1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Realism: Breaking Clichés by Shadow Rebirth K+

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Anarual, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Anarual

Anarual Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Title: Realism: Breaking Clichés
    Author: Shadow Rebirth
    Genre: Harry Potter
    Rating: K+
    DLP Category: Humor/Parody
    Word Count: 3.6k
    Summary: A collection of one-shots that show how different situations could occur in the real world, rather than the clichéd world of fanfiction. Warning! Parody ahead.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4339028/2/Realism_Breaking_Cliches

Author making fun of all the cliches he can find.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  2. hchan1

hchan1 Sixth Year

Read through all 6 snippets. None of them were the slightest bit amusing.

3. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

You linked chapter 2.

I doesn't really matter though, as either way, I don't like it.

4. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Quote for truth.

5. GDC

GDC Squib

I found 4 and 5 amusing.

6. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Hermione adresses Harry in The last line in chapter six, but I've edited it as a response to the story as a whole:

7. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

This.

I hate stories like this. I mean, sure, its funny when its done decently, and it catches you off guard.. But, I mean, come on.. How many people are going to write parodies of clichés? Bit dated, really... MAYBE THEY SHOULD WRITE A PARODY OF A PARODY! Genius. :awesome

8. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Does anyone else get the feeling people are just posting crap on a daily basis to mess with us? Wait is that a question....

9. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I thought the fandom had collectively progressed from making parodies of Mary Sues and cliches... oh, about two years ago.

Seems I was mistaken.

This is hilarious in the worst, most non-humorous way possible - the supertrunk fell out of use before I even fell into fanfiction. As for Chapter Two, the ending had my eyebrow arched in smug condescension - how does any writer pick the most uncreative, most often-used punchline possible?

1/5 for unabashed stupidity and shittiness.

No, it isn't.

10. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

Absolutely nothing funny, this shit didn't even get a smile. 0/5 HP fanfiction is dead. Only people that are writing are gay people and people who use overly used plots with horrible writing styles.

Harry: Hi Tonks!
    Tonks: Wotcher Harry!
    Harry: So you fucking Remus?

and the worst part of it is it had like 100 (good) reviews?

Disclaimer: Dialogue is made up, the rest isn't.

EDIT: Well they do have a very few people who are actually writing good stories.

11. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

I read three of them. None of those three were funny, or even grin-inspiring. The author would do better putting his/her effort into writing a real story.

EDIT: I take that back. I just noticed that the author was in fact, not esama, but the author of an average HorribleName!Harry and a decent Naruto fic. He/she needs to scrap Harry Potter and invest more time in Naruto.

12. psihary

psihary Groundskeeper

... I've got a polar bear for a neighbour...
    Punk... fanfiction Will Never Die...

I wonder how would the people from WbA answer to that statement... O_0

13. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

I'm personally contemplating the possibilities offered by a chainsaw.

14. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

It's closer to being a list of clichés than parody of them. Although chapters two and six amused me a tad. 2/5

15. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

It's just a collection of throw-away ideas, nothing more, nothing less.

Number 4 wasn't half-bad, but the more serious attempts, aside from Shades of Grey, are much better all around.

16. DreamRed

DreamRed Seventh Year

Good god, this is just awful. This is the kind of stuff people try and include in their fics to prove that really they're not cliche'd at all (why just look how they're mocking it!) but Harry still ends up with a magical trunk. Only this way, he can't stay in it for too long or he'll suffocate. Oh bravo.

1/5

17. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

Fuck you. Get the fuck out of here before we storm your ass out. I'm sure there are quite a few people that post stories in the WbA section that will agree with me when I say that you are an ignoramus. If you're so damn stuck up that you can't take even the smallest amount of pleasure from a stupid fic once in a while, I pity you. I seriously do. Now get the fuck out.

Edit: Before anyone starts jumping on me, no, I'm not supporting this "fic". I haven't even bothered to read it. I'm just in a bad mood, and Scott here volunteered to be my relief.

18. carvell

carvell Professor DLP Supporter

Only the first chapter gave me a laugh -- "I'M A FLAMINGO?!" --
    after that i suppose the third chapter could be expanded if it was a setup by Dumbledore so Tom could kill Harry and solve the horcrux problem......

2/5

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  19. Methene

Methene Auror

Because naturally, you are the one divine source of judging HP fanfiction... And to come to the heart of the matter, I fail to see how HP fanfiction is dead. I have seen DLP expand into other areas, but I still come here for the HP part of the site.

However, due to your divine judgement, I have seen the light. I will delete every single HP story I wrote, tear all my notes to shreds and start writing Ping Pong, Hercules, Xena, Zorro and Bugs Bunny fanfiction. All in one single crossover, naturally, because that is the new black.

If those aren't cosmopolitan enough for your tastes, please let me know, so I may change my writing habits accordingly.

To give some cold hard rebuttals to your criticism, I present the following:

The French Affair by Sesc

Plot is extremely interesting, not cliche in the slightest, the writing style is very good and I am rather sure Sesc does not belong to the gay category you have proclaimed.

Harry Rookwood by Vlad-the-inhaler

Same as above, interesting plot, not cliche, good writing style and none of the gayness you so highly proclaimed. I don't see slash either, so I am unsure where your criticisms were meant to strike home.

I have provided links, in case your simple mind was incapable of finding the Work by Author section, and was relying solely on the FFN Just in time section, or whatever it's called.

Perhaps you have missed other sections as well... If there are any other links you require, please let me know.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  20. SerDel

SerDel Third Year

I don't think the HP fanfiction is dead; it's just that the longer you are here the more of new fics are carp to you. Example: Nightmare of the Future Past was one of the first HP non canon pieces I read, and considered really good. Now I cannot look at it.

As to the gay comment, I think that the slash is actually written by fangirls or females aged ~40, not the gay people.

Still, there are new interesting fics out there, and every time I dound one I'm slightly overjoyed.

As to the fic: it's is not one of those good fics. Nothing amusing in it, saw a gazilion of similar parodies, not even a smile for me.