1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice

Real Life Peggy Sue: What would you do?

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Taure, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Taure

Taure Magical Core Enthusiast Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    We all know the fanfic plot: Harry wakes up in his younger body, with all his knowledge of the future intact. It's a powerful idea.

What if this happened to you in real life?

I admit I've spent a silly amount of time thinking about this fact lol. It's one of my favourite things to think about while I'm running.

So:

1. What times in your life do you think are the "points of divergence"?
    2. What would you do differently?
    3. What would you do the same?

Obviously answers to 2 and 3 will be different depending on different points of divergence, creating all sorts of different scenarios to think up.

I often find it's most entertaining to go for points of divergence that aren't too long ago, so you still have certain limitations. Obviously if you go all the way back to infancy you could change whatever you liked.

P.S. Let's try to keep angst to a minimum.

2. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Since I'd arrive before the internet really started kicking, I'd probably just take advantage of it by building my own "Facebook" with PHP or something. Then I'd probably get a prototype of Youtube started. And maybe twitter.

Then I'd be the richest 12 yo or something, hailed as a genius of social networking, or something equally asinine.

I'd have to convince my parents to purchase internet access early on though. And I'd probably have trouble explaining things... But I think things would rapidly diverge so much I couldn't do anything the same, even if I wanted to.

I certainly wouldn't go to the same schools that I did, growing up. Anything is better than repeating all of that again. I don't believe stories where people go back to the same high school and see the same friends -- how boring. If you could redo your early adolescence, the last thing you'd want to do is sit in the same classes again and endure the same personalities.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  3. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Totally Sirius

Go back to the age of 11, then?

I don't know, really. I suppose I'd try to make the best of it. Work a little harder in school when I needed to, not let things end so badly with my primary school mates. Maybe take up French and then Spanish seriously when those classes came up. Try to plant a seed or two in my dad's head about how he should proceed in certain business ventures going forward... Just try and be a normal kid until time comes around again to where I am now.

Was Bin Ladin in Abottobad by 2004?

4. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well I have a few relatives that passed away that some future knowledge might help. That'd mean going back to like age eight, at the earliest, which would certainly be an adventure. I'd probably also try not to fuck up so much in school and do some early personal improvement of some kind. Maybe give soccer or baseball another try, but not basketball.

I'd be wary of trying to change international politics or anything like that, since that could easily make things worse somehow, but I don't know if I could just stand by either.

Uh, might try to get rich, as long as it's not at anyone's expense. Not super-crazy rich, just "rich enough."

Actually, if I could, I'd do the opposite of Chime and try to prevent the creation of Facebook and this vapid social networking bullshit.

5. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Age 11? I'd try to stop 9/11 and to profit from the financial collapse. Just stopping 9/11 would invalidate the majority of my future knowledge so from there I'd just try to enjoy life.

6. Celestin

Celestin Half-Blood Prince

Right. It's a topic I spend too much time wondering about considering how impossible it is.

Generally speaking, my current take on it is that I'm not sure I would want to go back because of how quickly our world is changing right now. Waiting for it to catch up wouldn't be that fun.

Being a hyper-intelligent child and even just a laid-back teenager could be fun if you could do it for some time and then skip to the current time, checking the consequences of your actions.

But if I were to decided on one point, I would probably go back to when I was finishing high-school and choose a different University and degree. And /angst on/ ask one girl out /angst off/. ;)

7. EkulTeabag

EkulTeabag Seventh Year

I would definitely prevent my sister from getting into that cocaine addiction that put her several thousand pounds in debt. And also get my dog tested for cancer which she's now dying from.

And probably, just probably, try and keep hold of some old friendships that withered and died. I say "probably", because as Chime said, I doubt I'd want to experience those things again; I kind of cringe when I think about what we were like as teenagers. I'd try to get closer to some of the people I was not friends with, but acquainted with. Like the guys that got me into progressive rock. Wonder what they're up to these days.

8. Vira

Vira Order Member

To be honest, it’d be depressed if I ended up in a Peggy Sue scenario. There's nothing like getting to age 22 and being vaguely happy with yourself and your freedom only to go back to being a sheltered eleven-year-old in 2003. I'd lose my friends because I wouldn't have the patience or sympathy for their immaturity. I'd change schools again and enter the public school system. I wouldn't concentrate on grades, but compared to university, middle school is nothing. I wouldn't be able to stop my parents from splitting up temporarily, but I may stop them from moving and making me switch high schools.

I wouldn't be into fanfiction because everything would be crap, so no DLP. Maybe I could get my internet friends back, but it wouldn't be the right time or place and it'd be frustrating. The only good thing that would happen is raising my high school grades and getting into a university that isn't twenty minutes away from my house. Maybe on the other side of Canada.

After that, who knows. It's not like I've done much that I'd bother changing, even now.

9. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box Prestige

High Score:
    I'd probably only go back a few years, maybe to when I started uni, and I wouldn't really change much significant. Be a bit more sociable, put myself forward for things a little more. Think more about what I wanted to do with my life, start writing earlier. The only really major specific thing I'd think about changing would be being a bit more open and honest with my ex about my feelings; I don't think it would have stopped her dumping me, but at least I'd know I'd done everything I could /obligatory angst

10. Platypus

Platypus Groundskeeper

If I went back to 11...

I would still put my foot down concerning going to the advanced middle school, and would probably try to stop my sister from being sent there. It's about fifty/fifty on whether I'd force the issue and go to public school, or let my parents homeschool me like they'd wanted to, because it was actually a lot simpler to get into special programs from the middle school than it was to go for it from public school.

