1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Random files on destkop

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Moloch, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Moloch

Moloch Groundskeeper

Right, when I switched on my PC today, I found dozens of extra RAR files on my desktop.

They're all named like JUN2007_XACT_x86; and I have no idea what they are. Any ideas?

Also, for some reason my Spyware Doctor had all its Guards switched off when I turned off as well. Any chance an outsider program would do this?

EDIT: Sif can't edit title names.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Google says that those rars are the names of chunks of DirectX. Installed anything lately? There's some really badly-coded installers out there that turn off virus scanners and whatnot so they can install in piece and don't turn them back on, and a shitty installer like that could have fucked up and installed a DirectX update directly to your desktop instead of the correct path.

That said, it's incredibly more likely that you've been infected with something. Update your scanners and run a deep scan.

3. Moloch

Moloch Groundskeeper

Any suggestions? All I run is Spyware Doctor and that usually comes up with the standard trustyhound etc.

I used to run Avast, but it didn't play nice with Spyware Doctor.

4. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Spyware Doctor fights spyware. Far as I can tell it doesn't do shit to viruses. Pick any. Kaspersky if you like Russia, AVG if you like Germany, Avast if you like the Czech Republic. If your dinky little spyware guard doesn't like it, shut it down. No idea how the fuck you somehow decided that in a conflict between a virus scanner and a spyware scanner, the latter was the more important one to keep.

5. Moloch

Moloch Groundskeeper

When its got its own AntiVirus engine, yeah I thought Spyware Doctor would be more then sufficient. Guess not.