1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Quick question

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Aensland, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Aensland

Aensland Third Year

I've been thinking about revisiting a HP fic I had devoted a lot of time to a few years ago. I dropped it due to OotP killing a lot of my interest in the series and the fandom as well, and HBP didn't help matters any (I may own a copy, but I have yet to read a page of it -.-).

Anyway, back to the point, I was thinking I should post it here, so I can get some decent feedback instead of the 'Oooh! Great!' drivel that most FF.net reviewers leave. I've caught a few grammar errors, but I'm more interested in what people think of the plot itself, and if they spot any cliches that have snuck in under my radar.

So my actual (not-so-quick) question is that, I'm not exactly sure if I should post it in the works by authors, or the For review section? The former seems to be for single chapter posts, and teasers, while the latter seems to be for FF.net links.

2. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Personally, I don't think DLP is the perfect place for posting novel-length stories - it just don't have proper facilities for storing larger ammounts of words (10,000+), nor for formating them in proper maner (no easy way to keep italics and bolds).

Maybe the best solution would be to post it someplace else (Yahoo!group?) and then post a link here (in FOR REVIEW section). Of course, you could copy & paste the entire fic in consequent posts in WORK BY AUTHOR section, but that may take some time.

3. Aensland

Aensland Third Year

Whoops, I must apologize. I have an FF.net account where the story is still up. I should have made that clear. So if I'm reading that right, it would be best to post a link to the ff.net version in the For Review section, yes?

4. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

Yeah, that's what you should do. Can you give us, from your perspective as the author of the story, a summary/detailed plot explanation as well? It'd be interesting to see it, and I'll confess that I'm not one for going into a novel-length fic without a decent idea of what the fic is about.

5. Aensland

Aensland Third Year

Sure Yarrgh! Well as best I remember it, at least. I lost a chunk of my notes when my laptop was destroyed, but I remember the important stuff.

Harry, through his ancestors on his mother's side (cliche'ish but its not being a heir to some wizarding family), has trace amounts of dragon blood flowing through him. As he is effectively the last of his breed (the full dragons were hunted to extinction because their hides were thought to be the best for leatherworking) he is taken in by a nomadic clan of partial-dragons. In such a setting rituals were able to be done in hopes of strengthening his blood ever so slightly (He has no wings or anything like that, just enough so the clan could legally keep him).

His intergration into wizarding society is where the fun would really begin, as he gets to see first hand the racism the magical folk spit at themselves, let alone other species. His struggles to balance the two parts of himself will be a big part if I can pull it off right.

Also, obviously Harry will have a different out-look on society, and definitely a different set of morals.
    E.g. He will be killing Ginny first off in the Chamber scene in hopes of cutting Riddles connection to the real world. I'm also looking forward to writing out some... conflicts with the toad woman *malicious grin*

Everything won't be peachy on the clan front either, because some of the elders aren't 100% for Harry being with them, but the major conflict will be with the wizarding world.

Oh, and as Harry is stronger, I have appropriately made Voldemort stronger as well.

One last thing before I forget, I have hinted at it already, but no one seems to have picked up on it, but Harry will be fighting an addiction to magic as well, for reasons that I won't go into, even under a spoiler tag.

Edit: Sad to say its not novel length yet, I have it planed out like I do the novel I'm working on, but at the moment, only slightly over 15k of words have been posted I think.

2nd edit: I have put it up in the For Review section. So if that interests anyone, please check it out. It's called 'Ancient Blood: Mortal Flesh'

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  6. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    Wow, that sounds really interesting if written very well. With even an average author though there are just too many traps to fall into so I hope you have what it takes to pull it off ;)

7. Aensland

Aensland Third Year

I hope I do, too. I began this project in 2003, I've had three years to evolve as a writer and hopefully, I've improved as well. I've never thought of myself as more than an average writer, with maybe a few good ideas, but I'm hoping with some probing from people here, I can drive myself to becoming a damn good writer.