1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Ranma fics

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Agayek, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I've recently been on something of a Ranma 1/2 kick, started by reading The Key to a Successful Interview, and I'm hoping to find some more good ones in the fandom. Preferably without the extreme character bashing that is so rampant.

I seem to be enjoying crossovers more than pure Ranma fics as well for some odd reason, so those would be appreciated.

2. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

I don't delve into the Ranma fandom much, but there is one crossover that I like: Big Human on Campus is a Ranma/Rosario Vampire Crossover taking place in the RV-verse with Ranma alongside (instead of replacing) Tsukune. It's chock-full of humor, action and a bunch of cameos and OCs that just work.

As a side note, the author has a total of 16 fics published, all taking place to one degree or another in the Ranma-verse. If BHoC is to your liking, check those out (didn't appeal to me, too much chaos, but you could give them a shot).

3. Jarsha

Jarsha Seventh Year

"Waters Under Earth" by Alan Harnum. http://www.thekeep.org/~harnums/fanfic/ranma/waters/index.html Fantasy/cross Finished.

"Hearts of Ice" by Krista Perry http://www.akane.org/heartsofice/ Romance/Supernatural Finished. Believe it or not!

"Ill Met by Starlight" Co-written by Susan Doenime and Mike L. -One of my favorites- Its classified as Dark. Finished

http://www.thekeep.org/~mike/transp.html An archive for some pretty good Ranma fics. A few Utena mixed in there as well if I remember correctly.

Annd "The Shadow Chronicles" by Mark MacKinnion http://www.shadowchronicles.net/
    I cant recommend this one enough.

All I can think of without putting in effort.

4. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Awesome thanks guys, that'll keep me busy for a couple days at least.

5. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

I've seen this one touted and recommended many times, but for some reason have never been able to bring myself to start reading it. A reminder, if you would. The entirety is supposed to be within the 'Shadow Chronicles' continuity, is it not? So, must one read the earlier stories in order to make "On a Clear Day You Can See Forever" worth reading? That story is the one I've heard more about that any of the others.

6. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

History's Most Chaotic Disciple is a crossover with HSDK. A decent read, though it has quite a few cliches.

The Dark Lords series is one of my favorites, especially the first one. Fuckin' gold.

Haigeki Dark as a vampire's pubes, but it's got just the right amount of glimmers of hope to keep you from killing yourself while you read. Don't read this if you're looking for a happy ending because you probably won't get one. That said, it's hella good.

I only have a few more, but those are guilty-pleasure reads and most of them have some form of Akane bashing. Hell, I still haven't even read the actual manga or seen the anime.

(Though if you did want to read one of my guilty pleasure Ranma fics, Another Rainy Day in Nerima is my favorite.)

7. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

I just read Haigeki over the past two days. Quite interesting, even if several times you almost get the impression as if the story ticked the "Bad End" button.

8. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

I remembered another story. Forcibly United by Gaming Ikari is a Ranma/Black Lagoon crossover where Ranma and Ryouga get bound together by magical bracers that don't allow them to be too far away from each other. Searching for a solution, they travel to Roanapur to undo the curse, only to find out they need money. A lot of it. They have to take jobs, using their near-superhuman martial arts to make the money they need.

9. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

If you're looking for Ranma fics and authors, then the Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction Wiki is a valuable resource. It's mostly the work of one person, but it's a great way to track down other fics by the same author and find the latest links to the stories.

When reading Ranma fanfiction it's important to remember that the community preceded fanfiction.net, which was looked down upon as being full of the dregs and no decent feedback. Fanfics were posted on usenet [rec.arts.anime.creative, aka r.a.a.c], mailing lists [eg. Fanfiction Mailing List, aka FFML], personal websites, forums [eg. Kwok's] and even photocopied zines at anime clubs. These all provided certain technical and/or social barriers to getting fics out to the public, and in many cases strongly encouraged constructive criticism from readers, so when ff.net came along and made it too too easy to publish garbage and didn't have a culture of providing good feedback to authors, the Ranma fandom shunned it. The existing authors preferred their personal methods of distributing works, and the readers had little to no reason to go to ff.net at the time.

So, when you go looking for Ranma fanfiction, remember that the bulk of it, including the good stuff, isn't necessarily on fanfiction.net. I know that the FFML and RAAC had giant compressed archives of their fics available, but I don't know if they still exist.

