND pre-riced so all you have to do is steam.

Curries and aromatic stirfrys are my go to toppings, and cauliflower parmesan crust is an excellent pepperoni/cheese/pizzatops delivery mechanism.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017