I could also ask them to let me skip a couple of grades, which was an option given to me by the principal at the time. In that case, I'd start high school early, maybe within a year, and from there the structure of this particular school would let me graduate within three years (doing a summer program), with several credits from the local community college.

I would probably have to finish out my last year there by staying with the family of a friend, because my parents would move to Arizona. I despised living in Arizona and would hate to go back there, which is why I would put myself through the high school mess that was offered to me instead of regaining old friends (that I didn't meet until middle school, and high school in Arizona).

I'd be able to pick where I wanted to go, and have the money to do it this way - because graduating at 15/16 with a GED after homeschooling didn't do much for getting me scholarships, plus my parents and I had no idea what we were doing before we ran out of money - and I would be able to focus on medical programs from the get go, rather than easing my way into them like I'm having to do now.

And while I'm at it, I'll go ahead and write a saga of a crime-fighting Peggy Sue duo who were accidentally caught up in an MIB equivalent's time travel fail safe after the Earth was annihilated by aliens, and I'd try to get that published for the lolz.

Then there are a handful of little things that I'd fix - stuff with extended family, nag my parents into catching my sister's cancer earlier, and 'figure out' my brother's fatal aspirin allergy before he has a major incident.

Clearly, I've also put too much thought into this.

11. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Women are impossible to please even when they have everything they could ever have from you. Being open just gives them more ammo to use against you when they go full cunt on you.

If I could time travel I'd go back into the past and destroy the white man for trading our land for some fucking beads.

In all seriousness, with how my life has been I'd go back to when I first met my wife and try and stick it out with her instead of splitting and then later getting back together. You wouldn't believe the boundary issues that's caused. I'd also like to go forward in time to when my son can wipe his own ass cause no one has time for shitty diapers.

If I never planned on having kids or having the life I have now I would go back in time and do more drugs.

However this is all contradictory to how I really feel because I don't live on what ifs or what could have been. Life is life and then you die and then it doesn't matter.

Worm food.

12. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Buy bitcoin.

13. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I would have taken better care of my health and gotten my wisdom teeth out while I had dental coverage and taken up fencing earlier in high school. Definitely would have gotten a good fountain pen earlier. Aside from that, I can't imagine doing too much to alter the course of my life since there's enough good going on that I wouldn't easily give it up for the chance of something better.

14. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Write all the cool fanfics before they were cool an cash in cool points on DLP.

15. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I'd wait for the next winning California lotto numbers to be called then go back just enough to buy a ticket and cash out.

16. Fishy Justice

Fishy Justice Fourth Year

Pull an Irene in a game of mafia.

17. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box Prestige

High Score:
    Well, that's certainly a point of view. It's more about satisfying myself; I get annoyed with myself when I don't live up to my principles.

This. Definitely this.

18. someone010101

someone010101 Groundskeeper

I spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about that too. But since I usually think about fiction anyway, that's not to great a loss.

I believe the most difficult points are body language and mannerism. Hard to believe, but I changed a lot in the last few years. If I went back without some kind of autopilot, my family, friends, acquaintances, teachers and just about anybody would notice immediately. The majority won't care, but what would I tell my family? "The old me is gone, welcome the brand new new me"? "I'm actually the mature version of your son, mom. The eleven year old is, uh. Iunno where it is, actually."?
    That's one thing Peggy Sues in ffs rarely adress, imo. If Gary!Harry wound up in twelve year old Harrys body, whatever happened to twelve year old Harry? Are we really supposed his friends (Ron, Hermione) won't care that canon Harry is suddenly just gone?

Morality aside, I think the cleanest solution would be to go back to when I was just an infant. An unpleasant time, but I can deal. I can probably grow up and learn both my fathers and my mothers language instead of forgetting one, then learning the other twice.
    Probably can't keep them from splitting up and I don't want to change my living arrangements from back then, but maybe I could keep channels open to my father.

I don't know much about politics and have no great ambition to speak of, so I'd probably send a mail about 9/11 and leave it at that. Foreknowledge isn't that great an advantage if there's no solution to be found, even in the future.

Another way would be to go back just a few years, my graduating year in highschool or the year just before that. I could probably cover up the changes somewhat, depending on when I'd arrived and there's a decent amount of opportunities I've missed.

Middle way would actually place me somehere around eleven. There's just no way I can pretend to be eleven year old me. On top of that, I was really into games, especially Magic the Gathering. And there's no way I can pretend to still suck that much and no way that'd still be fun.

So I'd be forced to get a new hobby, preferably something that covers my dramatic character change. Reading and maybe writing sounds tailor made to that situation. And then I could pretend to get inspiration from these books and further change myself.

As I said, no grand ambition to speak of. I dont have the thechnical know how to accelerate our tech by a decade and I lack the political knowledge to really do anything there. All I could do is change myself.

19. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd go back towards the end of High School, when I was deciding what to do at Uni. As much as I enjoyed doing a degree in politics, my original plan was to do some form of geology/geography/engineering and I only didn't go ahead with that because I thought I wasn't good enough at maths/sciences. I actually ended up getting all the grades I'd have needed to get into any of the courses I'd originally looked at, but I'd convinced myself I wouldn't be able to manage them at Uni level.

I'm pretty damn certain I'd actually have managed them fine back then, and I'd be even more able to deal with them now.

I've now witnessed how much money people make in the oil and gas sector, and damn do I wish I'd gone into engineering/geology. So much money...

20. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves High Inquisitor

I don't know. I kinda like the way my life is right now. Thanks for the offer, though.