Some of the old Ranma authors and community still exist. I think Rin hangs out with them if you're interested.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  10. Jarsha

Jarsha Seventh Year

Technically, you only 'need' to read "Cast a Long Shadow" to understand the beginning of "Clear Day"; the rest do fit into the universe and are worth reading if you're interested though.

Zen was a pretty good author from what I remember, http://durandall.com/brian/archives/zen/index.htm

Florensica hosts some decent stuff, http://florestica.com/dbsommer/index.htm D.B. Sommer is a pretty good author as well.

__

I second "The Dark Lords of Nerima" it's freaking hilarious.

Just remembered that the condensed Ranma archive is still around, I see if I can find a working link.
    edit: Found it. http://rakhal.com/dpr/

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  11. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

12. kalespr

kalespr Fourth Year

Along the lines of Ranmachan fics... http://rankoficts.99k.org ... has a considerable majority of them, and a fair few only available in specific archives. It also has a listing for Split-In-Two stories, and more androgynous stories wherein the curse plays a major/central role.

http://www.bookmice.net/darkchilde/ranko/ranfict.html :: is another ranma-chan ficlist, which a handful of entries/archives not present in the other site.

Both have fairly complete synopses of the stories offered, that can allow you to easily decide whether or not to invest the time in reading/trying the story, however, this does come at the cost of spoilers.

Checking my favourites list, I was surprised by how few I've actually favourited over the years, thought part of that is as previously stated much of the fandom pre-dates FF.net (or was consciously not-uploaded-to).

A non-fuku-fic SM/Ranma Romance cross:

I would second Ozzallos, as one of my favourite authors in the fandom. As far as char bashing... Ozzallos can go both ways. There are fics with a fair bit, and others where it's non-existant. I've never felt he/she was particularly excessive with it though, outside of parody.

Another author, of whom I enjoy pretty much all their stories, is Calamity Cordite. All his/her stories are crossovers (and some of the best examples thereof, at that). Unfortunately his/her Sailor Moon cross was taken down at the behest of the Original Author (adopted fic); a real shame as it was excellent. The title is "Transcending Time" and is a Pluto/Ranma ship, if you wish to mine the internets for it anyway.

Weebee has a handful of crosses I remember enjoying; in particular Contrast Match that he/she has since abandoned and passed on to Shinokaze.

13. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

Decided to snoop around some of the links given here. I found this.

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

14. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I believe I have a copy of Transcending Time saved on the harddrive of my old laptop. If anyone wants the story, PM me and I'll send it. Although a word of warning, 3/4 of the story was written by someone else, so it was by far my least favorite of Calamity Cordite's stories.

I suppose I'll toss in a rec of my own into this thread. Lost Star's Ranma xovers are pretty awesome. There is a complete Ranma/xxx-holic story, along with an in progress Ranma/MLGN story. If you enjoy reading Ranma, both are worth a look at.

15. Syithe

Syithe Muggle

Need Ranma fanfiction? I can help.

It's the Shinobi Life for Us by Davros
    Naruto/Ranma Crossover - Pulls in Mousse, Ryoga, and Ranma and has them deal with the Naruto-verse. There's some inital ROFL-stomping, but they're clearly out of their league when it comes to Orochimaru and the like.

Nexus II by Black Dragon
    Very AU and Ranma-centric but a great D&D style read. Nice balance of humor and action

Journey by Druth
    One of my favorite Ranma-fics. Initally starts out Ranma-centric, but moves to incorporate most of the other core characters. Some higher level gods (and devils) decide to use Ranma's low status (mortal) and moderate power level to help thwart an existence destroying scheme. Ranma is, for the most part, unaware and unconcerned with the details and does his thing. Again, a good balance of humor and action. World hopping involved so you get to see your standard fantasy settings as well as some more futuristic societies.

Those are my best suggestions and should keep.. well anybody busy for a long time. If you have some more specific requests (character pairings, drama, want of a nail, etc) I can suggest a few more, but otherwise I'd say the links people have provided to archives should serve you pretty well.

16. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The_Titans_and_the_Lost_Boy and its sequel Dark_Titans by Lathis are among my favorites. Both are Ranma and Teen Titans crossovers and it manages to keep the tone of both series amazingly well. Love them.

17. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I could never get into those beyond the first chapter due to the fact that it was a Ryouga-centric story. I feel that he makes for a great supporting character, but fails as the lead.

18. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Never had that problem but then again, Ryouga is my favorite character from the show. Besides, the Teen Titans and the HIVE members get as much screentime later on.

So, plenty of people to follow in that story, you should really give this a shot.